Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my first non-software issue :/ I have been getting "phone not charging, clear pad of obstructions" notifications pretty much every trip lately. It charges for like the first 10 minutes and then I get this. Anybody else getting this notification? I'm wondering if my dash cam is taking some of the current from the pad. Anybody else getting this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having my first non-software issue :/ I have been getting "phone not charging, clear pad of obstructions" notifications pretty much every trip lately. It charges for like the first 10 minutes and then I get this. Anybody else getting this notification? I'm wondering if my dash cam is taking some of the current from the pad. Anybody else getting this?
Just out of curiosity, which phone?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's normal for me. The wireless charger has rarely worked. :-(
That sucks. Does it work and then disconnect or just not work at all? After some googling I have seen the issue posted for the XC40s several times. Looks like the last update fixed an iphone 12 compatibility issue. I have a pixel 5.

·
Registered
315 Posts
We (myself, wife) both have 1yr old iPhone 12 Mini. Wireless charging pad made the phones REALLY hot, even after the update a few versions ago that was supposed to circumvent this. We found the battery charge level (iPhone) didn’t really go up, just got the phone hot. We long ago discontinued use of the Volvo charging pad, sadly. Just wanted to share our results. it would say it “was” charging so our success rate was 100% there (not same issue as you) but the actual charging was nil, just “hot” inducing. Grr…

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a new iPhone 13. Wireless charging doesn’t work at all. It’s not a big deal to just plug it in, but this is another example of Volvo’s ship-it-then-fix-it strategy with the P8.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
We (myself, wife) both have 1yr old iPhone 12 Mini. Wireless charging pad made the phones REALLY hot, even after the update a few versions ago that was supposed to circumvent this. We found the battery charge level (iPhone) didn’t really go up, just got the phone hot. We long ago discontinued use of the Volvo charging pad, sadly. Just wanted to share our results. it would say it “was” charging so our success rate was 100% there (not same issue as you) but the actual charging was nil, just “hot” inducing. Grr…
At least it makes for a nice hand-warmer :)

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge P8
22 Posts
I have a new iPhone 13. Wireless charging doesn’t work at all. It’s not a big deal to just plug it in, but this is another example of Volvo’s ship-it-then-fix-it strategy with the P8.
Thanks for setting my expectations on if a new phone would charge better.

The ship-it-then-fix-it strategy was adopted from Tesla and will be the norm in the industry within a few years. Ford Mustang Mach-e had many issues at launch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The wireless charging will not work with a case/cover on. When it does work, the phone overheats anyways. Doesn't work in my BMW's either and also overheats my phones. I have an iphone 12.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine wasn't working when I first got the car, but one of the Volvo updates (maybe June update?) fixed the charging issue. The phone (iPhone 12 Pro and then 13 Pro) still gets really hot while charging wirelessly, so I almost always charge through cable. I'm afraid all that heat will shorten battery life. But it is charging, and I have the Apple MagSafe case on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ours works, but we've started hearing a bit of a rattle coming from it. The other day tried pushing on it a bit, then noticed that it doesn't seem to be attached (lifted up with pressure on the front). Is everyone's else fully placed? Wife is at work with it now, but I can take a picture later.

The wireless charger itself works, but continues to be an overrated thing. A cable is much more efficient and practical. With wireless, you can't really use the phone (if you're a passenger or say at home) while it is charging while with a cable you can. I get it is a stepping stone to over the air charging (which would be neat) but it is a check box for now. Get a good USB-C cable and be done with it.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
I have the note 20 ultra in an OEM case. It charges slow at about 5% increase over a 20 minute drive. I consider the temperature of the phone to be warm afterwards, but not hot.
Try experimenting with the placement of the phone (front to back). It might make a difference as to how efficient it charges (and heat).

·
Registered
73 Posts
The wireless charging will not work with a case/cover on. When it does work, the phone overheats anyways. Doesn't work in my BMW's either and also overheats my phones. I have an iphone 12.
My iPhone 11 Pro Max in a case charges fine and doesn’t overheat. Case thickness and materials can be an issue. For those with the iPhone 13, have you tried it without a case or have you turned the phone 180 degrees to see of it helps?

One thing to check is to see of the rubber mat that covers the charger is seated properly. You can remove it. It it’s not flush against the charging plate, then your phone is too far from it to charge.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Mine works but it causes my phone to get really hot so I do not use it. I have a usbc to lightning cable instead.

The really hot is probably just a function of the charging method and my case vs a Volvo problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ours works, but we've started hearing a bit of a rattle coming from it. The other day tried pushing on it a bit, then noticed that it doesn't seem to be attached (lifted up with pressure on the front). Is everyone's else fully placed? Wife is at work with it now, but I can take a picture later.

The wireless charger itself works, but continues to be an overrated thing. A cable is much more efficient and practical. With wireless, you can't really use the phone (if you're a passenger or say at home) while it is charging while with a cable you can. I get it is a stepping stone to over the air charging (which would be neat) but it is a check box for now. Get a good USB-C cable and be done with it.
It is not fully attached. It is a rubber sheet over the actual wireless charger. I took mine off and repositioned it and am making sure to place the phone at the very bottom of the pad. I'm having no issues now but will update if I do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I gave up on it and just use a cable when on road trips. I read about some people having to install a new one, which involves removing the entire dash and taking several days, and other people where the problem was particular to the iphone 12 (which is what I have) and being solved via software update. Either way it wasn't important enough for me to take the car to the shop for a whole week. It's still a convenient spot to put my phone in while I drive, even if it doesn't charge

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I gave up on it and just use a cable when on road trips. I read about some people having to install a new one, which involves removing the entire dash and taking several days, and other people where the problem was particular to the iphone 12 (which is what I have) and being solved via software update. Either way it wasn't important enough for me to take the car to the shop for a whole week. It's still a convenient spot to put my phone in while I drive, even if it doesn't charge
Is there a way to switch if the charging as I live putting my phone there but have to angle it so it does not charge and therefore over heat …

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there a way to switch if the charging as I live putting my phone there but have to angle it so it does not charge and therefore over heat …
I use one of those magnet card holders that sticks to the back of my iPhone and find that it's enough padding to keep the wireless charger from activating. I bet if you put a piece of cardboard or styrofoam down the same would be true.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts