Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
341 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you know if your service center applied the appropriate application after installing the 19" winter wheels?
If you had 20's and then put on 19's, Volvo recommends a different part #:
  • 19" - 32270068 Application, speedometer, steering gear and tire dimensions
  • 20" - 32270069 Application, speedometer, steering gear and tire dimensions
Volvo's disclaimer: When changing to new wheel dimensions, new software must be downloaded. Updates speedometer, steering gear and tyre dimensions. Ordered according to separate procedure and downloaded using VIDA.
So, is there an application number for switching to the square 235 winter set?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
I don't see it listed on Volvo's website now, but when I made this post 3 months ago, I thought that the application number was the same for the Canadian snow package 19' snows.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just had these wheels installed today and noticed you mentioned that they can be rotated but written on the tire is wheel direction and arrow showing the tires on the left side of car have to rotate fwd, meaning they cannot be installed on right side of car.
I don't believe I had my speedometer recalibrated, since shortly after I left dealer I got a warning of low tire pressure showing on all 4 wheels, then it switched to asking me to reset tire pressure monitoring system if I had just changed wheels/tires which I did and everything was back to normal after 10 mins of driving.
So has anyone who has switched to winter set of wheels had their speedos recalibrated??

ps. I had asked about a month ago if they had any special deals coming on winter wheel sets and was given a discount price of $3000 + tax install included. orig price $3495+tax.Canada $
I had Michelin Ice snow tires put on (19" same as my summer tires / wheels as I bought them from Volvo.) No software change.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
341 Posts
So, different tire sizes from stock, but no software change required. That's making me think the software change for 19" vs. 20" may not be that necessary, considering the overall tire dimensions are the same for the OEM sets.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
That's making me think the software change for 19" vs. 20" may not be that necessary
Right, it's a slight difference, but TPMS was sensitive enough to notice.
I presume that since @340driver didn't mention a major ride quality difference, then it is likely acceptable.
Although, it is interesting that @I_Kent_Spelgud implied that the dealer applied the application here.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
341 Posts
Right, it's a slight difference, but TPMS was sensitive enough to notice.
I presume that since @340driver didn't mention a major ride quality difference, then it is likely acceptable.
Although, it is interesting that @I_Kent_Spelgud implied that the dealer applied the application here.
I know I've said this before, but I'd love to hear from a Volvo tech what that application is all about.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
246 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you know if your service center applied the appropriate application after installing the 19" winter wheels?
If you had 20's and then put on 19's, Volvo recommends a different part #:
  • 19" - 32270068 Application, speedometer, steering gear and tire dimensions
  • 20" - 32270069 Application, speedometer, steering gear and tire dimensions
Volvo's disclaimer: When changing to new wheel dimensions, new software must be downloaded. Updates speedometer, steering gear and tyre dimensions. Ordered according to separate procedure and downloaded using VIDA.
I just phoned my dealer back and questioned whether they did make any computer changes due to going from 20" to 19" and he said no, that the difference would be negligible and this winter tire set is the only set Volvo recommends for this car.
I also noticed a very improved ride with these tires, I now don't notice every little crack in the road and surprisingly they are just as quiet as my summers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just had these wheels installed today and noticed you mentioned that they can be rotated but written on the tire is wheel direction and arrow showing the tires on the left side of car have to rotate fwd, meaning they cannot be installed on right side of car.
You're right - if these Michelin Ice-Snow lumps (mounted on axle-specific rims) have direction-specific arrows too, then rotation won't work - bummer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
doesn't make sense...the summer rear tires are 8mm taller over all than the front...two different size tires...but also different size rims. 8.5 back 7.5 front

so the looking for winters, trying to figure out wtf they made them taller on back on aAWD; so can't get volvo to give me answers, they say contact the dealer, well the dealer only wants to sell the over priced volvo rims and tires...he doens't know any technical questions.

so then asking what size should I buy...he says they put 235/50/19 on all four corners, BUT he told me they have to go on 8.5 back rims while front 7.5" wide ...WHICH then makes the front tires taller

doens't make sense.. anyone else buy after market rims and tires for winter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody with the 20" wheels successfully installed winter tires only purchased elsewhere and kept the staggered size? I was hoping to get a full 19" winter set like some others here have done but my local dealer just told me that Volvo isn't currently offering any winter 19" wheel/tire packages right now. so I figured I'll just get 20" tires and use my existing wheels instead this season. Maybe get some 20" wheels next year to go with them.

I found stock online at 1010tires.com for the Michelin X-ice snow (staggered) for the same size and speed and load rating as my current all season tires that came with the car. Here's what I found:

Michelin X-Ice Snow Tires 255/40R20 XL 101H
Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV Tires 235/45R20 XL 100H

When going through the ordering process they warned me that the 235/45s are labeled "SUV" and the 255/40s are not, so I should be careful mixing and matching models. I can't seem to find many differences online about SUV vs non-SUV from Michelin about these, and there are no "non-SUV" 235/45s nor are there any "SUV" 255/40s from what I can tell. The only thing I can find is this pdf which says that the SUV tires have additional reinforced casing to adapt for heavy vehicles.

Any thoughts about going with these or is there actually an issue? I suspect I am over complicating things.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Has anybody with the 20" wheels successfully installed winter tires only purchased elsewhere and kept the staggered size? I was hoping to get a full 19" winter set like some others here have done but my local dealer just told me that Volvo isn't currently offering any winter 19" wheel/tire packages right now. so I figured I'll just get 20" tires and use my existing wheels instead this season. Maybe get some 20" wheels next year to go with them.

I found stock online at 1010tires.com for the Michelin X-ice snow (staggered) for the same size and speed and load rating as my current all season tires that came with the car. Here's what I found:

When going through the ordering process they warned me that the 235/45s are labeled "SUV" and the 255/40s are not, so I should be careful mixing and matching models. I can't seem to find many differences online about SUV vs non-SUV from Michelin about these, and there are no "non-SUV" 235/45s nor are there any "SUV" 255/40s from what I can tell. The only thing I can find is this pdf which says that the SUV tires have additional reinforced casing to adapt for heavy vehicles.

Any thoughts about going with these or is there actually an issue? I suspect I am over complicating things.
I don't think you are - remember the Recharge is much heavier than the ICE XC40 so you will need a tire that will be able to carry it.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
341 Posts

That combo might be okay, but I'd try to contact Michelin directly and see if they can confirm. It looks like they are the same compound and tread, and the load ratings match OEM spec. I'd probably do it if I wanted 20" winters and couldn't find anything else.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
For 19" snow tires, I first tried to follow the OEM staggered sizing. Some hints can be found in this Volvo document.

For comparison, I looked up the new EU labels of potential tires that I was interested in. (disclaimer: the EU ratings might not be applicable for the US market because of slightly different tire compounds)

Front:
Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

Rear:
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

My dealer had ordered the Nokians for me months ago, but eventually failed to get a full set. In fact, I couldn't find a full staggered set of any named brand snow tire locally. Instead, I found a great deal on the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5's with one size for both front & rear. I'm happy with them because they are super quiet and grippy. The only main compromise is that they aren't rated for extreme ice conditions like the others are. I'll have to take that into account when I'm driving on icy roads.
Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
341 Posts
I've seen the Hakka R3 SUV tires getting pretty good reviews and test results, but they're out of stock everywhere right now. I'll probably buy a set as soon as they are in stock again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For 19" snow tires, I first tried to follow the OEM staggered sizing. Some hints can be found in this Volvo document.

For comparison, I looked up the new EU labels of potential tires that I was interested in. (disclaimer: the EU ratings might not be applicable for the US market because of slightly different tire compounds)

Front:
View attachment 2004

Rear:
View attachment 2005

My dealer had ordered the Nokians for me months ago, but eventually failed to get a full set. In fact, I couldn't find a full staggered set of any named brand snow tire locally. Instead, I found a great deal on the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5's with one size for both front & rear. I'm happy with them because they are super quiet and grippy. The only main compromise is that they aren't rated for extreme ice conditions like the others are. I'll have to take that into account when I'm driving on icy roads.
View attachment 2006
Easy tire had the staggered set if Hakka r3suv tires. So far we have no complaints. Mounted on 19 inch Volvo wheels from a xc90. Also in the US the continental viking contact 7 is not available in our front 235 50 19 tire size. The other tire that I saw earlier this fall in the staggered set was the vredestein wintrac pro (listed by tirerack in the same category, performance winter, as the pilot alpin 5).

61 - 80 of 106 Posts