Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first electric vehicle. For those who have had one for some time I am curious about OPD and winter driving.
Googling this I come up with a 50/50 split for those who think it's great and those who think it's horrible.
Would like to hear from people with experience. At the end of the day I will obviously try both, in an area I can experiment, but would like to hear from others.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Why would opd be horrible in the winter?
What did your Google research say?

I have high hopes for the P8 in the snow :) I have some experiments I want to do :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well a lot of people said it threw out the rear end. I can only assume they were familiar with OPD so not sure why that happened. Again a lot of Tesla drivers were pro and con. I am sure somewhere I read that Volvo recommends OPD for winter driving. Just looking to hear from anyone that has experience.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Is there a difference though between all wheel drive opd and 2 wheel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I had to guess, this is likely more to do with how fast the car is decelerating. When a car slows down, the weight shifts to the front. With less weight on the rear wheels it can lead to oversteer if, of course, you are turning also (ever so slightly so too). Part of the reason why when driving on a track ... i.e. racing ... you want to not be braking around a corner otherwise the rear end could whip around (absent of computer correction).

In my years of driving in snow, I more or less try to "never brake" when actually slippery out. In other words, anticipate long in advance of a stop sign and start slowing down very early to avoid any real pressure on the brake pedal. With OPD, I can see it both helping and hurting. Helping to make it easy to gradually slow to a stop or hurting in slowing down too fast. Which might depend on the driver and how much they let up on the accelerator at one given time. It will be interesting this winter as it will also be a first one for me with a EV / OPD car. Of course, worst case, we can turn off OPD when it's snowing.

BTW: Isn't there a "off road" mode for this car? I wonder if that reduces the total amount of acceleration/deceleration at any given moment?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Off road mode limits speed and re maps the opd to be low accel. It also makes opd NOT stop the car to lower chances of getting stuck. I played with it around the redwoods in ca.

I would never use off road mode driving on a road though maybe to get un stuck.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Ans yes for corners I decel before the corner. Coast through the bend with no accel or decel then accel out of it.

Used to leave in mass. I remember planning miles ahead for a turn so the car could air break and gradually decel :) fun times in a truly aweful car :)

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well a lot of people said it threw out the rear end. I can only assume they were familiar with OPD so not sure why that happened. Again a lot of Tesla drivers were pro and con. I am sure somewhere I read that Volvo recommends OPD for winter driving. Just looking to hear from anyone that has experience.
That is specific to (some?) Telsa cars because they are not 4 wheel drive all the time. They are primarily driven using the rear motor unless there is low traction or heavy acceleration. So, what ends up happening in the winter is the rear end can slide out a little when you regenerate in a curve. Shouldn't be as big a problem in the XC40 because it is full time all-wheel drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts