Volvo XC40 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 721 Posts
Yes, I have spoken to Volvo staff several times - Too many times, in fact! 😥
They keep trying to calm me down, but without any luck! 👺
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow because of a periodic TCAM module drop out.
I'll confront him with the vibration and tapping issues again.

When I was driving Kia, everything was a LOT more "premium", than what Volvo stuff is... 👎

Discussion starter · #102 ·
Honestly, I am at the point of selling my Volvo. I love the look and feel, but like I have said several times in this thread, my 2014 Chevy Volt rode smoother, our Kia Sorento rides better, and the VW ID.4 that I test drove rode significantly better! Volvo's customer service has been horrifyingly poor and incompetent. I was just reading a class action suit that alleges Volvo "concealed a defect plaguing the piston rings, pistons and/or piston heads in the 2.0L four-cylinder and 2.5L five-cylinder engines found in certain 2013-2016 vehicle models." I am starting to wonder if "the vibrations are a characteristic of this vehicle" declarations are a repeat of this past alleged behavior.

Honestly, I am at the point of selling my Volvo. I love the look and feel, but like I have said several times in this thread, my 2014 Chevy Volt rode smoother, our Kia Sorento rides better, and the VW ID.4 that I test drove rode significantly better! Volvo's customer service has been horrifyingly poor and incompetent. I was just reading a class action suit that alleges Volvo "concealed a defect plaguing the piston rings, pistons and/or piston heads in the 2.0L four-cylinder and 2.5L five-cylinder engines found in certain 2013-2016 vehicle models." I am starting to wonder if "the vibrations are a characteristic of this vehicle" declarations are a repeat of this past alleged behavior.
Sorry it’s so bad for you. Couldn’t blame you if you sold it. However your experience seems to be relatively rare. Most of us have silent care with no vibration from 0-110 mph (tested).

Annoyed at volvo for trying to sell you that this is okay … it’s not. Vibration is in my mind a bad sign that something is out of whack which I can easily imagine will shorten the life of what ever is causing it and the systems it affects.

Good luck selling or getting it fixed.

I was just reading a class action suit that alleges Volvo "concealed a defect plaguing the piston rings, pistons and/or piston heads in the 2.0L four-cylinder and 2.5L five-cylinder engines found in certain 2013-2016 vehicle models."
I'm pretty sure none of that is relevant to XC40 Recharge Pure Electric models - which is the subject of THIS ENTIRE FORUM. We don't have pistons here. Please stick to your own forum.

Discussion starter · #105 ·
I'm pretty sure none of that is relevant to XC40 Recharge Pure Electric models - which is the subject of THIS ENTIRE FORUM. We don't have pistons here. Please stick to your own forum.
Look, you obviously are just trolling. It was the context of the Volvo response that I was referring to. It also clearly states that I drive a xc40 Recharge. Thank you for the sarcasm and understanding of the context of the conversation.

Look, you obviously are just trolling. It was the context of the Volvo response that I was referring to. It also clearly states that I drive a xc40 Recharge. Thank you for the sarcasm and understanding of the context of the conversation.
Sorry - I read your post in isolation, without reading back thru the thread. I assumed you were mistakenly (or deliberately) posting in the wrong forum. While it's still not relevant to our EV's, I see now you were attempting to establish some sort of corporate "pattern of malfeasance" on Volvo's part. My apologies.

I have the same issue, for me it only occurs when I floor it, other than that it's fine.
I've also noticed that the car body leans backwards a lot (so the front kind of lifted up a lot) when I floor the pedal.
Maybe it's because the significant change in suspension geometry then resulted in the knocking sound from the driveshafts perhaps? no expert here, just guessing.

Will go to the dealer this weekend, I'll update anything new.

I don't think I have the knocking/tapping sound (haven't heard of anything the few times I floored the pedal), but I do have the steering wheel vibration above ~96 km/h (~60 mph). MY23 Twin Engine here

For people experiencing this issue and who had Volvo diagnose it as needing the drive shaft replacement, did it sound anything like this:

That's probably the worst it gets -- and it doesn't happen every time (for instance, a quick acceleration while already going at a good speed doesn't produce any sound). I'm going to take it in shortly but just haven't had the time.
Thank you!!! That’s exactly what I have been experiencing with mine. They told me that sound is “expected” when they listened to the mp3 that I sent them that I have of the exact same issue.
Service centre told me the fixed this noise by extending the drain hoses as per Volvo recommendation. If anything, the sound is now worse. To be honest, I'd accept this as a feature of the traction control had my MY 22 not behaved similar. The vibrations at 60+mph are different and not acceptable on any car, especially an EV.

Tinc el mateix problema, a mi només es produeix quan el piso, a part que està bé.
També m'he adonat que la carrosseria del cotxe s'inclina molt cap enrere (així que la part davantera s'aixeca molt) quan pis el pedal.
Potser és perquè el canvi significatiu en la geometria de la suspensió va donar lloc al so de cop dels eixos de transmissió? aquí no hi ha cap expert, només suposo.

Aniré al concessionari aquest cap de setmana, actualitzaré qualsevol cosa nova.
[/CITA]
A mi també em vibra entre 100 i 120 kmh.
noto que quan accelero fort el cotxe s'aixeca una mica del davant i s'enfonsa del darrere.

Today I communicated with Volvo customer service to follow up on the vibrations and tapping issue.

The reason for contacting Volvo was, that I read a Volvo friend's mail from a support employee, who wrote something like:
"Volvo's product follow-up has located the cause and is working on a solution which is close to being ready"
The employee that I had written with numerous times knew nothing about the issues I am having with the car, which in my world would mean, they are not logging anything and/or looking up on contact.
Volvo customer service is in my opinion extremely unprofessional and does NOT act like a premium brand... 👎 :confused:

You're right, buddy! (y) 😊
I even got this person as "my personal contact person", and this person acts like a total noob... 🤨🤥
I wonder if they are as bad as my salesman. So bad. So many ways. :(

Hope you get this all resolved sooner rather than later.

Reactions: XC40_dk
To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if this were a defect of the motor itself. I remember Kia/Hyundai had a similar problem on their EVs where customers experienced clicking/tapping noises, here's a random topic I found:

I can't find the original topic I saw in the past, but I remember some mechanical engineer saying it was a rookie's mistake that would only work in a perfectly fitted engine, else bending or whatever could occur. Meaning changes in tolerance could very well cause the issue.

I also remember Kia/Hyundai asked the techs to try to rotate the engine to fix the problem, so they could avoid swapping the motor, but then the problem would come up again eventually. The gearbox oil would also have metal powder due to the abrasions, and someone suggested to use a oil plug with a magnet to attract such metal dust instead of laying around in the oil.

It's worth mentioning the motors in the Volvo EV also have oil, and perhaps checking this oil for metals could hint towards this theory.

Currently, I'm also waiting for those of you who had the driveshafts replaced to tell if it fixed the issue

In another thread, they said they did and that it fixed it: Interesting noise at full acceleration

I believe I saw someone else on Facebook saying the same thing.
Thanks! 🙏🙃
It's the same user, JokoFly 👍

But the story didn't tell, if the drive shafts were replaced by the same/standard ones or a new, reinforced type...
AFAIK Volvo is about to mount a new type on the cars affected...

101 - 120 of 721 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.