Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am having the problem described in the tittle. Is this normal or should I take it to the dealership for repairs? Is it an effective charger? (I am using iPhones and all the phones get super hot, independently of their iOS 13 or 14).

Phones charge normally in any other wireless charger.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gus

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have the same issue. Will work one day and not the next. I guess they have problems with it hence the reason that option was dropped for the 2021 models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank for your answer Whiteyjfm. The 2021 still has the option for the wireless charging, included in the premium package. I guess I will have to take my car to see if they can repair it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank for your answer Whiteyjfm. The 2021 still has the option for the wireless charging, included in the premium package. I guess I will have to take my car to see if they can repair it.
Please keep us informed of the progress. I've owned a new XC40 for 4 days and have experienced the same problem.

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please keep us informed of the progress. I've owned a new XC40 for 4 days and have experienced the same problem.

Paul
I will. I got an appointment for the 20th. I hope there is a solution. What is the point of having wireless charging if it doesn't work?

By the way, I am curious, Is anybody using wireless charging on their XC40 successfully?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will. I got an appointment for the 20th. I hope there is a solution. What is the point of having wireless charging if it doesn't work?

By the way, I am curious, Is anybody using wireless charging on their XC40 successfully?
It works well in my 2020 XC40 Momentum. My phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max. It doesn't get hot. It charges relatively quickly. My only complaint so far with the car (got it in May of this year) is that CarPlay requires a wire. Seems silly but is not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It works well in my 2020 XC40 Momentum. My phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max. It doesn't get hot. It charges relatively quickly. My only complaint so far with the car (got it in May of this year) is that CarPlay requires a wire. Seems silly but is not a deal breaker.
I am glad to read that. It is NOT my case at all. I have an appointment next week, I'll write again after the repair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. Please do update us. Just in case mine that is working starts acting up, it would be nice to know what the fix is. I had been rocking an iPhone 7 until I bought the XC40. Since the 7 wouldn't do wireless charging, I upgraded to an iPhone 11 Pro Max just so I could use the wireless charging. So far, it has worked as great as my Samsung 15W Qi wireless charging stand at home. Very happy, but it has only been 3-months. With COVID-19 and everything, I haven't been driving as much. So, perhaps my problems have been delayed due to a lack of a lot of use. I am home more than on the road lately, but for the few hours on the road each week, it has worked well. The phone pretty much stays at 100%.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is working fine. I have a '20 R-Design iPhone XS and wireless chargeable case. The phone does get warm but it all works fine.

Matt

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my 2020 XC40 for 3 weeks now, love everything about it, the only issue I have is the wireless charging. I called the dealer today and they told me that very slow charging is normal.
For all of you say your wireless charger works, does it read as a fast charger?
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and it gets hot and will only charge about 10% in an hour. Just want to see if this is normal.
Thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my 2020 XC40 for 3 weeks now, love everything about it, the only issue I have is the wireless charging. I called the dealer today and they told me that very slow charging is normal.
For all of you say your wireless charger works, does it read as a fast charger?
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and it gets hot and will only charge about 10% in an hour. Just want to see if this is normal.
Thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to read that others are still having problems. Maybe it is as simple as where all of us are located and it is summer? Is it getting hotter because of the temperature outside? Are any of you leaving the phone in the Volvo XC40? Are any of you placing the phone on the charger when it is almost dead to begin with? I must admit that my phone is usually at 100% charge when I leave the house. So, putting it on the charging mat/cradle as soon as I get in my car means that it is not going to lose any charge but it also isn't having to charge it up either. When I get to my destination, I take my phone with me and may use it sparingly. So, when I get back to the car, it might still be saying 90% charge. I place it down on the mat and when I get to my next destination, it is 95% or 100% again. Mind you, that most of my trips are local runs. From home to work is a 15-minute drive. From home to the grocery stores is 5, 10, 15 or 20-minutes depending on which one I go to. Visiting friends or family is never more than 30-minutes away but often less. The mall, doctor offices, dentist, car dealer again, are all 20-minutes or less away (with traffic). So, perhaps I am not the best candidate to prove that the charger makes my phone get hot or take too long to charge. My longest trip so far, since getting the XC40 in May, has just been a 3-hour drive up into the mountains of Western Maryland. Still my iPhone 11 lasted the entire day and I got back home with still over 50% battery and I was using the phone to talk, to people, as well as take pictures and video during the hike in the mountains. Each time I reach to take the phone out of the Volvo and carry it with me, it does not feel hot to the touch. I get no warning on the iPhone that says it is too hot either. I did see that once with an iPhone 7. However, I did not have the Volvo then, and that was when I was on the top of the Hoover Dam and it was about 119 degrees in the sun. Using it to record, at that time, the phone was overheating and it shutdown to preserve itself. My iPhone is in a case. I bought it on Amazon:

TORRAS iPhone 11 Pro Max Case, Non-Slip Anti-Fingerprint Shockproof Liquid Silicone with Microfiber Lining Shock Absorption Gel Rubber Full Body Protection Case for iPhone 11 Pro Max, Black

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to read that others are still having problems. Maybe it is as simple as where all of us are located and it is summer? Is it getting hotter because of the temperature outside? Are any of you leaving the phone in the Volvo XC40? Are any of you placing the phone on the charger when it is almost dead to begin with? I must admit that my phone is usually at 100% charge when I leave the house. So, putting it on the charging mat/cradle as soon as I get in my car means that it is not going to lose any charge but it also isn't having to charge it up either. When I get to my destination, I take my phone with me and may use it sparingly. So, when I get back to the car, it might still be saying 90% charge. I place it down on the mat and when I get to my next destination, it is 95% or 100% again. Mind you, that most of my trips are local runs. From home to work is a 15-minute drive. From home to the grocery stores is 5, 10, 15 or 20-minutes depending on which one I go to. Visiting friends or family is never more than 30-minutes away but often less. The mall, doctor offices, dentist, car dealer again, are all 20-minutes or less away (with traffic). So, perhaps I am not the best candidate to prove that the charger makes my phone get hot or take too long to charge. My longest trip so far, since getting the XC40 in May, has just been a 3-hour drive up into the mountains of Western Maryland. Still my iPhone 11 lasted the entire day and I got back home with still over 50% battery and I was using the phone to talk, to people, as well as take pictures and video during the hike in the mountains. Each time I reach to take the phone out of the Volvo and carry it with me, it does not feel hot to the touch. I get no warning on the iPhone that says it is too hot either. I did see that once with an iPhone 7. However, I did not have the Volvo then, and that was when I was on the top of the Hoover Dam and it was about 119 degrees in the sun. Using it to record, at that time, the phone was overheating and it shutdown to preserve itself. My iPhone is in a case. I bought it on Amazon:

TORRAS iPhone 11 Pro Max Case, Non-Slip Anti-Fingerprint Shockproof Liquid Silicone with Microfiber Lining Shock Absorption Gel Rubber Full Body Protection Case for iPhone 11 Pro Max, Black

I'm working from home right now, so if I ever drive anywhere, it's within 5 minutes.
I never leave the phone on the charger once I've parked. I've tried with and without the case.
Last weekend was my longest drive at a little over an hour, and that's where I noticed that in that time, it had only charged it about 10 percent.
When you place your phone on the charger, does it just say wireless charging? Or fast charging?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll pay attention the next time I am out in the car. I am pretty sure I just see the lightning bolt sign. I don't think I have ever seen it say in the car or at home "Wireless charging" or Fast Charging". Is that a Samsung thing and not something that iPhones do? I am curious now. I do believe that the max wattage an iPhone can pull from a Qi wireless charging pad right now is 7.5 watts. So, that may be the answer too. The wireless pad in our XC40s isn't going to give you as much as a 15W or 18W wall charger. How fast does it charge if you connect it to the USB port?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, I'm not familiar with iphones either. Right now I have a 45w super fast charger, so it will get it to about 50% in about 15 minutes.
I know with Samsung phones it will display on the phone the type of charging, so it will either just say wireless, fast wireless, or super fast

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even with a Galaxy Note Ultra, regardless of a 45W charger, isn't the max it will do only 25W?

Of course this has nothing to do with the wireless charging pad in our XC40s, but I found that while looking for information on is there a way to see if an iPhone says something special if it is fast charging or not, as opposed to just simply charging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I have an update after taking my XC40 (3 months old) to the dealer. The first time, they tested the charger and told me that everything was OK, they tried it and it was charging without heating up their phones (this visit to the dealer took 3 hours of testing). They suggested to “unlock” the phone before sitting it on the charger, which I though was useless because charging has nothing to do with locking the phone. They asked me to try that for a week and if it didn’t work they would look again.

Just on the ride back from the dealer I confirmed that my phone was still heating up and not charging. Then I took the car to another branch from the same dealer a few weeks later. I showed them a picture I took leaving my house with 100% charge and another picture I took when I got to the dealer with 96%.

After another inspection they discovered that one of the “charging modules” is faulty and it shuts off when a phone is placed on the charger. They apologized for not seeing the problem before and made an appointment for the 29 because the whole console will have to come out to do the repairs (and they will have to give me a loaner for a few days).

So there you have it. The car is supposed to charge the phone (rather quickly they said) and there are “faulty charging modules” out there. I suggest to do the pictures (I took them with another iPhone so they were able to see the time and location of the beginning and end of the trip) so they take you seriously. When I apologized for being a pest about something so insignificant, they reminded me that this is a feature that I paid for and it should work as expected.

I will update after I get the car back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awesome, thanks for updating. Also for letting me know about the 45w charger.
So I tested it out again a bit ago.
I got in the car, placed the phone on the charging pad, took a picture, drove for 30 minutes and then took another picture.
5% in 30 minutes.
That doesn't seem right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts