Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on a road trip 2 weeks ago, my windshield took a blow from a rock on the NJ Turnpike. An 8" crack that's expanded to half the windshield now. Long story but the original glass installer called to cancel my repair saying OEM glass is on backorder until the end of October!?!? Called my dealer who said he knows "a guy" that has the windshield. Dealer went to pick it up and it was broken in the box. I have a "case" open with Volvo USA and they genuinely seem to want to help but geez, no windshields for XC40s anywhere in the US??? I fully understand supply chain issues and all that comes with that but really, no windshields??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not that it helps but I had the exact same thing happen when I bought one of the first 2018 Audi S4's. I had to wait about 2-3 months for the glass to become available.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just read a news article yesterday that it's not just chips but all kinds of auto parts are in severe shortage right now:
Automakers' problems are much worse than we thought

Tough times for those who need a new car or new parts. I hope somebody pulls through for ya!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had my car broken into first weeks I had it. Volvo special ordered the drivers passenger side window and replaced it a few days later.

And yes global supply chains are not doing well :(

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
I had my car broken into first weeks I had it. Volvo special ordered the drivers passenger side window and replaced it a few days later.

And yes global supply chains are not doing well :(
Dealers do not have all parts available. Everyday use items like oil filters, water pumps, break pads, rotors etc. will be with the dealership most of the time. Volvo has a big warehouse in California where most of the parts will be supplied from including (I bet) your window. It takes few days. Remember few years back I was ordering some part.... forgot what it was...and it was big snow in Seattle. It was coming from California via UPS. Normally it will take one or two days. That one took 3-4 days.
Right now supply chains are overwhelmed. I will go Christmas shopping very soon. This Black Friday will be one of kind gong show and not planning to wait.

Something from yesterday: Shipping containers moved trough Canadian west coast grew (compared to pre-pandemic 2019 same period) with 25%. Normal growth is 2-3% per year. Figures never seen before. Data analysts are pointing that Canadian west coast will run out of containers capacity by the second half of the current decade (2027-2028). Red similar figures for the entire west coast of North America. So yep it is bad and it is not going to get better anytime soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the P8 glass same as ICE version? Did you try Safelite?
I did try Safelite. Unfortunately, they had "limited availability" but offered to schedule an appointment and cross their fingers that a windshield would come in. I feel like everyone sources from Volvo or a local dealer somehow anyway. My hope was (and possibly your thinking) they may have some sort of stock of these things somewhere.

I did hear from Volvo USA this morning that they in fact were able to find a window in Jacksonville FL and they are FedEx-ing it my dealership for tomorrow in NH. They also said "fingers crossed it doesn't arrive damaged". Seems like this is all new to them as well but I do feel like they are trying to satisfy the situation. If it arrives in one piece and I can get it replaced tomorrow at the dealer, I'll be extremely happy. And...quite pleased with the effort from Volvo to satisfy a new Volvo family member. They certainly could have just said, "too bad, you need to wait like everyone else".

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a problem occurring with the XC40 windshields fracturing even while parked. To be determined is if it is caused by poor install on the original windshield or a manufacturing issue. Because of this, there are many XC40’s requiring new windshields and creating a shortage in supply. Volvo is not admitting fault to this issue and the repair is falling onto the owners. Sad.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
How rare?

You say many Volvo owners. Where can we read about this as this is the first we have heard of on here in the recharge community.

How is this not covered by warrantee?

Did this happen to your xc40?

Reactions: 340driver

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
187 Posts
There is a problem occurring with the XC40 windshields fracturing even while parked. To be determined is if it is caused by poor install on the original windshield or a manufacturing issue. Because of this, there are many XC40’s requiring new windshields and creating a shortage in supply. Volvo is not admitting fault to this issue and the repair is falling onto the owners. Sad.
Don't believe we have heard of any windshield problems on this Recharge Forum.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
As pessimistic as I am on my XC40 and I have been reading this forum and Swedespeed a lot, I have not seen anyone post about mysterious cracked windshield. It could be hard to get just due to supply chain issues and that the current gen XC40 is not a huge install base yet for companies like satellite to have stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How rare?

You say many Volvo owners. Where can we read about this as this is the first we have heard of on here in the recharge community.

How is this not covered by warrantee?

Did this happen to your xc40?
Okay first there is a usually an extended wait for the replacement.
This is not the only Volvo forum, it is a occurrence happening and noted elsewhere.
As for warranty, good luck on getting a windshield replaced on warranty, as they are subject to
chipping, which leads eventually to cracking overtime. I own a 21 XC40 T5, which has no issue….so far.
The issue noted by other owners is how the cracks are appearing (while sitting still/overnight), the common
location of the cracks, and reoccurring two and three times. Now, once again I have no firsthand knowledge, as well I am just repeating what I have read. So as in most vehicle forums, most like to complain, few come to throw accolades. Perhaps those with the repeat issues of cracked windshields like to tailgate or drive on gravel or maybe there is a stress issue with them. Reality is though there is a supply issue, Covid related? Perhaps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts