Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo P8 does not recognize our Xfinity home wifi. Strong signal in the garage, Chargepoint charger connected to wifi and all laptops, iPhones, etc see and connect to the wifi at both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz outputs. Able to connect to neighbor's wifi that is Google based, also visited other neighbors to see connectivity with other suppliers (eg. Verizon FIOS). Wifi connection options only found at homes having a Google Mesh or NetGear _2GEXT wifi name. Has anyone else had this unwelcome experience? No wifi - no updates!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Volvo P8 does not recognize our Xfinity home wifi. Strong signal in the garage, Chargepoint charger connected to wifi and all laptops, iPhones, etc see and connect to the wifi at both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz outputs. Able to connect to neighbor's wifi that is Google based, also visited other neighbors to see connectivity with other suppliers (eg. Verizon FIOS). Wifi connection options only found at homes having a Google Mesh or NetGear _2GEXT wifi name. Has anyone else had this unwelcome experience? No wifi - no updates!!
Mine can only see my GUEST network, not my primary FAMILY network. Both SSIDs are configured the same (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) except that GUEST has "wireless isolation" enabled. The car can also see all of my neighbors' SSIDs just fine. I'm using Amplifi HD router & mesh points. It's not a signal-stregth/coverage issue. I tested moving one of my mesh points into the garage near the car - no difference. Still could only see the GUEST network. Something's definitely weird here.

For now this is OK, since there should be no need for direct peer connections between the car and my phone. All connections are mediated thru the Volvo On Call web site.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, same here! I have a super advanced Netgear wifi 6 router at home with amazing signal quality, broadcasting in both 2.4 and 5, and it completely doesn't recognize it at all. I even added a network extender in the garage (also netgear) and it wouldn't pick that up either. Meanwhile it picks up my neighbor's wifi, and driving around town it will pick up all kinds of random wifi signals. The only thing I can do is to use my phone's Mobile Hotspot feature, in which case it will connect to that (but obviously that is not optimal).

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Xfinity dual band does not connect also. I am not sure it matters at this point since my limited understanding is the OA updates will come thru the data line in the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have any 'Space' in the SSID? I create guest SSID with space and couldn't able to see in the car. But when I replace space with '_', it was okay.
Should be XC40 SW bug. Too buggy SW.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I'd get smaller updates over the WiFi network, but I guess if the car is also connected directly via cellular, the home network is unnecessary(?)
I need to confirm with US dealer on Google subscription status for 4 years. I was told I needed WiFi connectivity at home for updates that may come through during off hours. Was not informed of Google 4 year subscription at time of delivery only about Volvo On Call updates to occur later this year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you have any 'Space' in the SSID? I create guest SSID with space and couldn't able to see in the car. But when I replace space with '_', it was okay.
Should be XC40 SW bug. Too buggy SW.

This is a reported Android issue:
From Google bug report:

Android fails to attempt to associate with an Access point if there are
spaces in the name. The SSID is defined as 32 octets of any data. Spaces
in the name should be a legal value.

Steps to Reproduce:
1- Configure an AP with "SSID WITH SPACES IN THE NAME !" for the SSID field.
2- Attempt to connect to the AP with android system (or probably any other
Android unit)
3- Unit will go from new AP name to "remembered" without attempting to
associate with the AP.

The solution:
Rename the SSID and eliminate all spaces.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mine can only see my GUEST network, not my primary FAMILY network. Both SSIDs are configured the same (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) except that GUEST has "wireless isolation" enabled.
UPDATE: I created an additional (non-guest) SSID on my router, set for 2.4GHz ONLY. The XC40 found that one & connected with no problem. Must be something weird about not seeing certain dual-band SSIDs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My P8 recognizes a bunch of the neighbors' networks, but not ours. I've tested it in the garage and parked in the driveway and the curb. My phone, my wife's iPod, the Blink charging unit, and the automatic watering controller all recognize and work fine through wi-fi in the garage, so it's not signal strength. There is no space in the network name. It's an AT&T U-verse router/modem. I don't see any immediate need for the connection, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My P8 recognizes a bunch of the neighbors' networks, but not ours. I've tested it in the garage and parked in the driveway and the curb. My phone, my wife's iPod, the Blink charging unit, and the automatic watering controller all recognize and work fine through wi-fi in the garage, so it's not signal strength. There is no space in the network name. It's an AT&T U-verse router/modem. I don't see any immediate need for the connection, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Try with 2.4GHz, not 5GHz. BainbrigeIsland mentioned that part.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try with 2.4GHz, not 5GHz. BainbrigeIsland mentioned that part.
Dealer service evaluation was useless. Told me modem was working normal. Despite explanation of my no WiFi at home they made no effort to pursue further with me. Have contacted Volvo North America customer service. Outcome to be determined.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dealer service evaluation was useless. Told me modem was working normal. Despite explanation of my no WiFi at home they made no effort to pursue further with me. Have contacted Volvo North America customer service. Outcome to be determined.
I would be shocked if a car dealer had any willingness (or capability) to help diagnose your home wi-fi network & router.

As mentioned, on your router try setting up an additional 2.4GHz-only wi-fi network (SSID). Or if it's an option, "split" the router into separate 2.4GHz & 5GHz networks, rather than having them combined into one SSID.

The particular wi-fi chip in the Volvo (made by Continental Automotive) seems to be having a hard time seeing certain routers & certain dual-band network setups.

EDIT: at this point, there's nothing in our XC40s that actually requires a wi-fi connection. Unless the car can't get cell reception at all, everything can be done via the onboard 4G cellular data connection.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts