Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
C40 - FjordBlue
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as we approach the first winter ownership of our C40 I want to purchase and install a set of winter tires and wheels - what I really want to do is use the factory 18 inch wheels from my Mustang Mach E which are already equipped with a great set of appropriately sized run flat winter/snow tires- which match bore and bolt pattern of the C40.

Has anyone swapped wheels or tires and gone to a square set up away from the factory staggered set up that we have from OEM? As there is no true transmission, transfer case, or driveshaft I can’t imagine the couple percent difference in rotational speed changing between the front and rear axle would be detrimental on the twin electric motor drivetrain.

I imagine all I’d have to do is reset the tire pressure system… but checking here first for other thoughts.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are you concerned that the safe handling characteristics might be negatively impacted? These cars are super heavy for their size.

·
Registered
C40 - FjordBlue
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you concerned that the safe handling characteristics might be negatively impacted? These cars are super heavy for their size.
Not at all -
MachE AWD Curb Weight - 4,600
Volvo C40 Curb Weight - 4,700

Tire size - 225/60r18 VS 235/45r20 and 255/40r20 - and I’ll be honest slightly narrower for winter/snow tires is desirable and we’re less than 2% off for diameter overall

Disc Brake Diameter - MachE 362mm vs C40 345mm fronts - the MachE 18” would more than clear the C40 Brakes

No - as I know what I’d be installing is more than capable of supporting the vehicle as well. The primary ask here again though is going from the asinine OEM staggered setup to a more desirable square set up (one where you can actually rotate your tires easily as well). Of course the handling will change slightly with more sidewall and narrower tires, but I’ve made that change previously on my MachE and other vehicles for winter set ups previously.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
575 Posts
Not at all -
MachE AWD Curb Weight - 4,600
Volvo C40 Curb Weight - 4,700

Tire size - 225/60r18 VS 235/45r20 and 255/40r20 - and I’ll be honest slightly narrower for winter/snow tires is desirable and we’re less than 2% off for diameter overall

Disc Brake Diameter - MachE 362mm vs C40 345mm fronts - the MachE 18” would more than clear the C40 Brakes

No - as I know what I’d be installing is more than capable of supporting the vehicle as well. The primary ask here again though is going from the asinine OEM staggered setup to a more desirable square set up (one where you can actually rotate your tires easily as well). Of course the handling will change slightly with more sidewall and narrower tires, but I’ve made that change previously on my MachE and other vehicles for winter set ups previously.
Will the handling be better or worse?

·
Registered
C40 - FjordBlue
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will the handling be better or worse?
It will be softer - I will not say worse.

These are the tires - Michelin Pilot Alpin 5; they are OEM winter/snow tires available for the BMW X3/X5 another performance oriented SUV.

The Pilot Alpin 5 SUV ZP is Michelin's Light Truck/SUV Performance Winter / Snow run-flat tire developed to meet the needs of enthusiast drivers of performance-tuned pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs who don't want wintry conditions to prevent them from enjoying their vehicles year-round.

But again the mechanical question - no one has yet changed the wheels/tires on their C40 to a square set up? At this point I’m guessing not.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
575 Posts
It will be softer - I will not say worse.

These are the tires - Michelin Pilot Alpin 5; they are OEM winter/snow tires available for the BMW X3/X5 another performance oriented SUV.

But again the mechanical question - no one has yet changed the wheels/tires on their C40 to a square set up? At this point I’m guessing not.
The model units just came out literally (mine may have been the first batch). I have no inclination nor an excuse (live in the Deep South where I don’t need snow tires) to replace wheels and tires. I am sure the rest here may be in a similar position, unless, except you are in Canada 🇨🇦 or the USA east coast!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am sure the rest here may be in a similar position, unless, except you are in Canada 🇨🇦 or the USA east coast!
Winter tires are good anywhere it gets below about 40 or 45 degrees F for prolonged periods. Calling them snow tires really doesn't tell the story — they're a different rubber compound that's meant to stay pliable and grippy at low temperatures, when other tires have fallen through their glass transition temperature.

Also, you may have some misconceptions about where all it snows in North America!

·
Registered
C40 - FjordBlue
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The model units just came out literally (mine may have been the first batch). I have no inclination nor an excuse (live in the Deep South where I don’t need snow tires) to replace wheels and tires. I am sure the rest here may be in a similar position, unless, except you are in Canada 🇨🇦 or the USA east coast!
Forehead Nose Flash photography Jaw Fun

/literally me right now

Guess I’ll just do this myself and see what happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
View attachment 4696
/literally me right now

Guess I’ll just do this myself and see what happens.
No I'm very interested. I'm in central NH and drive a hilly Interstate all winter to the Vermont border. (I-89 -- the Devil's Interstate in the winter -- for those who live up this way.)

I prefer snows on for the winter, but last year could not because I couldn't get any for the XC90 (all out of stock.) So, I'm very curious about this, especially as Tire Rack won't be showing anything winter for at least another month.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, first post here - I will be picking up my new C40 this friday, and living in the north of Sweden I expect to switch to studded winter tires in about 6 weeks - possibly a little longer, given the Michelin "Recharge" tires it comes with that's supposedly softer and grippier even at lower temps. I won't be going with a square setup though, I will put 19" studded Continentals on another set of staggered OEM rims, but I can't see that going square will cause you any issues really.

·
Registered
C40 - FjordBlue
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will put 19" studded Continentals on another set of staggered OEM rims, but I can't see that going square will cause you any issues really.
Thanks for your input I’m just going to do it come October here when it cools off more.

My primary concern far more so than the change in width was the rolling diameter from the OEM staggered set up. Per calculators with tire and rim size the OEM front wheel and tire set are a little over 1% larger in diameter than the rears. As the front and rear are not mechanically linked I assume it’ll be fine and the system will adapt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ah, so it won't be uniform, huh...hmm, I would assume 1% shouldn't matter too, with no mechanical linkage, but I would probably consult my tire guy on the issue. Problem is nobody knows anything about EVs yet..

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,034 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide what to do for my XC40. We know that some owners did switch to square 235 winters last year, presumably without incident. Some Volvo dealerships were even selling sets like that. There was a PDF floating around from Volvo of Canada showing a square 235 set for the Recharge. At least one owner even managed to fit a set of 18" aftermarket wheels (also square), so presumably that is another option.

The biggest factor for me is tire availability. There is barely anything available right now for the OEM staggered 235/255 19" sizes. There are more options for square 235/50/R19, and a LOT more for square 235/55/R18. (I haven't looked at 20" sets because that feels too big for winters to me.)

Right now I'm checking tire availability almost every day to see if new options start coming in for 2022, but so far I haven't seen promising. I'll probably go with a square set as I rarely if ever have the XC40 fully loaded with cargo and passengers, and I never tow anything. So I figure I've got enough leeway in the OEM specs to run 235 rears without issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The other problem is finding aftermarket wheels. I haven't been able to find any at all with the correct dimensions and offset. I was hoping to have a second set of wheels for my winter tires.
I noticed that the Vredestein Wintrac Pro 19" tires are available in both the correct sizes for a staggered setup, but I can't find any wheels that exactly meet the recommendations, other than from Volvo.

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,034 Posts
The other problem is finding aftermarket wheels. I haven't been able to find any at all with the correct dimensions and offset. I was hoping to have a second set of wheels for my winter tires.
I noticed that the Vredestein Wintrac Pro 19" tires are available in both the correct sizes for a staggered setup, but I can't find any wheels that exactly meet the recommendations, other than from Volvo.
The OEM Polestar 19" wheels are an attractive option. They're pricey but not ridiculous. I think they can be found for under $400 each.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
267 Posts
(I haven't looked at 20" sets because that feels too big for winters to me.)
I have been looking at getting a set of winter tires to use on the factory staggered 20" wheels, and if you want them all to match there are only a couple of options. Right now I'm looking at getting a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow tires (technically the front size is considered "X-Ice Snow SUV" but the difference is in name only). Tire Rack and Discount Tire (technically the same company) both have them in stock. The one other option I can sometimes find in stock is the Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV from Nokian Tire.

·
Registered
C40 - FjordBlue
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once I return from this work trip in early October - I’ll be doing a test fit of my 18” MachE OEM wheels (with Michelin Pilot Alpin snows; 225/60r18 - XL) on my C40. If they bolt up as expected with clear tolerances - I’ll run them this winter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I asked my dealer (in the US) about a winter tire/wheel package. They quoted me around $1875 for Hakka R5 EV for the tires + mount and install. That would be on the car's wheels, which I hate – I prefer having a separate set of winter wheels. I haven't asked what wheels would cost on top of that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts