Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car: 2021 XC40 Recharge P8
Software: 2.3 (waiting for OTA 2.4 and will update if it changes anything below)
Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max
Adapters tested: CarLinkit AI Box and Ottocast Wireless U2-X Pro (links at bottom)

Experience:

When CarPlay finally arrived in the XC40/C40 Recharge models, I tried my older CarLinkit wireless CarPlay adapter I had used in my Volvo S60 (Sensus OS). It didn’t work in the Recharge. Since then, others have reported that none of the adapters worked, until recently, when a poster on another thread mentioned one that did work. I bought it, but later returned it, watched some YouTube videos on more recent models, and bought another. Here are my experiences for those interested in wireless CarPlay:

1. CarlinKit Wireless Android Auto & Wireless CarPlay Ai Box Adapter Multimedia Box

When I plugged in this unit, it went through the set-up quite easily. The written instructions are minimal. It first loads the Android Auto screen and sat there. However, there is an icon for AutoKit, which opens to a menu where you can choose CarPlay, and if you go into settings, you can choose “auto-connect” so that you don’t have to tap the screen to get into CarPlay. None of this is in the written or onscreen instructions.

LOADING: Loading takes time, sometimes up to a minute. However, it first loads Android Auto, then goes to CarPlay. I emailed with the company through Amazon and while the English was not so great, it was clear that it has to load Android Auto first. So, loading is slow and it will not load directly to CarPlay.

RESPONSIVENESS: Like any wireless adapter, there is a small lag (1 second) when changing songs/pausing/playing music from the Apple Music app. This is no different than any other wireless adapter.

CALLS: No noticeable lag - I had several clear calls and no complaints from those I called.

PROS/CONS: When I first used Waze in CarPlay to navigate, my Google map in the instrument cluster remained, which is odd because with wired CarPlay, use of Waze made the cluster go black. While using Waze, I could go back to the car’s SiriusXM AAOS app to play music/news, but display CarPlay Waze as well.

However, after a few days, using Waze turned off the instrument cluster, and going to the SiriusXM AAOS App to choose a station, then back to CarPlay caused issues. First, SiriusXM paused when I returned to CarPlay (it didn’t initially). Second, when I went back to CarPlay, the Android Auto screen was displayed, so I had to tap a few times to get to CarPlay. The solution was to listen to SiriusXM through the app in CarPlay. Not a huge deal, but not great.

Staying within CarPlay for your apps works fine - calls, maps, music, etc. It’s nice. But, the boot time and overall wonkiness is a no-go for me.

CONCLUSION: Given the slow boot-up time, and the wonkiness of being able to listen to a non-CarPlay audio app while displaying Waze in CarPlay, I returned it for the device below.

2. OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter U2-X Pro, Newest Android Auto & Apple CarPlay 2 in 1 Adapter, AA Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars

This unit arrived yesterday. Setting it up was a bit more challenging. When I plugged it in and tried to connect to it via BlueTooth, it failed. I tried several times. I then followed the written instructions to do an update. I could not do so, as it tried to load CarPlay and failed. So, I unplugged it from the CarPlay USB-C port and plugged it into the power-only USB-C port to try the update. That worked (nowhere in the instructions). Once I did that, I was able to update the unit, and CarPlay loaded.

LOADING: Much faster than the other unit, and it did not go through Android Auto first. It loaded directly to CarPlay. I got in this morning, put the car in reverse, quickly looked at Google maps on the phone to see if my route to the office was clear (not while driving!), and put the phone on the charging pad before backing out of the garage. By that time (30 seconds or so), the screen showed it was connecting to my phone and CarPlay loaded quickly.

RESPONSIVENESS: As expected, the responsiveness was the same as I’ve experienced with other wireless CarPlay adapters. The only noticeable issue is a 1 second lag when pausing/forwarding/etc music in the Apple Music app (I assume it’s the same with other music apps).

CALLS: I have not made any calls yet (too early to call someone at 5.50AM, but given my prior experience with these adapters, I’m not expecting anything bad - I’ll update later once I make calls.

PROS/CONS: I am able to listen to the car’s SiriusXM AAOS App while I’m using Waze in CarPlay, which is a big plus for me. Navigating with Waze turns off the Google map in the instrument cluster, as it should when navigating within CarPlay (well, “should” because that’s the way it’s set up - I don’t know why it has to turn off!). The unit is small enough to attach to the right side of the battery charging “nook” using some industrial strength Velcro (the other unit was as well). While connect to the phone, there is small blinking blue light that may annoy some - I have freakish peripheral vision, so I see it clearly, but it’s fine - it tells me I’m connected. If it gets annoying, I can always put a small piece of electrical tape over the light or mount it differently.

CONCLUSION: This unit is much better than the first one I discussed. Loading time is faster, and it doesn’t interfere with AAOS apps in use, except for Google maps, which is by design.

I will update later if any issues arise (the first unit was fine for a few days).

Because there are so many versions of each of these devices, here are the links on Amazon for each (they both have discount coupons, but sometimes they disappear and reappear a few days later - they can be returned, so there’s nothing to lose except a little time.

CARLINKIT: CarlinKit Wireless Android Auto & Wireless CarPlay Ai Box Adapter Multimedia Box Spotify/Netflix/YouTube Car Video, Comes with Android 11.0 System, 4G Network/Google Play Download Apps/Built-in GPS https://a.co/d/7gTu44i

OTTOCAST: OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter U2-X Pro, Newest Android Auto & Apple CarPlay 2 in 1 Adapter, AA Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, All-New User Experience, Faster Connection https://a.co/d/7NsmK5a

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm so glad to see that wireless CarPlay adapters that work with Volvo Recharge AAOS are coming out. :)

At this point I'm perfectly happy with Google Maps and ok... I guess... with Spotify. So, in practice the only thing I'm using via BlueTooth right now is Audible, and TBH I'm not sure it's worth it. I have a large back catalog of Audible titles, but Spotify offers audiobooks now. Hmm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so glad to see that wireless CarPlay adapters that work with Volvo Recharge AAOS are coming out. :)

At this point I'm perfectly happy with Google Maps and ok... I guess... with Spotify. So, in practice the only thing I'm using via BlueTooth right now is Audible, and TBH I'm not sure it's worth it. I have a large back catalog of Audible titles, but Spotify offers audiobooks now. Hmm.
If you use CarPlay, wireless is nice - if you don’t, and AAOS/Android works, you’re all set. Nice to have choices!

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,085 Posts

I've been mostly using Tidal for streaming music. The audio quality is noticeably better than AAOS Spotify. The Spotify app is much better, though. (And the Tidal app still sucks in regular Android Auto.) But it's hard to go back to Spotify once you notice the quality drop.

·
Registered
2023 C40 Ultimate
20 Posts
I purchased the U2-X Pro and, after updating the firmware, got it working pretty quickly in my wife's RAV4.

However, when plugging it into my XC60 loaner, it struggles - it's as if it isn't registering the portrait orientation of the Volvo screen.

Is this solved in the "modes" menu of the device while on Wifi direct? If not, anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought a U2-AIR for my C40, and after a firmware update I'm perfectly happy with how it works so far. Phone calls, media, and maps all work as expected. The box is small enough to tuck into and sit vertically against the side of the central storage/charging recess below the USB ports. I'll probably add a piece of velcro to hold it there. It's very unobtrusive.

It boots up quick, runs fast enough, and connects automatically when I sit down in the car. Just what I was looking for.

If you want to purchase one on Amazon, note that they appear to have several listings, and when I made my purchase one of the listings had a $30 coupon while the others didn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter U2-X Pro worked with our 2022 Volvo XC40 recharge. It’s fast and smooth. It didn’t work at first but I did the firmware update and it works like a charm. I tried many wireless CarPlay devices and none worked with our car except this one. https://a.co/d/8PrOJp0

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also got a U2-X Pro last night for my '23 C40. I did the firmware update before I put it in the car as you all seemed to have to do it :) . I popped it in this morning and my iPhone connected; I didn't have time to test everything out but so far so good.

·
Registered
Fusion Red ‘22 C40
27 Posts
Just installed the Ottocast U2-AIR, and it works great. I’ll return the CarLinKit CarPlay Ai Box (CPC200 T-Box Mini) that I’d been using. The Ottocast is much faster to connect, and the CarLinKit didn’t work with the play/pause button on the center of the dash. Had to follow dudedadesq’s instructions to plug the unit into the non-CarPlay USB-C port to connect and update. But after that it was a breeze.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the Ottocast U2-AIR and have been happy with it so far.

Today for the first time I was listening to music with Apple Music app and it was terrible. The Ottocast was clearly having buffering issues and the music had a noticeable defect every 2-3 seconds.

I had already updated firmware but thought I would check again. On the firmware update page I noticed a setting for "audio playback" that was set to "mode 1". I changed this to "default" and playback seems to be working smoothly now. Just posting this in case anyone else runs into crappy audio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I plug in, it seems like it's in forced landscape mode, but the Volvo's screen is portrait.

Anyone else have this issue? Know any solutions? Works fine in my wife's landscape RAV4.
Does your wife’s screen display it in landscape or portrait mode? If landscape, that may be the reason since it was set up for a landscape vehicle. You’d have to make the change in settings, if you can get to the adapter’s settings. You can try to reset it to factory settings, then update the firmware and install it in your Volvo to see if it works in portrait mode.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also got a U2-X Pro last night for my '23 C40. I did the firmware update before I put it in the car as you all seemed to have to do it :) . I popped it in this morning and my iPhone connected; I didn't have time to test everything out but so far so good.
Quick update: I've used it several times this past week and it's played music, podcasts, etc. with no problems. I've also enjoyed not having to pull my phone out of my pocket if I'm not going to be in the car for long. Thanks to the OP for their work in finding a solution!

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
833 Posts
If you use CarPlay, wireless is nice - if you don’t, and AAOS/Android works, you’re all set. Nice to have choices!
I am not sure I want another adaptor device thingy sitting in my C40 when I can listen to Sirius XM and use Apple Music 🎶 through CarPlay. Ain’t a biggie just connecting the wiring harness. I go back and forth nicely if I get bored of either or music genres.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure I want another adaptor device thingy sitting in my C40 when I can listen to Sirius XM and use Apple Music 🎶 through CarPlay. Ain’t a biggie just connecting the wiring harness. I go back and forth nicely if I get bored of either or music genres.
I took a piece of industrial strength Velcro and attached it to the right side of the opening where the USB ports and battery charger are located. It’s out of the way and does not interfere with placing the phone on the charger or picking it up. The device is quite slim.

But, if you’re fine with pluggin in/unplugging your phone each time, then there’s no need for this device. I hate wires and I like the convenience of just getting in and out of the car without having to plug in my phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Can anyone help please. I have a xc40 2021 model and purchased a Motorola MA1 wireless android auto dongle. Its just will not pair on Bluetooth. Have followed the instructions to the letter. Before I return it to Amazon ..do you think its a problem with the car being incompatible with the adapter. Anyone had similar experience and can offer some advice.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
287 Posts
Hi Can anyone help please. I have a xc40 2021 model and purchased a Motorola MA1 wireless android auto dongle. Its just will not pair on Bluetooth. Have followed the instructions to the letter. Before I return it to Amazon ..do you think its a problem with the car being incompatible with the adapter. Anyone had similar experience and can offer some advice.
If your XC40 is a Recharge full-EV model then it doesn't support Android Auto, only Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car: 2021 XC40 Recharge P8
Software: 2.3 (waiting for OTA 2.4 and will update if it changes anything below)
Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max
Adapters tested: CarLinkit AI Box and Ottocast Wireless U2-X Pro (links at bottom)

Experience:

When CarPlay finally arrived in the XC40/C40 Recharge models, I tried my older CarLinkit wireless CarPlay adapter I had used in my Volvo S60 (Sensus OS). It didn’t work in the Recharge. Since then, others have reported that none of the adapters worked, until recently, when a poster on another thread mentioned one that did work. I bought it, but later returned it, watched some YouTube videos on more recent models, and bought another. Here are my experiences for those interested in wireless CarPlay:

1. CarlinKit Wireless Android Auto & Wireless CarPlay Ai Box Adapter Multimedia Box

When I plugged in this unit, it went through the set-up quite easily. The written instructions are minimal. It first loads the Android Auto screen and sat there. However, there is an icon for AutoKit, which opens to a menu where you can choose CarPlay, and if you go into settings, you can choose “auto-connect” so that you don’t have to tap the screen to get into CarPlay. None of this is in the written or onscreen instructions.

LOADING: Loading takes time, sometimes up to a minute. However, it first loads Android Auto, then goes to CarPlay. I emailed with the company through Amazon and while the English was not so great, it was clear that it has to load Android Auto first. So, loading is slow and it will not load directly to CarPlay.

RESPONSIVENESS: Like any wireless adapter, there is a small lag (1 second) when changing songs/pausing/playing music from the Apple Music app. This is no different than any other wireless adapter.

CALLS: No noticeable lag - I had several clear calls and no complaints from those I called.

PROS/CONS: When I first used Waze in CarPlay to navigate, my Google map in the instrument cluster remained, which is odd because with wired CarPlay, use of Waze made the cluster go black. While using Waze, I could go back to the car’s SiriusXM AAOS app to play music/news, but display CarPlay Waze as well.

However, after a few days, using Waze turned off the instrument cluster, and going to the SiriusXM AAOS App to choose a station, then back to CarPlay caused issues. First, SiriusXM paused when I returned to CarPlay (it didn’t initially). Second, when I went back to CarPlay, the Android Auto screen was displayed, so I had to tap a few times to get to CarPlay. The solution was to listen to SiriusXM through the app in CarPlay. Not a huge deal, but not great.

Staying within CarPlay for your apps works fine - calls, maps, music, etc. It’s nice. But, the boot time and overall wonkiness is a no-go for me.

CONCLUSION: Given the slow boot-up time, and the wonkiness of being able to listen to a non-CarPlay audio app while displaying Waze in CarPlay, I returned it for the device below.

2. OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter U2-X Pro, Newest Android Auto & Apple CarPlay 2 in 1 Adapter, AA Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars

This unit arrived yesterday. Setting it up was a bit more challenging. When I plugged it in and tried to connect to it via BlueTooth, it failed. I tried several times. I then followed the written instructions to do an update. I could not do so, as it tried to load CarPlay and failed. So, I unplugged it from the CarPlay USB-C port and plugged it into the power-only USB-C port to try the update. That worked (nowhere in the instructions). Once I did that, I was able to update the unit, and CarPlay loaded.

LOADING: Much faster than the other unit, and it did not go through Android Auto first. It loaded directly to CarPlay. I got in this morning, put the car in reverse, quickly looked at Google maps on the phone to see if my route to the office was clear (not while driving!), and put the phone on the charging pad before backing out of the garage. By that time (30 seconds or so), the screen showed it was connecting to my phone and CarPlay loaded quickly.

RESPONSIVENESS: As expected, the responsiveness was the same as I’ve experienced with other wireless CarPlay adapters. The only noticeable issue is a 1 second lag when pausing/forwarding/etc music in the Apple Music app (I assume it’s the same with other music apps).

CALLS: I have not made any calls yet (too early to call someone at 5.50AM, but given my prior experience with these adapters, I’m not expecting anything bad - I’ll update later once I make calls.

PROS/CONS: I am able to listen to the car’s SiriusXM AAOS App while I’m using Waze in CarPlay, which is a big plus for me. Navigating with Waze turns off the Google map in the instrument cluster, as it should when navigating within CarPlay (well, “should” because that’s the way it’s set up - I don’t know why it has to turn off!). The unit is small enough to attach to the right side of the battery charging “nook” using some industrial strength Velcro (the other unit was as well). While connect to the phone, there is small blinking blue light that may annoy some - I have freakish peripheral vision, so I see it clearly, but it’s fine - it tells me I’m connected. If it gets annoying, I can always put a small piece of electrical tape over the light or mount it differently.

CONCLUSION: This unit is much better than the first one I discussed. Loading time is faster, and it doesn’t interfere with AAOS apps in use, except for Google maps, which is by design.

I will update later if any issues arise (the first unit was fine for a few days).

Because there are so many versions of each of these devices, here are the links on Amazon for each (they both have discount coupons, but sometimes they disappear and reappear a few days later - they can be returned, so there’s nothing to lose except a little time.

CARLINKIT: CarlinKit Wireless Android Auto & Wireless CarPlay Ai Box Adapter Multimedia Box Spotify/Netflix/YouTube Car Video, Comes with Android 11.0 System, 4G Network/Google Play Download Apps/Built-in GPS https://a.co/d/7gTu44i

OTTOCAST: OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter U2-X Pro, Newest Android Auto & Apple CarPlay 2 in 1 Adapter, AA Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, All-New User Experience, Faster Connection https://a.co/d/7NsmK5a
Does it work whit Volvo C40 with Google Automotive system ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts