Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my XC40 R-Design for a year now, and after 15,000 miles I still love the vehicle. What puzzles me is that they seem so rare. In the last year I've seen only one XC40 in this midwestern urban area of 3.5 million people. Just one. I saw another in Florida last January so that makes only two in the last year.

XC60's and 90's are all over the place.

Why are XC40's so rare?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my XC40 for a year (just had my one year service) and see an occasional XC40. I owned one of the first Porsche Macan's in 2015 and it took almost 2 years before I would see one on a regular basis. Now they are on every street! Give it some time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wondering the same thing. We're in the DC area, waiting for a custom order to come in next month. Not a true custom order, but rather we put a few hundred bucks down and the dealer let us reconfigure a unit that was already on order, and we get the right of first refusal when it arrives. The idea being that no config is really "better" than any other. It's all pretty random, as far as I can tell, and they know they're going to sell it quickly no matter the specs.

But here's the thing...that dealer and all the others around here all say the same thing. They can't keep them on the lot. And in fact, the few that we've test driven have indeed sold within 24 hours of us leaving. And we haven't seen a single one on the road. I think I've seen maybe one XC40 around here ever, and it was probably 7 months ago, before we started considering them.

A couple weeks ago, I had to go out to SF for work. I expected to see them everywhere. I saw two. TWO, in 7 days. One in Nob Hill and another in Marin.

Weird.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With models leaving the dealership as quickly as they come in, I would imagine that there are lots of buyers traveling out of their area to secure a model. More of these will be found on the road once there are preconfigured options available on lots.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think if we were to look at demographic information on who's buying these we might discover they don't drive too often, which could explain the lack of road presence.
In city and even suburban settings this is getting very common from what I realized. Volvo's demo is quite young last I checked.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've owned my XC40 R-Design for a year now, and after 15,000 miles I still love the vehicle. What puzzles me is that they seem so rare. In the last year I've seen only one XC40 in this midwestern urban area of 3.5 million people. Just one. I saw another in Florida last January so that makes only two in the last year.

Why are XC40's so rare?
Well the XC 60 and 90 have been around a lot longer (2014 and 2002) while the XC 40 was 2018. It is also in the rather upper part of the SUV pricing. But give it time. It is a handsome car that for sure will flourish if Volvo listens to its customer base and fix the minor problems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Volvo needs a broader dealership network. Its not often that I spot a Volvo dealer and when I do they're not easy to spot.
Such a shame because pop-up shops in malls and along busy downtown corridor's works well for Mercedes and Tesla, Volvo is missing out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The XC40 has met unprecedented demand and there are slim pickings to choose from and most dealers in my area. Even the models that come on order where the deal falls through, get scooped up in a matter of days.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The factory in Belgium just can't keep up with demand. The XC40 has been selling like hotcakes in other markets around the world and they just haven't gotten to the US orders yet. I remember reading around August last year the factory was talking about scrambling to hire people to replace the many workers who take off much of the month of August (European style vacation time), because they were already so far behind in orders. My local dealership told me they have a wait list a mile long for the XC40 but just haven't started receiving them yet. I feel blessed to have gotten mine last July just a few weeks after I ordered it. Since then I've only seen 4-5 here in Chicago and a couple others in other cities I've visited. I imagine it won't be long until we're seeing them all over.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is the best kind of problem to have for the release of a new model and its better that they don't rush through production and sacrifice quality control in the process. They may have to consider a secondary plant, especially with talks of all electric models joining the lineup within a year or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took ownership of my custom designed XC40 Nov 2018. I have not seem one XC40 in the Washington, DC metropolitan area which includes DC, VA and MD. Getting sooo many compliments on this vehicle.

I see a ton of XC60s and XC90s on the road tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering the same thing too. I’m from the DC area (Montgomery County MD) and haven’t seen many around these parts. It’s actually still a pretty rare car haha though I heard they’re selling many in Europe. I saw one yesterday and the driver and I did a nod as we passed by haha. Loved it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I haven't noticed much advertisements from Volvo.
That might have something to do with it. Back when I didn't care about owning a Volvo, I never knew about new models like the new flagship sedan, till I seen on in person. With other brands you find out before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Xc40's were being advertised like crazy back in October and November of last year in the SF Bay Area. Haven't seen one commercial since the first of the year. I guess there is no reason to advertise something that you don't have to sell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I suspect Volvo is wisely just feeding the European market for a while first. It gives them time to smooth out the kinks in this new model before they really start pushing it to the US market, which along with China is an important market for them. They'll have one chance to get their entry into this increasingly crucial segment right and, if they want to nail it, they're taking a wise approach.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know about you guys but when I picked up my XC40 2 weeks ago, the dealership lot was pretty much all XC40s. Today I was on my way to work and I saw a couple XC40s driving around South OC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can understand why Volvo is selling the XC40's so fast. I did my evaluation of all of the higher end small SUV's (Mercedes, Lexus, Lincoln, Caddy, Jaguar, etc.) and it narrowed down to the XC 40 and the Mercedes GLC Coupe. The final deciding factor is that the Volvo seats are more comfortable and the color choices are better. The XC40 has so many good features and does so many things right that it's very hard to pass up. And I've been to 2 Volvo dealerships in Northern California and both sell the XC 40's as fast as they can get them in. We've ordered the XC40 Inscription and will purchase through their overseas delivery program.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can understand why Volvo is selling the XC40's so fast. I did my evaluation of all of the higher end small SUV's (Mercedes, Lexus, Lincoln, Caddy, Jaguar, etc.) and it narrowed down to the XC 40 and the Mercedes GLC Coupe. The final deciding factor is that the Volvo seats are more comfortable and the color choices are better. The XC40 has so many good features and does so many things right that it's very hard to pass up. And I've been to 2 Volvo
dealerships in Northern California and both sell the XC 40's as fast as they can get them in. We've ordered the XC40 Inscription and will purchase through their overseas delivery program.
I feel ya. I HAD and traded in my Mercedes GLC Coupe because the xc40 R Design is taller, bigger cargo room, has more horsepower, Android Auto... a place and wireless charger for my phone, 360 camera plus all the quirks and features... I don't regret it one bit!!! You hear a lot more road noise but I am so happy! Good luck and enjoy when you get yours!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Why are XC40's so rare?
I live in Virginia and took possession of my XC40 Redesign in Nov 2018 (White with Black top). Have only seen 2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wondering the same thing. We're in the DC area, waiting for a custom order to come in next month. Not a true custom order, but rather we put a few hundred bucks down and the dealer let us reconfigure a unit that was already on order, and we get the right of first refusal when it arrives. The idea being that no config is really "better" than any other. It's all pretty random, as far as I can tell, and they know they're going to sell it quickly no matter the specs.

But here's the thing...that dealer and all the others around here all say the same thing. They can't keep them on the lot. And in fact, the few that we've test driven have indeed sold within 24 hours of us leaving. And we haven't seen a single one on the road. I think I've seen maybe one XC40 around here ever, and it was probably 7 months ago, before we started considering them.

A couple weeks ago, I had to go out to SF for work. I expected to see them everywhere. I saw two. TWO, in 7 days. One in Nob Hill and another in Marin.

Weird.
I live in VA. Placed my XC40 R-DESIGN ordered in May 2018 and took possession 6mos later

1 - 20 of 20 Posts