Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technology brought us to a level that we forget that XC40 is a car, not a computer. Since the introduction of any computer and phone, there have been always updates and bug fixes. Nobody was successful to write bug-free software so far.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
110 Posts
Technology brought us to a level that we forget that XC40 is a car, not a computer. Since the introduction of any computer and phone, there have been always updates and bug fixes. Nobody was successful to write bug-free software so far.
I agree. This is exactly why I went with Volvo instead of Tesla for an EV. I wanted a car first, and a computer second. In other words, I wanted to drive a car, not a computer. Like anything else, I have confidence the SW bugs will be worked out in time. Patience.

·
Registered
112 Posts
While I generally agree with you, the fact that they aren’t actually providing updates without visiting a dealer is a major issue. Regular updates are the solution to things that don’t work right out of the box. If it takes a multi hour visit to a dealer every other month that’s a factor that changes the experience from a minor annoyance to a significant one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel otherwise because, whether we like it or not, products are increasingly a combination of hardware and software and we need to hold manufacturers to account for their total initial delivered quality.

For example, when car manufacturers chose to replace mechanical carburetors and distributors with software driven fuel and ignition systems they claimed performance and efficiency benefits from that and advertised those benefits. Surely they were also committing to deliver an acceptable level of quality of those components as part of the whole car. Would we accept poor fuel or ignition systems simply because they were software driven

Years ago I did some work for a UK importer of an Eastern European car manufacturer. Some of those cars came from the factory with all of their seats, but front and back seats were of differing colors. When the importer complained, the factory didn't understand the issue as the car was complete and functional so there was no reason to complain. Was the factory correct?

Manufacturers advertise and sell their products based on the totality of capability of hardware and software components. Consumers select and buy those products on the same capabilities. Neither hardware not software will ever be perfect, but whether it's a hardware component or a software component that either isn't delivered as advertised or fails prematurely we should be equally upset.

I feel that any manufacturer who takes a "we'll fix it later" approach to any aspect of their products is gambling with their reputation and their future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe since Tesla made phone app, keyless car, and software based environment lots of people got obsessed thinking this is the future. On top of that it was heavily advertised on social media. This is the way perhaps. Time will show. I grow up between both worlds, analog and digital. I am thinking that if Volvo manage to keep proper balance between analog and digital in combination with decent performance and quality build it is going to be one of the best.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I get the cars are becoming computers on wheels, but that is no reason to prematurely release a product and not be prepared for the issues. Dealers are not adequately trained or supported by Volvo. I am clearly in lemon law territory, yet I hang on for a bit longer mostly because I like the car and the dealer has been great. The area Volvo rep gave me his information and offered to swap out the car if and when I want. Most car manufacturers will not give you the time of day, let alone their contact info, comp me 2 monthly payments and to even swap the car out. As long as they stay engaged and the problems settle down I will be happy.

But clearly Volvo released the OS prematurely and was not prepared. And yes all EVs being as software driven as they are and as new as they are, will all have their share of bugs.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
45 Posts
This is my third "modern" Volvo. On the other two, the app was flawless. I could see how much gas was in the car (my wife is notorious for not getting gas). I could see where it was parked. I could also break down my drives by work and personal, this helped with reimbursements. They app made the Volvo ownership experience better and easier. Now on the most "high tech" car I have ever owned, the app does not reliably provide the one thing that I think is critical - state of charge. I did buy the Volvo because it was the most car like EV and not a rolling spaceship laptop hybrid. But it would make my ownership easier and nice if the app had all the same features I used on my last two Volvos. Am I mad about it or obsessed, no. Not as obsessed as I am to get the 1.7 update. :)

Reactions: 1moreRobot

·
Registered
155 Posts
There's nothing in the car that couldn't have been properly programmed out of the gate, save for shear incompetence.

SiriusXM radio hardware, which Volvos have had practically since they were still making ball bearings, non-functional until we're bequeathed an update who knows when? That's just embarrassing.

I'm amazed they have an air conditioning button.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am curious how much of the missing features are Google was not ready or Volvo did not get it done in time.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
My take of this article was that Volvo only recently brought software development in-house:
Oh goody .... more Middleware! o_O We'll just abstract away all our problems....
"VolvoCars.OS will act as an umbrella system for electric Volvo cars. It incorporates the company’s various operating systems across the car and the cloud, creating one coherent software OS environment. The underlying operating systems include Android Automotive OS, QNX, AUTOSAR and Linux.
Switching the hardware to NVIDIA SoC architecture does sound exciting, though. Obviously won't help our XC40 P8s - with its 5-year old budget Intel Atom CPU computer, built by a tire company (Continental). :cry:

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
100 Posts
I can see the point of everyone’s comments above. I think for me, part of the issue with the app not working (and let’s face it, for most of us that’s the only real quibble) is that I’m a Volvo nut since forever, and my partner really wanted a Tesla Model 3...but agreed to the Volvo as it was the more practical car. So I got my way but now I get a lot of guff about how the app never works! :) Of course Tesla has a big head start with this stuff, but reading above it’s interesting to note that previous Volvo with the Sensus system had a great and functional app...so taking a bit step back is frustrating. You would think they will eventually get it worked out. They’re probably in a mad panic having introduced the Google Automotive OS on the XC60, XC90 and S/V90 for 2022 as well. The XC60 is their biggest seller I believe so if the app doesn’t work on that, they’re going to have a LOT more dissatisfied customers than the few of us with the XC40 Recharge EV...so I bet they are working on it!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My take of this article was that Volvo only recently brought software development in-house:
Great so it gets worse than what we have now? I get it, but they still rushed it. When I brought my car in for first IHU issues the dealer was telling me about the pains when they rolled Sensus and that they eventually got it resolved. It took a few years, really? Where is my “partial functionality” “beta tester” discount then? I buy a car to enjoy and use, not get frustrated with what is not working on any given day. I commented before,I have own-nee a lot of cars and all had their then current top of the line infotainment systems. Some were quirky, heck my 15 Acura’s if I used Navigation and put my doctors office in the system would reboot every time. Wife’s 19 RDX CarPlay rarely worked, but that was it. The P8 OS is very quirky and unreliable. I had to reboot it twice yesterday on 1.7.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK Yay! My app is working fully for the first time! Only issue is that **** red spoiler on the tailgate should be black!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Rectangle Material property

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it’s hilarious how this forum changes the word D-A-M-N to ****

Reactions: Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Many have probably already read this, but here's an interesting arstechnica piece from back in the spring about AAOS (on a Polestar 2). The comments are also worth a read.

Reactions: Jim
1 - 20 of 38 Posts