Volvo XC40 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

· Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,176 Posts
The spacing above between the wheel and caliper is what made me decide against the 18's when I tried a rim
I was able to slide a strip of 1/8" carboard in the gap, so I estimate that there is >3mm clearance. And there's plenty of clearance to the spokes themselves, so I'm not worried. I'll try to get a pic of that later.

UPDATE: The cardboard strip is 1/8", or just over 3mm. Here you can see me sliding it between the caliper housing and inner rim. If I let go of the strip, it drops out completely. Since 3mm seems to be the standard recommended minimum clearance between caliper and rim, I think we're pretty good here.

· Registered
142 Posts
Got a 2023 XC40 Recharge on order arriving this winter and just went through the wheel/tire shopping process (with helpful information from this forum!). So, disclaimer, none of the information below has been empirically confirmed as we don't have the car yet :)

As the winter kit from Volvo Canada seems to consist of staggered rims with square (235 mm) tires for most people, I don't see any advantage in going with that over an after-market fully-square setup. A square rim setup is much simpler and more cost effective, opens the door to far more tire choices, and allows tire rotation.

For wheels, our local garage recommended Fast Wheels "Switch" (model number F212-1880-31BT+45C634) which are 18J x 8 +45 mm (with a directly compatible 5x108 bolt pattern and 63.4 mm center bore). They're rated for 1797 lbs each, which exceeds the 1600 lbs minimum necessary to support the 3200 lb rear axle load capacity. 18" should just fit over the brakes while giving more rubber between us and the winter potholes.

The offsets work out such that the outer sidewall of the front tires will be pushed out about 5.5 mm, and the rear ones out 1 mm.

For tires, we've picked out the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV tires in size 235/55R18. These have a high load rating (1984 lbs), high mileage, and low rolling resistance, so hopefully will maximize efficiency.
Note that there is also an R5 "EV" variant that is quieter, but they don't come in this size (and are even more difficult to find -- it was hard enough finding one shop that had four R5 SUVs in stock after calling around multiple places and being told they were on back-order).

Overall, the outer diameter should deviate less than 1% from the staggered Volvo 19" summer set, though not uniformly (front will be very slightly smaller, rear will be very slightly larger). I would be surprised if this is enough to trip the indirect TPMS threshold (and apparently it can be recalibrated through the menu), but we'll see. The width of the rear tires will be somewhat less wide (20 mm) than the summer set, though no different from the stock winter set.

The cost is just about $1000 less than what Volvo is asking, before taxes, for what I feel is a better set up.

---

For reference, since it's hard to find all in one place elsewhere, here's what I've gathered are the stock Volvo 19" wheel specs for comparison:

Front: 7.5J x 19 + 50.5 mm, 235/50R19 (all-season), 235/50R19 (winter)
Rear: 8.5J x 19 + 56.0 mm, 255/45R19 (all-season), 255/45R19 or 235/50R19 (winter)
Bolt pattern: 5x108 mm
Center bore: 63.4 mm
Hub-centric design with lug bolts
Axle maximum load: 3200 lbs (rear), 2885 lbs (front)

I wish this was all in the manual (to be fair, a lot of this information does come from Volvo's official website, though only in various different countries and not for Canada).
My tire dealer and Volvo rep said that the stagger rims is required, as small or pointless as it may be. But I’m also running 18s.

· Registered
142 Posts
Volvo does not want to see 18" on this car. Regardless of specs that might, individually, seem to be alright, ultimately the 18" package is deemed unacceptable. Minimum 19" for safety (yours and others) and peace of mind.
My Volvo dealer has 0 problems with the 18s I run and were more concerned with the offset. If the weight rating is the same, as are other measurements, what’s the issue?

· Registered
Luna, '23 XC40 Recharge
14 Posts
My Volvo dealer has 0 problems with the 18s I run and were more concerned with the offset. If the weight rating is the same, as are other measurements, what’s the issue?
Exactly. I'm not sure what the issue is either given that the non EV runs square. I've asked a knowledgeable people that can't understand it either. They however aren't experts with EV knowledge though.

I heard some reasoning from the dealership that it has to do with the primary power comes from the rear and that AWD only kicks in as needed. I do not recall ever reading this anywhere else and anyone more knowledgeable who could chime in would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also less convinced this is currently the case up to model year 2023 given the recent post on the forums with the 2024 sporting bigger rear and small front motors with a front disconnect.

I personally couldn't wait as we needed the winters on for insurance purposes so had to shell out for the ridiculous dealership set...

· Registered
318 Posts
Exactly. I'm not sure what the issue is either given that the non EV runs square. I've asked a knowledgeable people that can't understand it either. They however aren't experts with EV knowledge though.

I heard some reasoning from the dealership that it has to do with the primary power comes from the rear and that AWD only kicks in as needed. I do not recall ever reading this anywhere else and anyone more knowledgeable who could chime in would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also less convinced this is currently the case up to model year 2023 given the recent post on the forums with the 2024 sporting bigger rear and small front motors with a front disconnect.

I personally couldn't wait as we needed the winters on for insurance purposes so had to shell out for the ridiculous dealership set...
Current cars with AWD are full time AWD with equal motors front and rear. Both are permanent magnet motors, not induction motors, so they can not be deactivated/decoupled for greater efficiency. My winter setup are xc90 wheels 19 x 8.5 43mm offset with staggered tires 235 50 and 255 45. We just started winter number 2. Apparently the 2024 will have an induction motor up front and a larger rear motor.

· Registered
Luna, '23 XC40 Recharge
14 Posts
Current cars with AWD are full time AWD with equal motors front and rear. Both are permanent magnet motors, not induction motors, so they can not be deactivated/decoupled for greater efficiency. My winter setup are xc90 wheels 19 x 8.5 43mm offset with staggered tires 235 50 and 255 45. We just started winter number 2. Apparently the 2024 will have an induction motor up front and a larger rear motor.
Thank you. This definitely lines up with how I understood things to work without knowing the specifics or terminology around it all.

· Registered
17 Posts
Got a 2023 XC40 Recharge on order arriving this winter and just went through the wheel/tire shopping process (with helpful information from this forum!). So, disclaimer, none of the information below has been empirically confirmed as we don't have the car yet :)

As the winter kit from Volvo Canada seems to consist of staggered rims with square (235 mm) tires for most people, I don't see any advantage in going with that over an after-market fully-square setup. A square rim setup is much simpler and more cost effective, opens the door to far more tire choices, and allows tire rotation.

For wheels, our local garage recommended Fast Wheels "Switch" (model number F212-1880-31BT+45C634) which are 18J x 8 +45 mm (with a directly compatible 5x108 bolt pattern and 63.4 mm center bore). They're rated for 1797 lbs each, which exceeds the 1600 lbs minimum necessary to support the 3200 lb rear axle load capacity. 18" should just fit over the brakes while giving more rubber between us and the winter potholes.

The offsets work out such that the outer sidewall of the front tires will be pushed out about 5.5 mm, and the rear ones out 1 mm.

For tires, we've picked out the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV tires in size 235/55R18. These have a high load rating (1984 lbs), high mileage, and low rolling resistance, so hopefully will maximize efficiency.
Note that there is also an R5 "EV" variant that is quieter, but they don't come in this size (and are even more difficult to find -- it was hard enough finding one shop that had four R5 SUVs in stock after calling around multiple places and being told they were on back-order).

Overall, the outer diameter should deviate less than 1% from the staggered Volvo 19" summer set, though not uniformly (front will be very slightly smaller, rear will be very slightly larger). I would be surprised if this is enough to trip the indirect TPMS threshold (and apparently it can be recalibrated through the menu), but we'll see. The width of the rear tires will be somewhat less wide (20 mm) than the summer set, though no different from the stock winter set.

The cost is just about $1000 less than what Volvo is asking, before taxes, for what I feel is a better set up.

---

For reference, since it's hard to find all in one place elsewhere, here's what I've gathered are the stock Volvo 19" wheel specs for comparison:

Front: 7.5J x 19 + 50.5 mm, 235/50R19 (all-season), 235/50R19 (winter)
Rear: 8.5J x 19 + 56.0 mm, 255/45R19 (all-season), 255/45R19 or 235/50R19 (winter)
Bolt pattern: 5x108 mm
Center bore: 63.4 mm
Hub-centric design with lug bolts
Axle maximum load: 3200 lbs (rear), 2885 lbs (front)

I wish this was all in the manual (to be fair, a lot of this information does come from Volvo's official website, though only in various different countries and not for Canada).
Where did you get the FAST rims? We currently have them on our Highlander (which we are swapping out for the XC40 Recharge next week)
I've been reading up on the whole winter tire/wheel debacle with the XC40 and might just go for the same FAST wheels in 19" so I can swap the winter tires from the Toyota.

· Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, one more question: do you have the full spec of the rims and tires?
Replika Rims: r189-1880-31bn Replika R189
Tires: Blizzak Dm-V2 235/55/r18

If you go back a bit in the thread, TwinPro installed Micheline X-ice with the same rims. Its going to be a good day to test them out with the mix of weather we are about to receive.

· Registered
17 Posts
Replika Rims: r189-1880-31bn Replika R189
Tires: Blizzak Dm-V2 235/55/r18

If you go back a bit in the thread, TwinPro installed Micheline X-ice with the same rims. Its going to be a good day to test them out with the mix of weather we are about to receive.
Thanks! - you must be in the same area as I am: Freezing rain just started. Keeping my new car nicely tucked away in the garage today :);)

· Registered
20 Posts
Thanks! - you must be in the same area as I am: Freezing rain just started. Keeping my new car nicely tucked away in the garage today :);)
We are in Niagara. Freezing rain just started. First big storm of the year and everyone hits the road like Bambi stepping on ice for the first time. . . . . . .

181 - 200 of 200 Posts