Volvo XC40 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Simply sharing here. Hello. I am a new 2022 xc40 Recharge owner here. Our Volvo dealer in Unionville, Ontario (so far a decent experience) helped us with a set of new volvo 19 inch rims and 4 matching "Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV" winter tires (the summer rims and tires were swapped out before we picked it up). The four tires are all 235/50/19. I will check in the spring but the dealer STRONGLY recommends we ask them to swap (a cost of ?) tires each season, to not mix up their position. Something to do with TPMS sync and every wheel being different? i am not clear on this one unless simply tracking rotational direction and the rims are actually different. I understand the TPMS may need to be pointed to the new rims. Long time Volvo owner here (@2004 v70r as well and many before). New to tpms systems.

1. Do I need Volvo to resync the TPMS, or will it self align in time? Any processs to do this myself, as it is much more convenient and faster for me to do it myself than make an appointment, drive there, etc. An earlier thread mentioned resetting, but not sure of the steps. I self store my wheels/tires at home and have never had anyone change them in my life unless needing a tire repair at the same time....and Yes, I set the torque correctly (what is it for this car btw as I have not found this info yet). I have staggered winter tires in 19 inch diameter to match the summer setup. Hakka r3suv, so no tire rotation is possible without dismounting the tires (not going to happen).
2. Any other reason you can think of for needing to go to a dealer to swap them? It is less a question of cost and much more about time.... as said earlier 20 min vs at least 3 hrs round trip (excluding washing removed wheels before storing them which does add another 20 min of my labour regardless).
Thanks in advance.
R
At least in the US we have indirect tpms. Car measures tire rotation. If one wheel is spinning faster than the others (smaller effective diameter) it assumes that this is due to reduced air pressure. Our cars do not report actual tire pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long does it take swap out 4 wheels?

What equipment do you need?

How do store the unused wheel?

Planning/dreaming ahead to leaving condo living and having a house.
Hi. For storage, I clean them well with mild cheap car soap, let them fully dry for a full day or two, then seal them in huge garbage bags air tight, with the understanding this helps lower the gasing process
I then stack them, no more than 4 high with thick cardboard between each tire bag. I am thinking however of switching to verticle storage where they rest on their tread (in bags still). The dealer wanted too much seasonal money..and I can make the space. They do not likely take the same care I do either. Old habits for me, so perhaps only of marginal benefit these days. but it is nice to put clean rims on the next season 😉
R

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,030 Posts
I would love for someone to get down in writing from a dealer (or anyone from Volvo) what specifically needs to be done and why when swapping wheels. I could see maybe some sort of issue when swapping from staggered to square sets, but it seems unlikely that anything would need to be done when switching from OEM staggered 19" to OEM staggered 20" sizes.

As far as storage, I've been switching between winter and summer sets for years, and I've never washed them before stacking them in the garage for the season. I've used non-airtight bags for convenience (less messy moving them around), but I've never had any problems one way or another. Stacking flat vs. standing up doesn't seem to make much difference. I doubt you would get flat spots from vertical stacking when there's no weight load on them. I never have, anyway.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
549 Posts
You can't swap the winter tires. Yes tires itself are the same but the rims are different, being 2 inch wider on the back. That being said you cannot rotate them. Talking about factory set.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
267 Posts
I would love for someone to get down in writing from a dealer (or anyone from Volvo) what specifically needs to be done and why when swapping wheels. I could see maybe some sort of issue when swapping from staggered to square sets, but it seems unlikely that anything would need to be done when switching from OEM staggered 19" to OEM staggered 20" sizes.

As far as storage, I've been switching between winter and summer sets for years, and I've never washed them before stacking them in the garage for the season. I've used non-airtight bags for convenience (less messy moving them around), but I've never had any problems one way or another. Stacking flat vs. standing up doesn't seem to make much difference. I doubt you would get flat spots from vertical stacking when there's no weight load on them. I never have, anyway.
The Volvo accessories site has some info on the page for 20" wheels: https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC40/Accessories/Document/VCC-518467/2021/P8 (Pure electric)

Besides part numbers for the front and rear wheels and the hubcap, it also lists a part number for "Application, speedometer, steering gear and tire dimensions" and notes "When changing to new wheel dimensions, new software must be downloaded. Updates speedometer, steering gear and tire dimensions. Ordered according to separate procedure and downloaded using VIDA." So it sounds like it recalibrates the speedometer and something related to steering. However, it seems like if the new tires and wheels together had the same outside dimensions as the previous ones, even if the new rims were a different diameter, then recalibration wouldn't be required.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man that's snug. I'll bet the ride is super smooth, though. And probably getting improved range, too.
Yup nice smooth ride. Getting pretty good range for it bring winter. Wheels were also pretty light so that helps too. Edited post but 4 mm of clearance, tight, but still good. Probably would have gone 19s had the local reputable tire shop not done it.

·
Registered
MY22 XC40 Recharge Twin Plus
51 Posts
If you can get it over the rotors and shoes it should be fine for normal city use. I would only worry if you constantly go off road and expect to get the wheels deep in mud/loose rocks.

I have been rocking 17" steel rims with my winter tyres on my XC70. They barely fit over the rotors/shoes and I haven't had any problems running them in deep snow and some light logging roads. My XC70 normally runs with 18" alloys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So … if you have 3mm and a rock gets stuck what happens? Maybe I don’t want to know but …
likely some gnarly noises .

There are some manufacturers that have very tight wheel fitments from the factory as shown. Volvos smallest offering is 19" on these cars. Another reason I personally felt that I shouldn't go smaller.

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,030 Posts
Just adding my setup. 18” wheels, 235/55r18. I believe all wheels are 8” deep RTX CONCORDE • SATIN BLACK • 18X8 5X108 ET38

edit - calliper to barrel clearance is 4 mm.
I was looking up specs for these wheels, and the load rating number I found is 1500 lbs. That's a bit less than what you would want for the XC40 rear axle, which has a max gross weight of 3200 lbs. I'm no wheel expert, though, so I don't know how much of a concern that should be.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts