Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody found a good set of winter rims/wheels? I live high-elevation mountains in Colorado, and we usually do studded tires.

I'm leaning towards:

1. Buying a second set of 19" factory rims from Volvo (ouch $$$, but I can't find aftermarket rims that fit properly).
2. Buying Nokian Hakkapellitta R3 Tires (which are not studded but I can't studded that fit the staggered sizes).

Has anybody pulled the trigger on a solution they are happy with? We got 1" of snow yesterday, so it's time to get serious.

Thanks all!

- Chad

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
31 Posts
I bought the set from Volvo (rims and tire - Michelin X-ICE). They didn't have them at the time we took delivery last week but they have just arrived so will be installed when I drop off the car for the ceramic coating. It cost around $3500CAD

·
Registered
2021 XC 40 Recharge
3 Posts
Has anybody found a good set of winter rims/wheels? I live high-elevation mountains in Colorado, and we usually do studded tires.

I'm leaning towards:

1. Buying a second set of 19" factory rims from Volvo (ouch $$$, but I can't find aftermarket rims that fit properly).
2. Buying Nokian Hakkapellitta R3 Tires (which are not studded but I can't studded that fit the staggered sizes).

Has anybody pulled the trigger on a solution they are happy with? We got 1" of snow yesterday, so it's time to get serious.

Thanks all!

- Chad

Hi Chad

I had a set of 18” titanium colour aluminum RWC Rims (-1) with Hakka R3 winter tires…. 235/55R 18 mounted last week. All OK and was able to reset TPMS so the under inflated tire pressure monitor was recalibrated. Front calibre clearance was close but acceptable.

Tires have a small increase in road noise at low speed but pretty much masked at highway speeds. Stable to 130 km/hr which is as fast as I ran them out until I get a few more Kms on them. Braking good. Stability good but maybe a bit of increased susceptibility to side wind gusts. I am pleased with the look and handling. Cost about $2600 CAD.

the Hakkas are superb. Our family have used these for years. Now in Canada, they are offering free road hazard insurance again.

I live in Burlington , Ontario.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looking at tirerack, some of the same rims are recommended for the regular xc40 as my xc90, so I figure that 19x8 wheels from a xc90 should fit. I test fit my winter wheels from the 90 and though their offset is different, they certainly fit. Now for the "show your work." The regular 40 has 7.5inch wide 50.5mm offset wheels from the factory. The 90 has 8 inch wide 42.5mm offset wheels. The 40p8 has 19x7.5x50.5mm front and 19x8.5x56mm or 20x8x50.5mm and 20x9x58mm. 235-50-19 and 255-45-19 can both be mounted on 8 inch wide rims 6.5-8.5" and 8-9.5" respectively. The backspacing based on rim width of the 20" wheels is f152.1mm and r172.8mm. The 19x8x42.5 wheels have a backspacing of 144.1mm. I was told that the back wheels do not clear suspension/brake hardware if mounted on the front. This means that the inside tire edge will be between 8mm and 29mm further from the suspension/brakes. The outside edge of the rim will be f8mm and r3.3mm closer to the fender. Center bore is the same for both vehicles. As far as strength, if the 19 inch rims are ok for a xc90t8 with gawr rear of 3590lbs, then it will be ok for an xc40 recharge with a gawr rear of 3200lbs. I am having my 19 inch haka r3 SUV tires mounted on a set of xc90 wheels tomorrow. eBay has plenty of 19 inch xc90 wheels. I may take pictures to show how different the fit is. It is still warm enough for all seasons. I admit that the fit will not be perfect, but it should be close enough.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
I went OEM 19" when on sale at Riley Volvo:

Font Rectangle Circle Number Art

and local for tires:
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV 235/50R19 103R XL (T430682)
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV 255/45R19 104R XL (T431289)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought the set from Volvo (rims and tire - Michelin X-ICE). They didn't have them at the time we took delivery last week but they have just arrived so will be installed when I drop off the car for the ceramic coating. It cost around $3500CAD
I bought the same from our Volvo dealer. They are due in this week.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I went OEM 19" when on sale at Riley Volvo:

and local for tires:
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV 235/50R19 103R XL (T430682)
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV 255/45R19 104R XL (T431289)
At those prices (210 per rim or 420 per rim)? If 210, incredible deal. If 420 still better than the 713 list price or 560ish that I have seen on multiple websites.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
At those prices (210 per rim or 420 per rim)? If 210, incredible deal. If 420 still better than the 713 list price or 560ish that I have seen on multiple websites.
Sorry, their quote printout was confusing. A single wheel was $420 (15% discount and free shipping).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Chad

I had a set of 18” titanium colour aluminum RWC Rims (-1) with Hakka R3 winter tires…. 235/55R 18 mounted last week. All OK and was able to reset TPMS so the under inflated tire pressure monitor was recalibrated. Front calibre clearance was close but acceptable.

Tires have a small increase in road noise at low speed but pretty much masked at highway speeds. Stable to 130 km/hr which is as fast as I ran them out until I get a few more Kms on them. Braking good. Stability good but maybe a bit of increased susceptibility to side wind gusts. I am pleased with the look and handling. Cost about $2600 CAD.

the Hakkas are superb. Our family have used these for years. Now in Canada, they are offering free road hazard insurance again.

I live in Burlington , Ontario.

View attachment 1437
Thanks for the details here. This seems like a pretty smart way to go and they look good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's not great for the tires to be mounted and unmounted repeatedly, plus there'll be an additional cost for that assuming the tires last multiple seasons.
Thanks for the advice. I've got zero expertise in this area, but I've been doing it for many years on my 4Runner with no ill effects on the tires. Maybe, like the software, the P8 tires are more delicate. And you can buy a lot of tire unmouting/mounting for the roughly $2,000 cost of new wheels. I'm going to ask the dealer. I live in the foothills west of Denver, so we obviously get a fair amount of snow. I could also just use the 4Runner when the roads are snowy.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
209 Posts
Yeah, there really is a dearth of options for winter wheels. I wonder if this set would work:

The wheels are .5 inches wider than the P8 (and C40) OEMs. But if they work on the Polestar 2 they might be a good fit for the Recharge twins. It looks like they can be purchased for around $350/each from a variety of Volvo dealers in the US, for example:

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
And you can buy a lot of tire unmouting/mounting for the roughly $2,000 cost of new wheels.
I guess it depends on what we're comfortable with. The price is a little hard to swallow. But, I consider having an extra set of wheels that can be swapped by myself is paradise compared to the frustration of dealing with crowded service stations with 2 week lead times. I can easily perform a swap at a moments notice when the weather decides to change. I've been doing that for over a decade with all of my vehicles.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts