Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a U2-AIR for my C40, and after a firmware update I'm perfectly happy with how it works so far. Phone calls, media, and maps all work as expected. The box is small enough to tuck into and sit vertically against the side of the central storage/charging recess below the USB ports. I'll probably add a piece of velcro to hold it there. It's very unobtrusive.

It boots up quick, runs fast enough, and connects automatically when I sit down in the car. Just what I was looking for.

If you want to purchase one on Amazon, note that they appear to have several listings, and when I made my purchase one of the listings had a $30 coupon while the others didn't.
Hi,
i had read that it needed to be Ottocast UX2 Pro model for the C40. Which model do you use, please ?

· Registered
XC40 recharge 2022
55 Posts
The Ottocast U2-X Pro works in my 2022 XC40 EV ... more or less. Frequently, though, when I start up it seems to connect to CarPlay, and then just gives a black screen. Occasionally it starts playing music from the app that was running previously in CarPlay but the screen stays black. What I typically have to do is unplug the adaptor from the USB port, then plug it back in, at which point I get the Bluetooth "Connect to CarPlay vs. Volvo" dialog, after which it connects to my phone and works as it should (apart from the aggressiveness of CarPlay in starting up an app without my asking it to). I suspect this is the sort of thing that's supposed to be corrected in update 2.5, which refers to some CarPlay problem being fixed, but I don't know. Anyway, when the adaptor gets its act together, it works fine.

· Registered
296 Posts
The Ottocast U2-X Pro works in my 2022 XC40 EV ... more or less. Frequently, though, when I start up it seems to connect to CarPlay, and then just gives a black screen. Occasionally it starts playing music from the app that was running previously in CarPlay but the screen stays black. What I typically have to do is unplug the adaptor from the USB port, then plug it back in, at which point I get the Bluetooth "Connect to CarPlay vs. Volvo" dialog, after which it connects to my phone and works as it should (apart from the aggressiveness of CarPlay in starting up an app without my asking it to). I suspect this is the sort of thing that's supposed to be corrected in update 2.5, which refers to some CarPlay problem being fixed, but I don't know. Anyway, when the adaptor gets its act together, it works fine.
try this: let it load before shifting into reverse. Once it loads, shift into reverse. That may solve the problem.

· Registered
296 Posts
It didn't work for me, yes, in a C40. It would feed into the screen, but it wasn't rendered properly so 1) things looked wrong and 2) the touchscreen becomes useless. I ordered the AIR and will try that when it arrives.
I was having the same issue and got this one to try it out (I bought from Amazon and have until 1/31 to return). This one loads faster and works very well

View attachment 5315

· Registered
XC40 recharge 2022
55 Posts
try this: let it load before shifting into reverse. Once it loads, shift into reverse. That may solve the problem.
This does seem to work: when I get in the car, wait until the CarPlay initialization has completed, and only then shift into gear (either forward or reverse) CarPlay works as it should. It's a (minor) pain, though, and I hope that this is something the 2.5 update's mention of fixing CarPlay bugs will address.
I also find that when for one reason or another my phone's net service drops for a while, the CarPlay stuff gets messed up and has to be completely restarted to get back to normal. This is probably not an issue for Volvo's implementation, though.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts