Volvo XC40 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,117 Posts
What exactly did you configure in your guest signal to make it work? I've been unable to connect it to wifi and I just got a new router that offers more options.
Nothing special. Same settings as regular network, except "Guest". I'm not sure exactly WHAT my router (Amplifi HD) changes for a Guest network, other than enabling client isolation. We still don't actually know what the "magic" secret setting is that allows a wi-fi network to be visible to the XC40 P8.

To summarize, my XC40 P8 works with the following:
  • GUEST network, dual-band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
  • NORMAL network, 2.4Ghz ONLY
  • NORMAL network, 5GHZ ONLY
It DOES NOT work with:
- My default NORMAL network, dual-band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
-

·
Registered
189 Posts
Our C40 was not able to see either one of our home Wifi networks, one is a dual band, one is not. The car only saw 3 SSIDs while in our garage, including one broadcast by our Tesla wall charger, while my phone saw at least a dozen while in the car. Using a guest network with only one band turned on did not solve this problem. I ended up dusting off an old router and connected to the main home internet modem. The car saw the old router but while the signal strength seems fine, it struggles to connect to it (my phone connected to the old router without issue). I think it connected once briefly then got disconnected and couldn't connect again. I feel like these days a smart toothbrush have better Wifi support than this car.

• Sad
Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
21 XC40 P8
82 Posts
My 21 has no trouble connecting to my wifi on 5ghz or 2 and can connect to my 2ghz at a pretty good distance. It never has a problem near the garage for sure because one of my access points in the front corner of the ceiling in there.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Maybe... I can test some different names this weekend
SSID name has nothing to do with this. Hyphens are fine. Spaces are fine.

There is some other (as yet unidentified) factor on some router hardware that makes one SSID name show up, and another one not.

·
Registered
824 Posts
SSID name has nothing to do with this. Hyphens are fine. Spaces are fine.

There is some other (as yet unidentified) factor on some router hardware that makes one SSID name show up, and another one not.
Right, I just noticed/remembered that my single-band guest SSID has a dash in the name, and the car connects fine.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Volvo P8 does not recognize our Xfinity home wifi. Strong signal in the garage, Chargepoint charger connected to wifi and all laptops, iPhones, etc see and connect to the wifi at both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz outputs. Able to connect to neighbor's wifi that is Google based, also visited other neighbors to see connectivity with other suppliers (eg. Verizon FIOS). Wifi connection options only found at homes having a Google Mesh or NetGear _2GEXT wifi name. Has anyone else had this unwelcome experience? No wifi - no updates!!
I was able to successfully connect the car to our wifi this morning. Although, oddly, once I put the password in and the car connected, our wifi was no longer listed on the screen.

·
Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
291 Posts
Mine is connected to a 2g AP on my home network fine,
Nacho WiFi-79C928-2G

The only thing I can think of why some names are ok and some aren’t isn’t about characters, but encodings. Maybe some of your routers are doing something goofy with character encoding and there are some extra bytes floating around despite mapping to what looks like a valid value.

No data to back that up though

·
Registered
13 Posts
2022 xc40 recharge here, only had it about a week. Trying to resolve the issue where the app shows a different charge percentage than the display in the car led me down this connectivity investigation.

Car doesn’t see my home’s wifi despite being just on the other side of the wall from the router (other devices connect fine from that location and report strong signal). Running dual-band network on an asus ax6600, the ssid does contain a space. I created a 5ghz guest network (wpa2, no space in ssid) which the car saw but would not connect to (prompts for pw but never connects). Created a 2.4ghz network (wpa2, also no space in ssid) which the car sees and connects to. (Note: device is listed on router client list as VCCxxxxxxxx where the xxxx portion is the VIN).

update: it connects, but drops when the system sleeps and doesn’t automatically reconnect. Reconnects manually just fine.

So I seemed to have somewhat solved the home wifi issue (would be nice if it just connected to the main network and/or stayed connected to the guest), but this hasn’t done anything for the charge percentage being out of sync on the app vs in the car itself.

·
Registered
525 Posts
2022 C40 running software version 2.0.
Easily found my home WiFi and guest WiFi. Set up the C40 on the home network. Running an Eero Network with a mesh node in the garage utilizing Xfinity internet "Blast" level service. (Download speed: Up to 600mbps. Upload speeds: Up to 20mbps.)
Not sure if my internet connection or 2.0 is the key, but this AAOS is quick! Extremely quick.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
2022 C40 running software version 2.0.
Easily found my home WiFi and guest WiFi. Set up the C40 on the home network. Running an Eero Network with a mesh node in the garage utilizing Xfinity internet "Blast" level service. (Download speed: Up to 600mbps. Upload speeds: Up to 20mbps.)
Not sure if my internet connection or 2.0 is the key, but this AAOS is quick! Extremely quick.
Nice that your main network worked for you. How are you determining that "AAOS is quick"?

Do you mean Wi-Fi speeds are fast? (there's no SpeedTest app, as far as I know).

Or did you just mean the UI and screens seem snappy? (nothing to do with Wi-Fi).

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice that your main network worked for you. How are you determining that "AAOS is quick"?

Do you mean Wi-Fi speeds are fast? (there's no SpeedTest app, as far as I know).

Or did you just mean the UI and screens seem snappy? (nothing to do with Wi-Fi).
Yes, I meant to say snappy! Many aspects are great. Google Assistant seems “smarter”.
Of course I may be viewing everything thru rose colored glasses! 😉

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes, I meant to say snappy! Many aspects are great. Google Assistant seems “smarter”.
Of course I may be viewing everything thru rose colored glasses! 😉
I've had rose tinted glasses from the beginning. AAOS does work very well for me with no lag and I really like it. I see a lot of complaints about it but for me it's great. Not a ton of bells and whistles but I like that honestly.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
231 Posts
Having issues connecting to my home wifi too. Just found this in the Volvo manual. Apologies if already covered, and hopefully future software updates will bring WPA3 and dual band/smart steering compatibility. Am looking at upgrading my wifi for security with something like a Netgear Orbis RBK 752. Anyone have any feedback to offer on this?

Possible network types to connect to.
It is only possible to connect to the following types of network:
  • Frequency — 2.4 or 5 GHz.
  • Standards — 802.11 a/b/g/n.
  • Security type — WPA2-AES-CCMP.
The car’s Wi-Fi system is designed to handle Wi-Fi devices inside the car.
If several devices operate on the frequency at the same time then it may result in reduced performance.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts