Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems connecting/using the wi-fi. Although my phone adopts the wi-fi name and password, wi-fi is unavailable and using Safari indicates that the phone can not link to the server. Also, it is not possible to complete the registration process for the wi-fi system, as the appropriate screen is not always available - when it is, the signal fails during the process..

·
Registered
69 Posts
We tried it since it was free for 3 months, but could never get it to work. Since we don't really need it, we just gave it up for a bad job.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would take the car to the dealer and have them inspect the SIM card that is inside the modem in the trunk. This is optional and very possible just was not inserted. Do you see the car WiFi when you are on the phone setup? If you don't see it it may not be present. If you see it and just can't connect, this would be a maintenance issue at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
260 Posts
You might have to register an account with AT&T to activate the 3 month trial. Did you have to do that, whiteyjfm?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You might have to register an account with AT&T to activate the 3 month trial. Did you have to do that, whiteyjfm?
Yes, we did. They send a password but even with that it would never work. Not something we need, was just a free thing we wanted to try out. No big deal for us thou.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were never notified that there was a SIM card in the vehicle, and when we learned that it was even a possibility, our salesperson was clueless when we asked about it. We then attempted to insert a loaded card and discovered the AT&T SIM to our complete surprise.

How did you even know there was a card, and how did you get a password from AT&T? I would very much LIKE to have the car function as an autonomous phone on occasion.

Seems very odd to us that any company would provide a service and then not tell you about it.
Anyone else aware of this feature/service and how to activate it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
We were never notified that there was a SIM card in the vehicle, and when we learned that it was even a possibility, our salesperson was clueless when we asked about it. We then attempted to insert a loaded card and discovered the AT&T SIM to our complete surprise.

How did you even know there was a card, and how did you get a password from AT&T? I would very much LIKE to have the car function as an autonomous phone on occasion.

Seems very odd to us that any company would provide a service and then not tell you about it.
Yes it is indeed a shame to get a sales person who is unfamiliar with the car. The quickguide does mention the vehicle modem (see picture) but it does not mention about a sim included. The modem requires no password and once the feature is activated, your car automatically would have a WiFi which password you set under settings->communications-Vehicle Modem Internet, then settings->vehicle WiFi hotspot

·
Registered
5 Posts

My dealer (salesman) never knew this feature existed... Thank you internet! And I love this--unlike my other car brands (cough BMW), where the SIM card is not accessible and you are forced to use their service, you can pop any SIM into here and call it a day. In my case, I had an AT&T account already so just activated the SIM in the vehicle...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts