Volvo XC40 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Easy tire had the staggered set if Hakka r3suv tires. So far we have no complaints. Mounted on 19 inch Volvo wheels from a xc90. Also in the US the continental viking contact 7 is not available in our front 235 50 19 tire size. The other tire that I saw earlier this fall in the staggered set was the vredestein wintrac pro (listed by tirerack in the same category, performance winter, as the pilot alpin 5).
For anyone wondering about the Vredestein Wintrac Pro tires, we've had them on for over a month and they work pretty well. Don't have any data on efficiency but we've had snow for weeks and they work just like any other stud-less winter tire. Bought on Tirerack, shipped to Alaska and installed on factory 19" rims.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I guess it depends on what we're comfortable with. The price is a little hard to swallow. But, I consider having an extra set of wheels that can be swapped by myself is paradise compared to the frustration of dealing with crowded service stations with 2 week lead times. I can easily perform a swap at a moments notice when the weather decides to change. I've been doing that for over a decade with all of my vehicles.
How long does it take swap out 4 wheels?

What equipment do you need?

How do store the unused wheel?

Planning/dreaming ahead to leaving condo living and having a house.

·
Registered
167 Posts
How long does it take swap out 4 wheels?

What equipment do you need?

How do store the unused wheel?

Planning/dreaming ahead to leaving condo living and having a house.
To swap can take as little as 20 minutes and sometimes longer if you work slower and clean the wheels before putting them away. I store them in a rack in the garage along with sets for the Tacoma and xc90. I usually use a hydraulic jack though with the 40 I used the jack that it came with and a battery powered drill to raise and lower it. The thing that often takes the longest and is the most frustrating is when there is rust on the hub and back of the wheel and they try to bond be and not come apart. If you can change a flat, you can swap wheels for winter (like having four flats all at once in the comfort of your own garage).

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
341 Posts
To swap can take as little as 20 minutes and sometimes longer if you work slower and clean the wheels before putting them away. I store them in a rack in the garage along with sets for the Tacoma and xc90. I usually use a hydraulic jack though with the 40 I used the jack that it came with and a battery powered drill to raise and lower it. The thing that often takes the longest and is the most frustrating is when there is rust on the hub and back of the wheel and they try to bond be and not come apart. If you can change a flat, you can swap wheels for winter (like having four flats all at once in the comfort of your own garage).
You can add a few small tots of Anti Seize lubricant to the inside of the wheel. It works wonders, no more stuck wheels. Just make sure you don’t add any tip the break system.
I also use the 2 Ts to know when to switch to and from the winter set. Put them on during thanksgiving, take them off during tax day.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
341 Posts
You can add a few small tots of Anti Seize lubricant to the inside of the wheel. It works wonders, no more stuck wheels. Just make sure you don’t add any tip the break system.
I also use the 2 Ts to know when to switch to and from the winter set. Put them on during thanksgiving, take them off during tax day.
Yep, I've been putting anti-seize grease inside the hubs for years now. You don't want to get any on the lugs, though. You could end up over-torqueing them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet of dates and odometer readings for the switch. I usually change them in early to mid November and early to mid April. The Tacoma was the worst this fall. Usually one or two kicks from the backside frees it. Took a bit more this time. I'd hate to have a flat on the side of the road and a seized wheel making the change difficult.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
I'll add that changing the wheels on a Volvo is a joy compared to our Honda Pilot and Mazda CX5. The Volvo uses removable bolts instead of lug nuts. Because of this, it is much easier to mount the wheel and not have to worry about also aligning the 5 posts at the same time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For anyone wondering about the Vredestein Wintrac Pro tires, we've had them on for over a month and they work pretty well. Don't have any data on efficiency but we've had snow for weeks and they work just like any other stud-less winter tire. Bought on Tirerack, shipped to Alaska and installed on factory 19" rims.
Just back from trip with the Vredestain Wintrac Pro, 235/50 R19 on all four wheels. AWD and one-pedal driving. Performed great on snow/ice/slush.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer is not helpful. I stopped calling them. I used references from this forum and the tire dealer to make the 235 square selection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've read this thread once every few weeks since it started and it's now too late to make snow tires worth it for the season. Interested to see how everyone's square configurations work since I was pretty underwhelmed by the staggered options, enough to make me procrastinate past the point of it mattering!

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
341 Posts
I've read this thread once every few weeks since it started and it's now too late to make snow tires worth it for the season. Interested to see how everyone's square configurations work since I was pretty underwhelmed by the staggered options, enough to make me procrastinate past the point of it mattering!
I've been checking tire availability for the past couple of months and there hasn't been anything available for staggered winter sets. I think they sold out around November.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Does square mean ignoring the usual difference between front and back and having all 4 tires the same?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simply sharing here. Hello. I am a new 2022 xc40 Recharge owner here. Our Volvo dealer in Unionville, Ontario (so far a decent experience) helped us with a set of new volvo 19 inch rims and 4 matching "Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV" winter tires (the summer rims and tires were swapped out before we picked it up). The four tires are all 235/50/19. I will check in the spring but the dealer STRONGLY recommends we ask them to swap (a cost of ?) tires each season, to not mix up their position. Something to do with TPMS sync and every wheel being different? i am not clear on this one unless simply tracking rotational direction and the rims are actually different. I understand the TPMS may need to be pointed to the new rims. Long time Volvo owner here (@2004 v70r as well and many before). New to tpms systems.

1. Do I need Volvo to resync the TPMS, or will it self align in time? Any processs to do this myself, as it is much more convenient and faster for me to do it myself than make an appointment, drive there, etc. An earlier thread mentioned resetting, but not sure of the steps. I self store my wheels/tires at home and have never had anyone change them in my life unless needing a tire repair at the same time....and Yes, I set the torque correctly (what is it for this car btw as I have not found this info yet)
2. Any other reason you can think of for needing to go to a dealer to swap them? It is less a question of cost and much more about time.... as said earlier 20 min vs at least 3 hrs round trip (excluding washing removed wheels before storing them which does add another 20 min of my labour regardless).
Thanks in advance.
R

81 - 100 of 106 Posts