Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,117 Posts
Important that your wifi name does not have any spaces eg: my2.5GHzwifi .4 or xxxx5.0 for
Again with the spaces, sigh. As I've posted before, this is urban legend stuff.

My XC40 P8 works JUST FINE with spaces in the SSID name, specifically "Family Office 2G" and "Family Office 5G". These are each single-band networks. What DOESN'T WORK for me is dual-band SSID with both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz. That is never seen by my car.

·
Registered
Glacial Silver 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge with 20” wheels , heat pump, winter package
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

My XC40 P8 works JUST FINE with spaces in the SSID name, specifically "Family Office 2G" and "Family Office 5G". These are each single-band networks. What DOESN'T WORK for me is dual-band SSID with both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz. That is never seen by my car.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OK. But, I have a dual band Xfinity system and both are available for connection at the vehicle.
Sure. I'm just saying that SPACES work fine. Spaces in the SSID name are not the underlying issue here.

I'm also NOT saying that dual-band is the underlying issue - just that MY normal dual-band network is never visible to my car, only my single-band networks (when enabled). In fact, my car can see MY NEIGHBOR'S dual-band Xfinity network just fine.

I don't think anyone has really figured out what the EXACT issue is with some networks being invisible to the car. I certainly don't have the skills to troubleshoot Wi-Fi baseband radio issues. We're all just making cargo-cult voodoo guesses here...

·
Premium Member
Volvo XC-40 pure electric
32 Posts
Mine will not any of my four networks. Orbi 6. Wallbox connects fine. Car is on 1.8. It does see dozens of random networks when driving around, but I’ve not tried to connect to them. FWIW I’m in Rio de Janeiro and deliveries just started here last week. I doubt that the dealer would have any expertise. The cellular connection from T-Mobile seems to have no problems at all. I’m just perusing all the thread now, so I’ll try some of the advice.
I am pleased about some things but in nearly all respects I prefer any of my three Tesla. They are not yet in Brazil so for now dealing with the numerous teething problems. Systems integration is very poor, on a par with abysmal energy efficiency 504 Wh/mi.
My Tesla Model S Plaid has lifetime 297 Wh/mi. I did not expect high efficiency but this is absurd.

Otherwise I do like the car. I planned to keep it a long time. Now I’ll trade for a Tesla as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Mine will not any of my four networks.
As suggested above, try setting up a single-band network (either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) rather than the default dual-band network - if you haven't already tried this. That worked for me (Amplifi HD wi-fi).

But the car does work with SOME dual-band wi-fi networks, so the true underlying issue here is still a mystery. My money is on crappy hardware and/or buggy software in the TCAM component, which I also suspect is the underlying cause of most of our LTE problems. (The TCAM runs most everything in the car that has a radio).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
516 Posts
Otherwise I do like the car. I planned to keep it a long time. Now I’ll trade for a Tesla as soon as I can.
Right, it doesn't look to be a good match for what you're looking for. It's definitely not up there with good efficiency and robust technology.
I bought it for comfort, convenience, moderate power and to avoid being clumped into the nerdy Tesla driver crowd. (not that that is a bad thing)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I guess I went the other way….just traded my Tesla in for the Volvo. The Volvo is quieter and smoother than the Tesla. The Tesla had much better tech and speed, but it was extremely rough and loud inside. The rattles, windo noise etc we’re also getting worse and worse….they were driving me crazy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There's a lot of YMMV when troubleshooting wifi issues, but I ended up having to do a full factory reset of the IHU on one of our XC40s. It kept throwing a "no internet" message after connecting. It seems to be fine for the week and a half since I did that. (I'm not a believer in the idea that a device can't handle mixed 2.4/5 networks... that's usually more of an excuse to put blame on the user instead of the manufacturer.)

Reactions: houkura

·
Premium Member
Volvo XC-40 pure electric
32 Posts
Thanks to all of you! I now have wifi connectivity by creating a single-band guest network.
It has been taking several adjustments but I now even have my preferred audio service, Calm Radio, including things like album covers. That one was slightly tricky because their android app will not install in the Volvo, but the link from my iPhone not only works but displays as it does on the phone. Coupled with the very good Volvo sound system life si now more pleasant.
My brother-in-law, a devoted Elvis Presley fan, is now loving the Volvo because it has better sound than his house.

FWIW, I have found that quite a few glitches disappeared by uninstalling and reinstalling just as I did long ago. Further it seems there are several other updates coming soon, including pairing to the Apple Watch.

Anyway, all of you, @BainbridgeIsland in particular solved my problems for me, appropriately so because that is one of my favorite US places.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
96 Posts
Was finally able to get my P8 to see my home wi-fi by turning on the guest network. I am on Verizon Fios "Whole Home Wi-fi" G3100 router with a secondary extender upstairs so I knew signal was not an issue because my Chargepoint Home Flex in the garage can see the network just fine. The guest network comes disabled by default but you can activate it in the app or by logging into the account online.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I tried my 22 that is on 1.7 and it connected to my regular 5GHz wifi (which is a 160MHz channel), wonder if later software updates fixed that. I will need to try my 21 which is on 1.8 next.Coudl also be my Unifi APs which I upgraded from NaonHDs to U6-LRs about 6 weeks ago.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What exactly did you configure in your guest signal to make it work? I've been unable to connect it to wifi and I just got a new router that offers more options.
I just enabled a guest SSID at the non-5G level, called it C40GUEST and it popped right up on the car, i entered the password and it connected.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I just enabled a guest SSID at the non-5G level, called it C40GUEST and it popped right up on the car, i entered the password and it connected.
I had that issue with the Volvo as well as the Wallbox EVSE, I keep my 2.4GHz bands to 20MHz channel and no bells nd whistles for things that are hard to connect and call it the SLOW network.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts