Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
228 Posts
and what does this mean for improvements on the XC40 software or will it become a legacy software
I watched the Tech Moment in June when this moving sw dev in-house was announced. The context was thenext gen EV platform. That means the XC40 and C40 Recharge will not benefit from this change. The new platform will likely show up in the XC90 refresh.

I took Håken Samuelsson’s comment one this move as throwing its sw contractors under the bus. He complained that sw contractors bogged down efforts to fix problems.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I watched the Tech Moment in June when this moving sw dev in-house was announced. The context was thenext gen EV platform. That means the XC40 and C40 Recharge will not benefit from this change. The new platform will likely show up in the XC90 refresh.

I took Håken Samuelsson’s comment one this move as throwing its sw contractors under the bus. He complained that sw contractors bogged down efforts to fix problems.

Great so we are orphaned already? Not saying much for their commitment to the XC40/C40 at this point. Really shows that XC40/C40 were a rushed stop gap mostly to get in the EV game in EU than to really be a strategic product.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Technology brought us to a level that we forget that XC40 is a car, not a computer. Since the introduction of any computer and phone, there have been always updates and bug fixes. Nobody was successful to write bug-free software so far.
Completely disagree. “ship it then slowly fix it” is not an acceptable business model when the product is a $60,000 automobile.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
228 Posts
“ship it then slowly fix it” is not an acceptable business model when the product is a $60,000 automobile.
It wasn’t a good model for the Boeing 737 MAX, either.

As the microchip shortage has shown, cars today, both ICE and EVs, are rolling computers. Some are more computerized than others, but the days of cars being purely mechanical machines are long past.

·
Registered
278 Posts
...my partner really wanted a Tesla Model 3...but agreed to the Volvo as it was the more practical car....
We have both, and chose the XC40 over the model 3 for a recent 950 mile road trip. Even with a slight charging disadvantage and incomplete software development, the XC40 P8 is a much more pleasant car to sit in and drive. We don't use the Model 3 much any more.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Completely disagree. “ship it then slowly fix it” is not an acceptable business model when the product is a $60,000 automobile.
This strategy has been working very well for Tesla - dozens of cool features that work anywhere from once-in-a-while to most-of-the-time.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
126 Posts
When I was thinking about purchasing the P8, I was completely going against my mantra of never buying a car with a first-year design and never never one with a significant tech change (and what a tech change going from ICE to BEV). I was completely going out on a limb that I knew would sag or break, but at my age I said "what the heck". My wife cautioned me several times and thought I was off my rocker. I expected many miscues, but have been gladly surprised. I've had the car over 3 months with over 2k miles and hardly a glitch (knock-on-wood). Now she fights me over driving it, and wants to sell our other (ICE) Volvo that she hardly drives anymore. Maybe a C40 in the future. We are fortunate and appreciative.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This strategy has been working very well for Tesla - dozens of cool features that work anywhere from once-in-a-while to most-of-the-time.
Working well for whom, Tesla corporate or its customers? I intentionally stayed away from Tesla for that very reason. At least Tesla rolls out regular OTA updates. Volvo’s update announcements are vague as to timing and who will be lucky enough to actually get the update. A P8 owner cannot even determine which version is currently running.

·
Registered
428 Posts
At least Tesla rolls out regular OTA updates.
Yes - it's one thing for individual new software features to have glitches or bugs, but quite another when the underlying software update platform itself is not yet stable or widely-released. Unfortunately that's where Volvo is currently, and is the source of much of our frustration.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Three years to develop the hardware and then a few months before delivering: "ya know, we're gonna need some software"
Sadly this is always the way things go for mixed hardware/software projects. The hardware schedule slips, software debugging can really only get started once the hardware is complete, so software slips even later (don't forget to fix hardware bugs/shortcomings in software), and of course the first-ship date is never extended.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Tesla was a different audience and plenty of people got fed up with the build quality, quirky software, etc. Volvo built the XC40 P8 to appeal to the main stream buyer, heck it is a Volvo. The real test is them moving this OS into their XC60, can’t wait to see how the soccer moms deal with the bugs.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yeah they will have to choose between safety, which what pulls them to Volvo over trouble free car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree £61,000 car in the UK, more expensive than the Tesla 3, but I feel I have bought a prototype, car is great no issues but constant irritations from the electronics is a pain when I though I had bought a "Premium" car. Navigation system keeps disappearing from the drivers display, a SIM card slot that does nothing but hold your spare SIM card!
Road sign speed indication is just wrong in the UK, only ever of any use in towns.
The app is not a patch on the XC60 app I had previously.
Overall I can't help feeling I overpaid for this car, I bought off the book as they weren't available to view my decision was swayed by how good the XC60 T8 was.

(How much is the MG EV? - Half the price it may still have dodgy software but at least the price is more realistic).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I agree £61,000 car in the UK, more expensive than the Tesla 3, but I feel I have bought a prototype, car is great no issues but constant irritations from the electronics is a pain when I though I had bought a "Premium" car. Navigation system keeps disappearing from the drivers display, a SIM card slot that does nothing but hold your spare SIM card!
Road sign speed indication is just wrong in the UK, only ever of any use in towns.
The app is not a patch on the XC60 app I had previously.
Overall I can't help feeling I overpaid for this car, I bought off the book as they weren't available to view my decision was swayed by how good the XC60 T8 was.

(How much is the MG EV? - Half the price it may still have dodgy software but at least the price is more realistic).

Do you have ver. 1.7? I had several issues, but after 3 reboots in last week it seems to be settling down. The software is truly glitchy and very buggy. Unfortunately buggy software is a fact of life with EVs. I had lunch with a buddy Friday and he bought a 2015 Model S Tesla and was telling me the quirks he has. And that is with a car that has been out for 8 years.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts