Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen other posts about folks having wireless charging (Qi) for their phones not working or not working well. I had a 2019 T5 and mine worked flawlessly. My 2021 P8 though, same phone and case (thin) hardly charge if at all. The car will give a message of 'phone not charging' when I'm stopped at a light sometimes, so its not like the phone moved during a turn and the Qi coils didn't line up or such.

Anyone have this on their P8? Did they get it fixed by dealer under warranty? Any technical journals or things to say to make that process go faster?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I first got the car, I had an issue with it charging on/off. Now it charges reliably, but yes it is slow/standard, not fast charging, for some reason. Maybe they can upgrade it with a software update in the future

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first got the car, I had an issue with it charging on/off. Now it charges reliably, but yes it is slow/standard, not fast charging, for some reason. Maybe they can upgrade it with a software update in the future
Yours just randomly got better?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wireless charging has always worked reliably for me in my P8 (iPhone 12 Pro Max, bumper case around edges only). As long as I position it correctly in the first place & make sure it's seated all the way "down" toward the shift knob.

The only mention I've seen from Volvo is an iPhone 12 charging issue fixed in the April car software update (which confusingly displays March 18 as the Android kernel build date). Most of us should have already had this software release when our cars were delivered, unless you bought a dealer demo or something:

Updates from April 2021.
  • Preheating of the battery when charging to 90% and 100%, gives improved range. No preheating when charging under 90%.
  • Profile handling and opportunity to select miles per hour unit for Care Key.
  • OTA (Over-the-Air) software updates: Fixed a bug in which notification of a completed update was not shown.
  • Vehicle status application: Fixed a bug in which information on the number of kilometers sometimes didn't show correct values.
  • Clock in vehicle: Bug fixed in which incorrect time was sometimes shown.
  • Profile settings:
    • Review of private settings in the startup guide.
  • Bluetooth-connected phone: Stability improvements for certain phone models.
  • Problem with wireless charging for iPhone 12 is fixed.
  • Improvements in AC performance at high temperatures.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We have iPhone 12 Mini (Wife/myself) and we have never been happy with the wireless charging pad. We switched to wired charging, etc. Even with the above noted software update, the charger would make our phones hot (too hot to touch at times) and the % SOC would go down or stay the same; never going up charging correctly. Ugh! C’mon Volvo fix this!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Wireless charging has always worked reliably for me in my P8 (iPhone 12 Pro Max, bumper case around edges only). As long as I position it correctly in the first place & make sure it's seated all the way "down" toward the shift knob.

The only mention I've seen from Volvo is an iPhone 12 charging issue fixed in the April car software update (which confusingly displays March 18 as the Android kernel build date). Most of us should have already had this software release when our cars were delivered, unless you bought a dealer demo or something:

Updates from April 2021.
  • Preheating of the battery when charging to 90% and 100%, gives improved range. No preheating when charging under 90%.
  • Profile handling and opportunity to select miles per hour unit for Care Key.
  • OTA (Over-the-Air) software updates: Fixed a bug in which notification of a completed update was not shown.
  • Vehicle status application: Fixed a bug in which information on the number of kilometers sometimes didn't show correct values.
  • Clock in vehicle: Bug fixed in which incorrect time was sometimes shown.
  • Profile settings:
    • Review of private settings in the startup guide.
  • Bluetooth-connected phone: Stability improvements for certain phone models.
  • Problem with wireless charging for iPhone 12 is fixed.
  • Improvements in AC performance at high temperatures.
Preheating of battery improves range. Okay Volvo how do we present heat our battery to get this improved range?
As Volvo is not here how does one pre heat the battery?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Preheating of battery improves range. Okay Volvo how do we present heat our battery to get this improved range?
As Volvo is not here how does one pre heat the battery?
I assume the Volvo documentation means this is something the car is (now) doing all by itself - not us - with this software update.

Perhaps we can stick to the point of this thread - wireless phone charging? Sorry I included this distracting text....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Back to wireless charging.
can you take a picture of your perfectly positioned phone so I can mimic it. It charges for me but slow and very hot. Maybe the 12 pro max does not align properly?

I have to say this though. If the car magically pre heated the battery before charging all on its own … how would it know before hand …hence the pre in preheating. Or perhaps when set to 90 it pre heats the battery as it charges to 80 if it sees the max is set to 90 or above.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry, hard to take a picture of the phone using the phone :) Don't have time to get out my other camera gear. If your phone is charging, you'll see the small "wireless battery" icon on top of the Infotainment screen.

When I say it's working "reliably" - it's charging slowly (this is NOT a "fast Qi" charger") and it gets a little warm, but nothing extreme. Not much different from using the charging pad on my desk. Again, this is a 12 Pro Max with a bumper case around the edges (naked in front & back).

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
I have an iPhone XR with an Otterbox PopSocket case (full case, a little heavy). Wireless charging has worked 95% of the time. Phone occasionally slips off the “sweet spot” after cornering or hard stopping. The charging symbol is subtle and I look for it when I scan the center display, but there have been times when it slipped off or there was something metal on the charger pad and the phone unexpectedly did not charge. I tried using an automation that says “phone is charging”. Found It annoying when the phone slid around.

I thought about removing the ashtray but am concerned it would leave too much space in front of the charging pad and the phone would slip forward.

Overall I find the charging pad a nice-to-have. When I want to make certain the phone gets charged I pull the charging cable out of the center console and plug in. My dealer gave me a free USB C to Lightning cable that I keep in the car.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sorry, hard to take a picture of the phone using the phone :) Don't have time to get out my other camera gear. If your phone is charging, you'll see the small "wireless battery" icon on top of the Infotainment screen.

When I say it's working "reliably" - it's charging slowly (this is NOT a "fast Qi" charger") and it gets a little warm, but nothing extreme. Not much different from using the charging pad on my desk. Again, this is a 12 Pro Max with a bumper case around the edges (naked in front & back).
Oops good point re phone on phone photography :p
Slow and warm is where I am. I was just worried it would go slow and hot followed by slow and fire. As we have had no fires in our community it is probably just slow and warm to hot.

I also ordered usbc to lightning cables.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts