Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it appears that with the Polestar 3, Volvo has bumped up the processor in the car that runs AAOS. This leads to some pretty cool interface updates that are outlined in this article over at Ars Technica. I wonder if those of us with the old processor will be able to get this at all or our processors just aren't powerful enough for all this going on one screen. Would be nice though to not have to toggle back/forth between screens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So it appears that with the Polestar 3, Volvo has bumped up the processor in the car that runs AAOS. This leads to some pretty cool interface updates that are outlined in this article over at Ars Technica. I wonder if those of us with the old processor will be able to get this at all or our processors just aren't powerful enough for all this going on one screen. Would be nice though to not have to toggle back/forth between screens.

Volvo, Google, and Qualcom were all pushing out press releases from CES last week about this. They all mentioned it would be used in Volvo's "upcoming first electric SUV"...which I guess means the next one that comes out but I hope ours will be able to use the benefits. It was interesting to read some of the press material as it seems there are large teams involved in this whole process and it is a major priority at Volvo. If you read a lot of the threads here you would get the feeling there is just a couple interns in a closet in Sweden trying to get the infotainment system to work.

·
Registered
462 Posts
XC40‘s processor + smaller screen = my guess, we wont get any updates quite this nice— we’ll get a series of updates over time to keep things going — but i doubt we’ll see Tesla level of updates — that has never been Volvo’s business model. I suspect Polestar, with a larger screen (and prob a more robust processor than our car) might see deeper updates over time. But who knows!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was wondering the same for 2023 XC40's after I saw a post that said 2022 version XC40 ordering had finished, and that 2023 models would be configurable next. I'd imagine Volvo would try to use the same CPU/graphics in as many models as possible - it would be cheaper to use the better parts everywhere compared to the cost of supporting multiple hardware platforms.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is somewhat insane that on a rolling 5000lb vehicle, while keeping the GPS maps in view before and after, changing the radio station by hand and then back to the map view involves about five taps on a screen that has no tactile feedback. From maps view to radio view and then back to maps. Compare that to just pressing a dedicated radio station button on an old school car, so much safer and better. A split screen would make a huge difference for the better and would fix my current main gripe about the car for day-to-day usability. Yes, I know I could use my voice for this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I mean, I’m not a computer scientist but it doesn’t seem like it would take a super computer to display the map and a few other things at the bottom of the map…am I missing something?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Volvo, Google, and Qualcom were all pushing out press releases from CES last week about this. They all mentioned it would be used in Volvo's "upcoming first electric SUV"...which I guess means the next one that comes out but I hope ours will be able to use the benefits. It was interesting to read some of the press material as it seems there are large teams involved in this whole process and it is a major priority at Volvo. If you read a lot of the threads here you would get the feeling there is just a couple interns in a closet in Sweden trying to get the infotainment system to work.
The treads read that way because that has been the reality over the 8 months I have owned this car: great car with slow, buggy software and an unreliable internet connection. I would like to see Volvo assign to a couple of interns the task of figuring out how to get OTA software updates to every car. As of now, they cannot. So where a Volvo commitment to robust software development is concerned, I’ll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I mean, I’m not a computer scientist but it doesn’t seem like it would take a super computer to display the map and a few other things at the bottom of the map…am I missing something?
You are absolutely right. Our smallish screen size would be the main limitation.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is somewhat insane that on a rolling 5000lb vehicle, while keeping the GPS maps in view before and after, changing the radio station by hand and then back to the map view involves about five taps on a screen that has no tactile feedback. From maps view to radio view and then back to maps. Compare that to just pressing a dedicated radio station button on an old school car, so much safer and better. A split screen would make a huge difference for the better and would fix my current main gripe about the car for day-to-day usability. Yes, I know I could use my voice for this.
I’m assuming you are aware that on the “Home Screen” (where the 4 horizontal bars exist) you can swipe from right-to-left to see radio control buttons there, yes? That said, you mentioned having the Map view there and obviously in that view if you have Navi running it shows arrival time/etc but does NOT show the actual map. So to that point, you’re correct, there is no way to handle that.

However, one of my FAVORITE things about the XC40 compared to the 80+ other cars we’ve owned, is that it has actual knob for volume, play/pause button, and prev/next track options. There have been a few cars of late (Tesla, etc) where you don’t get physical buttons like that. Based on the perfect location in the XC40 (better than in the Polestar 2, which lacks the prev/next track buttons BTW) — i find that adjusting volume, or skipping a track, is as easy to do with me down in front of the gear selector, as it is on the steering wheel, and use both interchangeably.

I think the concept that having more controls on the screen makes sense only, as you put it, the ability to co-exist. Navigation + radio controls should be easy to see at the same time, and once our XC40 screen gets bigger to match the Polestar/etc that should be a no brainer. I just hope Volvo continues to keep physical switches (like Hyundia/Kia are doing, but places like Porsche, Are not)

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
It already does that. But those things are climate controls. Sounds like someone wants radio controls there, too (or maybe instead of climate controls, not sure). Personally, I couldn't care less about radio controls.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Small screen size? My iphone can do a thousand things this screen cannot do in a screen about 1/6th the size.
I meant as far as displaying a meaningfully large nav map at the top of the car's display, while the bottom third would be two other apps, as on the prototype photo in the first post. It'll make the nav map pretty small. Our car's display is also pretty low resolution compared to a modern phone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Small screen size? My iphone can do a thousand things this screen cannot do in a screen about 1/6th the size.
It wasn’t a matter of what can be controlled; it was a discussion of what can controlled -concurrently- on the screen. Right now you can only have the main menu show you limited trip data (no visual map) if you also want the audio controls or phone on the main/home page (and perhaps your Range app showing anticipated range). However, if you want the full screen map, you then lose audio controls (to which you have the physical lower buttons or steering buttons). What was requested above, and per the “preview” Polestar 3 photo shows, is that a future variation might allow audio controls -and- full map, on screen, concurrently. That was the discussion here — above.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It wasn’t a matter of what can be controlled; it was a discussion of what can controlled -concurrently- on the screen. Right now you can only have the main menu show you limited trip data (no visual map) if you also want the audio controls or phone on the main/home page (and perhaps your Range app showing anticipated range). However, if you want the full screen map, you then lose audio controls (to which you have the physical lower buttons or steering buttons). What was requested above, and per the “preview” Polestar 3 photo shows, is that a future variation might allow audio controls -and- full map, on screen, concurrently. That was the discussion here — above.
I understand that-I just don't think that the size of our screen is a limiting factor for that. Once CarPlay is available the CarPlay will likely be in landscape orientation and that leaves about half the screen for....nothing? Something else?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I understand that-I just don't think that the size of our screen is a limiting factor for that. Once CarPlay is available the CarPlay will likely be in landscape orientation and that leaves about half the screen for....nothing? Something else?
One guess is how Volvo has already implemented CarPlay on almost every other Volvo model for the last 4 years:
Mobile phone Telephone Telephony Communication Device Mobile device

But who knows? I don’t think we’ll see anything like the advanced AAOS layout shown in the Polestar 3 preview from CES. But it’s possible we could get some additional split-screen multitasking. Especially if Volvo is waiting to release our CarPlay concurrent with an update to Android 11 or 12 (as I’ve been speculating).

·
Registered
632 Posts
what i want is for when I put it into reverse for the backup camera to be at the bottom and the 360 to be at the top, all the time every time.
Yep, just like in the Infiniti I had the previous 10 years. You really want both. But two simultaneous video streams seems to be beyond the current Volvo AAOS implementation. Maybe with the Android 11 or 12 update?

·
Registered
69 Posts
what i want is for when I put it into reverse for the backup camera to be at the bottom and the 360 to be at the top, all the time every time.
I would love that too-I flip back and forth sometimes for parallel parking etc. Both would be very useful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts