• Thunder Gray

Votes: 8 36.4%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep bouncing back between these three colors. I was originally set on Thunder Grey, but Fusion Red and Denim Blue keep catching my eye. Problem is they all look great with the two-tone black c-pillar and roof. Which of these is the bigger head-turner?

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
158 Posts
Yes 😁

Joking aside. All those options are great.
Denim blue will show dirt/dust the least. It’s on the conservative side.
Red color cars get a lot of attention from cops. Having over 400 ponies you will be tempted to do stuff that is not technically appreciated by law enforcement.
Thunder grey has the same benefits of the denim blue but not as conservative. If you blackout all the chrome it will look even better.

All options are great, go with the one you can get the soonest and for the best price.

I picked up the denim blue and couldn’t be happier.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
12 Posts
I’ve had red and blue cars all my life and always thought I would keep to those two - but when we test drove they had the thunder grey in- initially I didn’t think I would like it but depending on the light it really changes colours… I’m really happy we went with it and we get a lot of compliments on the colour.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We went with Thunder Grey, but haven’t actually seen it in person yet. My wife’s last 6 cars have been grey, but she said she actually didn’t mind the denim blue(that was the color of the demo they had). I pushed her over the top for the Thunder Grey, so I hope she likes it. Haha.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
We lamented this decision when we ordered ours back in July as we found out our preferred Bursting Blue had been cancelled. We had a silver car prior, and I like bright colours, so we went with Fusion Red. I love it - especially the hint of orange in brighter light. I think it depends on whether you want to stand out a bit, as the Fusion Red definitely draws the looks with the red grille blanking plate! Good luck!
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I voted Fusion Red since Thunder Gray has a blue gray look to me and Denim Blue IMO is too dark. I wish they kept Bursting Blue. I was going to order a C40 in Fusion Red, but Fjord Blue grew on me and ordered it in that color.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
I voted Fusion Red since Thunder Gray has a blue gray look to me and Denim Blue IMO is too dark. I wish they kept Bursting Blue. I was going to order a C40 in Fusion Red, but Fjord Blue grew on me and ordered it in that color.
Yep...the Fjord Blue looks nice, but I assume it won’t be available on the XC40. I’ve only ever seen the C40 in pics in Fjord Blue. Will be nice to see some other colour pics as they ramp up production.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yep...the Fjord Blue looks nice, but I assume it won’t be available on the XC40. I’ve only ever seen the C40 in pics in Fjord Blue. Will be nice to see some other colour pics as they ramp up production.
Correct, C40 exclusive color it seems. Volvo needs to branch out with the BEVs and do more pop colors, their existing palette is just ho hum other than Red now. IMO, no offense.

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
148 Posts
Correct, C40 exclusive color it seems. Volvo needs to branch out with the BEVs and do more pop colors, their existing palette is just ho hum other than Red now. IMO, no offense.
Don’t look at the colors available to order on the Q4 then. The XC40 has a huge color list compared to the bland colors of the Q4(grey, white, black and blue….most exciting color available).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge Sage
24 Posts
I wish volvo still offered Midnight Blue - had a 99 S80 in that color - fabulous. Volvo does make some really good blue colors though. For my XC40, I went with Sage Green over the Fusion Red as those were the only 2 color choices that were available around me within 200 miles and i didn't want my car to be that noticeable I do not like the thunder grey, see it - looks like battleship grey. If you looking for a more matte color, i would go with Sage over thunder. But if you are looking for something to turn heads (i wasn't) go with Red - I really is a great color.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Don’t look at the colors available to order on the Q4 then. The XC40 has a huge color list compared to the bland colors of the Q4(grey, white, black and blue….most exciting color available).
That is what stopped me from ordering the Q4, abysmal color selection. If Audi offered Typhoon Gray with those 21 inch bronze wheels I would order that in a second. I decided to order the Aveo in Fjord Blue once I saw the Q4 color options.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge Sage
24 Posts
That is what stopped me from ordering the Q4, abysmal color selection. If Audi offered Typhoon Gray with those 21 inch bronze wheels I would order that in a second. I decided to order the Aveo in Fjord Blue once I saw the Q4 color options.
While I understand Fjord is a cyan blue color, it's too close to reminding me of the 'ford' ownership of Volvo ... a very dark period for Volvo. They should have not chosen that name for it - but it is a gorgeous color, at least on paper

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I had the same conundrum, blue, red or grey. I am so glad I went with Thunder Grey. The color is very elegant and changes depending on the light.
The issue with some of the Volvo cpl or is pictures and videos do not show them off well. Glacier Silver and Thunder Grey are examples of that. Glacier silver also looks white in too many situations IMO.

Reactions: lizzaymee

·
Registered
4 Posts
My XC40 is silver, but when I first saw it, it looked lavender, which is why I fell in love with it. Sometimes it looks white and sometimes gray and sometimes lavender, depending on the light.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts