Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our P8 today. After being adamant I'd prefer 19" rims, I test drove both 19" and 20" versions and went with 20" instead, herein eating my words. My reasons:
1) The 19's had a noticeably softer ride, but also a little more vague and "SUV" feeling. I actually preferred the ride on the 20's - but my daily driver is a bone-jarring model 3.
2) Michelin's soon-to-be-introduced Pilot Sport SUV-EV tire will be available for the 20" wheels but not 19".
3) Harmon-Kardon's "adequate audio" seems to only be paired with 20" rims in my area.
4) They do look cooler and I'm willing to be more careful over rough pavement edges, etc common in my area.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love my 20" wheels, too! They just look so much cooler/sportier than the 19s, if sporty is what you want. And I've been extremely impressed with the HK audio. I also had HK audio in my previous car (BMW X5 hybrid), but the audio in my P8 seems much richer with deeper bass.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had wished for 19's but love my 20s. Fortunately in my part ot NW ATL roads are good so the 20's don't show their harshness as much. Very few P8s in SE with 19s and those typically don't; have some other packages as well.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
141 Posts
2) Michelin's soon-to-be-introduced Pilot Sport SUV-EV tire will be available for the 20" wheels but not 19".
On their official website:
"The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be rolled out in the course of 2021 in a choice of 16 sizes (original equipment: 11 sizes / replacement market: 5 sizes) for 18- to 22-inch rims."

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
On their official website:
"The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be rolled out in the course of 2021 in a choice of 16 sizes (original equipment: 11 sizes / replacement market: 5 sizes) for 18- to 22-inch rims."

Curious to see them. I love Michelin, but they tend to wear out easily and for their price premium I had moved to Conti DWS 06 years ago. Fraction of the price and equally as good. Hopefully as the EV tire market grows prices may come down a bit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We just bought our P8 today. After being adamant I'd prefer 19" rims, I test drove both 19" and 20" versions and went with 20" instead, herein eating my words. My reasons:
1) The 19's had a noticeably softer ride, but also a little more vague and "SUV" feeling. I actually preferred the ride on the 20's - but my daily driver is a bone-jarring model 3.
3) Harmon-Kardon's "adequate audio" seems to only be paired with 20" rims in my area.
4) They do look cooler and I'm willing to be more careful over rough pavement edges, etc common in my area.
Congratulations on the purchase. I went with the 19" wheels and those have a stiffer feel than my Acura or the Leaf I sold, although that may in part be the overall SUV AWD and body type. I wouldn't want a firmer tire or one more easily deformed on bumps, potholes, etc. "Coolness" is personal taste, of course, but I've never thought skinny tires looked cool and more to the point, trying to make any SUV look cool is IMO like putting lipstick on a pig, not that I dislike the XC40. It's better-looking than the Leaf, for sure. But 20" wheels seems to me like putting on racing stripes or a spoiler.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Part of the issue regardless of size wheel on the P8 is the 41+ lbs PSI inflation spec making either size a bit stiff and unforgiving.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
...But 20" wheels seems to me like putting on racing stripes or a spoiler.
Ouch - mine has the "roof spoiler" too! 😳 I'm not going to argue right or wrong with anyone on 19/20 for the XC40 - they both have their strengths. I've driven everything from 70-series doughnuts on 14" steel wheels to 30-series rubber bands stretched over 20" aluminum spools. Went with 18" wheels on my hotrod Model 3, rather than 19 or 20, for practicality.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
695 Posts
- What's the advantages or significance of "The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV"

- I WANTED the 19" for the reported "more comfortable ride" by early European adopters. Long story short, I ended up with the 20" (with a little kicking and screaming) as it wasn't my initial choice. Thankfully, most roads I travel on within DFW area are well maintained, so I have to be super mindful to slow down (lots) for potholes, broken surfaces etc.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
- What's the advantages or significance of "The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV" ...
It's just Michelin's first effort at a low rolling resistance tire with good traction and cornering. Should be a great choice for EV-SUVs. I ended up with 20's too, required in my area to get the H-K sound system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts