Volvo XC40 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was looking up specs for these wheels, and the load rating number I found is 1500 lbs. That's a bit less than what you would want for the XC40 rear axle, which has a max gross weight of 3200 lbs. I'm no wheel expert, though, so I don't know how much of a concern that should be.
VERY good point. That number is not the actual weight, but what it can carry I recall. This is something I did before deciding on what I purchased. You want at least half I believe, 1600 for each wheel in the rear. The front is lighter from recollection.

·
Registered
71 Posts
VERY good point. That number is not the actual weight, but what it can carry I recall. This is something I did before deciding on what I purchased. You want at least half I believe, 1600 for each wheel in the rear. The front is lighter from recollection.
Oops. Well, the RTX wheels site suggests these as did my installer so I’m just going to roll with it. Won’t be doing any towing so it should be ok. Won’t recommend it to others now that I know this though.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge Ultimate in Crystal White
7 Posts
Not officially...rear rims will not work on the front (offset problems) and regular rear tires will not work on the front rims. Front rims should be OK on rear. I have 19x8x42.5mm offset wheels from an xc90. I have staggered tires, but apparently could have run square 235 50 19 (245 50 19, 245 45 19, 255 45 19 should all work as well). You can not run 255 45 19 on a 7.5 inch rim (tire is too wide), but it will work on a 19x8. The xc90 wheels extend out just a tiny bit further than factory 20 inch wheels. The tire profile is more square with more prominent shoulders than the all seasons. View attachment 1622
View attachment 1621
View attachment 1620
Thank you for all the great info on winter tires/wheels!

We just picked up our XC40 Recharge with 20 inch factory wheels and are trying to figure out the winter set.

We live in Colorado and I have always kept a second winter set (-1 or -2) to address the winter potholes.

I found some wheels from an XC60 that are 7.5jx19x50.5, so they would work for a square set up with P235/50R19 (or some 245) tires all around.

But having read the many messages on here about the extra weight, I am not sure if the XC60 wheels would support the extra weight of the P8 in the rear.

So, I am wondering if I should go after the XC90 wheels 8jx19x42.5 which seem to be more readily available and running at about the same price for pre-owned ones.

Although I believe the offset of 50.5mm would probably sit better on the P8 than the 42.5mm.

So, I have 2 questions left:
1. do I need to get TPMS sensors? I have seen posts that say our cars have indirect TPMS (iTPMS) and don't need extra sensors.
2. does anybody have experience with XC60 wheels mounted on an XC40 recharge? is their load rating enough? the max base weight on a PHEV XC60 is ~4600lbs so less than our ~4800lb curb weight

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge Ultimate in Crystal White
7 Posts
Thank you for all the great info on winter tires/wheels!

We just picked up our XC40 Recharge with 20 inch factory wheels and are trying to figure out the winter set.

We live in Colorado and I have always kept a second winter set (-1 or -2) to address the winter potholes.

I found some wheels from an XC60 that are 7.5jx19x50.5, so they would work for a square set up with P235/50R19 (or some 245) tires all around.

But having read the many messages on here about the extra weight, I am not sure if the XC60 wheels would support the extra weight of the P8 in the rear.

So, I am wondering if I should go after the XC90 wheels 8jx19x42.5 which seem to be more readily available and running at about the same price for pre-owned ones.

Although I believe the offset of 50.5mm would probably sit better on the P8 than the 42.5mm.

So, I have 2 questions left:
1. do I need to get TPMS sensors? I have seen posts that say our cars have indirect TPMS (iTPMS) and don't need extra sensors.
2. does anybody have experience with XC60 wheels mounted on an XC40 recharge? is their load rating enough? the max base weight on a PHEV XC60 is ~4600lbs so less than our ~4800lb curb weight
Thank you AWildIanAppeared and VTBUCKEYE for your insights.

I talked to my expert at the local Discount Tire and decided to go with an 18x8 inch setup for winters on all fours. Finding matching wheels staggard is basically impossible unless you spent $3000 at the dealership vs. $672 for the aftermarket ones. Specifically, the wheels are Drag DR-67 18"x8" with 40mm offset. I decided to go with these because they can handle the load (1725 lbs per wheel) and are pretty light at 23.5 lbs, plus I like the looks with our Crystal White P8. These were also cheaper than used 19x8 wheels from an XC90.

I went with 18s instead of 19s because they were a lot easier to find, would give the additional 1 inch of side wall which is great for winter conditions, and both wheels and tires are significantly cheaper in 18s over 19s.

I have 235/55R18 Michelin X-ICE on all 4, literally all I could find in stock this late in the season. Nobody had any 255 snow tires in stock that would match any 235s in the front. The narrower tires in the back actually look good given the lower offset than OE wheels and should drive better on snow given the narrower footprint per my prior experience over the years.

P8 now rides very smoothly and the turn-in is relatively crisp with the X-ICE tires. Obviously, this set up is not as sporty as the factory staggered 20-inch setup with all-season tires, but rides a lot smoother over rough winter roads.

I plan to run with the same tire pressure as on the sticker (41/42 front/rear) unless somebody has a different suggestion.

Here are some pictures.

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Cloud
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Sky Car

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
195 Posts
So just changed over my winter tires (by myself) that I got from Volvo when I bought the car last Oct (Volvo installed them). I noticed that while my summer tires/rims are different sizes front and back - front 235/45 R20 and rear 255/40 R20 the winter ones are Michelin X-ICE but are the same size front and back (235/50 R19).

Has anyone else seen the same? I thought they had to be different front and back even for winter rims/tires.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
456 Posts
So just changed over my winter tires (by myself) that I got from Volvo when I bought the car last Oct (Volvo installed them). I noticed that while my summer tires/rims are different sizes front and back - front 235/45 R20 and rear 255/40 R20 the winter ones are Michelin X-ICE but are the same size front and back (235/50 R19).

Has anyone else seen the same? I thought they had to be different front and back even for winter rims/tires.
The rear winter rims are wider by 1 inch I believe but the tires are all the same. Make sure you check direction of rotation for summers.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
195 Posts
The rear winter rims are wider by 1 inch I believe but the wheels are all the same. Make sure you check direction of rotation for summers.
You know I should have put them up against each other to confirm but I didn't and now they're stored away.

For the summers, fortunately the dealership when they put the winter tires on labelled them which side and front/rear and I did the same where I stored away the winter tires/rims to make sure I know what came from where.

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,030 Posts

I've heard of dealers putting on square winter sets, but I don't know if that's more because of Volvo's recommendation or just tire availability. I'll get a winter set this year, but I haven't decided whether to go square or try to find an OEM staggered set.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
195 Posts
I've heard of dealers putting on square winter sets, but I don't know if that's more because of Volvo's recommendation or just tire availability. I'll get a winter set this year, but I haven't decided whether to go square or try to find an OEM staggered set.
I find it funny that the summer tires/rims I have are staggered but the winter tires/rims I got from the dealership aren't. It seems a bit funny to have staggered summers but not winter ones.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
456 Posts
I find it funny that the summer tires/rims I have are staggered but the winter tires/rims I got from the dealership aren't. It seems a bit funny to have staggered summers but not winter ones.
The two winter rear rims are wider , so wouldn't that still be considered staggered and it must be due weight on rears.

·
Registered
2021 XC 40 Recharge Sage Green
155 Posts
My winter tires — Haqqas — are different sizes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have staggered Hakka r3suv in 19inch size. They were great last winter mounted on square 19x8x42.5mm offset wheels. 8 inches is wide enough for the 235 and narrow enough for the 255 tires. Offset puts the tires just a tiny bit wider than stock (Clears the fenders and has extra space around the suspension). If I did it again I would consider a square setup in size 235-50-19, 255-45-19, 245-45-19 or 245-50-19 as long as they have a load index at least 100. The 245 options are a half inch larger or smaller than the 235 and 255 options (ice xc40 runs 245-45-20s and polestar 2 uses 245-45-19) so as long as the tire diameter clusters around 28 inches it should be ok. My xc90 winter tires at 235-55-19 (29.2 inch diameter) fit ok on the back, but at full lock came very close to the fender liners on the front (I could not slip a finger between the tire and fender liner).

121 - 140 of 153 Posts