Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still waiting for my car but just wondered if you plug your phone in for CarPlay then put it on the wireless charging pad, does that charge the phone both through the wire and wirelessly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m still waiting for my car but just wondered if you plug your phone in for CarPlay then put it on the wireless charging pad, does that charge the phone both through the wire and wirelessly?
I'm still rocking an iPhone 7+...

But from what I understand, the wireless charger is awful... even in the 2021 model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
PJC,

Agreed. I feel most problems with the charger are due to thick phone cases. I don't use CarPlay very often due to the need to have it connected via a wire, but I have no problems at all with the wireless charger. I have an iPhone 11 and it works fine. Doesn't get too hot and immediately is recognized by the pad and begins charging which you can see on the iPhone screen and the Volvo center console screen .If I think of it, I will go out to the car and connect a cable up to my iPhone, use CarPlay and leave the phone on the charger to see what happens.

I think most issues is with phones cases..
I think most issues is with phones cases..

·
Registered
6 Posts
The fact that CarPlay requires a wire (which in this day and age is hard to fathom) pretty much negates the charging pad unless you have two people charging at the same time. It does work, but c'mon Apple and Volvo, how 'bout wireless CarPlay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine works find (iPhone 11ProMax), but due to size of the phone I had to buy a cable with 90 degree lightning end in order for it to fit on the charging pad whilst cable connected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fact that CarPlay requires a wire (which in this day and age is hard to fathom) pretty much negates the charging pad unless you have two people charging at the same time. It does work, but c'mon Apple and Volvo, how 'bout wireless CarPlay?
Yeah I know right... considering you can buy a dongle that will make it wireless, why can't they incorporate it into the car...

·
Registered
CANCELED - 2021 XC40 Recharge
99 Posts
I'm still rocking an iPhone 7+...

But from what I understand, the wireless charger is awful... even in the 2021 model.
It worked in the Dealer demo model for the XC40 Recharge - I have book case on mine so had to pull it out to confirm charge but it worked through the case no issue. (Official Apple case here) iPhone XS Max here - fit fine but see issue to do CarPlay (will need a USB-C to Lightning cord)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I am using the CarPlay wireless adapter and the wireless charing pad on my 2019 XC40. It is working fine, very small delay, but somehow my iPhone XS gets extremely hot (not using a case) after 40 min and then I must place it somewhere else, because CarPlay stops working when my phone gets to hot...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I am using the CarPlay wireless adapter and the wireless charing pad on my 2019 XC40. It is working fine, very small delay, but somehow my iPhone XS gets extremely hot (not using a case) after 40 min and then I must place it somewhere else, because CarPlay stops working when my phone gets to hot...
Do you think it get hotter with CarPlay or does it get hot from just normal wireless charging?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you think it get hotter with CarPlay or does it get hot from just normal wireless charging?
I don't know exactly, if it's because the CarPlay or not... I want to test that in the next days and will post an update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know exactly, if it's because the CarPlay or not... I want to test that in the next days and will post an update.
I've forgot to post the update... Sorry
So I've noticed, that when I was not using Apple CarPlay and charging via the wireless charger, my phone gets as hot as the other times, when I was using the wireless CarPlay too. So it's the charging pad, which causes my iPhone to get very hot, that I can't do any inputs to the phone anymore... :/

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
To answer your question, no.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts