Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Unfortunately, I am not able to drive the car. The Volvo engineers stated that removing the module that melted and driving without it could cause other systems to fail while driving. The service department stated that the new module has been received; however, Volvo has changed the connectors on the part, but kept the same part number. Unsure why that is (maybe because they know that melt?) but we are now waiting for the Volvo Genius Bar to tell the service department how to replace the module when the connectors do not match. My Recharge has been out-of-service since 9/28.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unfortunately, I am not able to drive the car. The Volvo engineers stated that removing the module that melted and driving without it could cause other systems to fail while driving. The service department stated that the new module has been received; however, Volvo has changed the connectors on the part, but kept the same part number. Unsure why that is (maybe because they know that melt?) but we are now waiting for the Volvo Genius Bar to tell the service department how to replace the module when the connectors do not match. My Recharge has been out-of-service since 9/28.
What a disaster! Are you within the scope of your state's lemon law now? Maybe getting Volvo to buy it back is the best way to proceed at this point. Assuming they can splice the different connectors together now, if it fails in the future, it could be a nightmare trying to repair it again.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What a disaster! Are you within the scope of your state's lemon law now? Maybe getting Volvo to buy it back is the best way to proceed at this point. Assuming they can splice the different connectors together now, if it fails in the future, it could be a nightmare trying to repair it again.
It is getting close to the 30 business days to be a candidate for the lemon laws in Indiana. I just talked to the dealership again and they are now away the connectors to install the sensor module. However, we are again in the same position of not knowing when it will be shipped and from the US or Sweden.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Update: I just received an email stating that the part that is needed to fix my Recharge will be shipping from Sweden on 11/7 and will take 10-12 business days to arrive. Based on that estimate, my car will be out of service until after Thanksgiving or possibly into December depending on the amount of time required to fix the vehicle and confirm that the issue is resolved. Now, the original issue was vibrations at highway speed. That became new brakes, rotors, and wheel weights in the wrong position following a previous "re-balancing" by the dealership / "Master Technician". While driving the vehicle in for service after the rotors arrived, found that the seat warmers had failed. Upon new seat warmers, found that heating switch had melted. Haha, fingers crossed I see my 2022 in 2023!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: I just received an email stating that the part that is needed to fix my Recharge will be shipping from Sweden on 11/7 and will take 10-12 business days to arrive. Based on that estimate, my car will be out of service until after Thanksgiving or possibly into December depending on the amount of time required to fix the vehicle and confirm that the issue is resolved. Now, the original issue was vibrations at highway speed. That became new brakes, rotors, and wheel weights in the wrong position following a previous "re-balancing" by the dealership / "Master Technician". While driving the vehicle in for service after the rotors arrived, found that the seat warmers had failed. Upon new seat warmers, found that heating switch had melted. Haha, fingers crossed I see my 2022 in 2023!
Hi, XC40 MY23 P6 owner from germany here 👋
Im also experiencing vibrations not only on the steering wheel, but the whole car. The doors and dashboard are also resonating a light vibration which makes this problem also audible...
We brought the car to the workshop and they looked up the Volvo instructions for issues of this kind. Those said to rebalance the wheels and then to reset the track to check those possible error sources.
But the problem still exists. So far, so OEM standard boring. Now the interesting bit:
Then the woman from the workshop said, the last advice in the repair journal from volvo said "If issue still occur the driveshafts could be a cause of the vibration do not replace any parts analysis is ongoing."
So for me this sounds like there will be a general fix for this issue, Volvo is still working on this.
From the posts I read on the web so far, especially from the US, it sounded like Volvo will not adress this issue and customers will have to live with it.
Im now thinking about reducing the lease rate and definetly annoy the **** out of Volvos customer care.

Let me know how it goes with your car cprinc00!
Bye

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi, XC40 MY23 P6 owner from germany here 👋
Im also experiencing vibrations not only on the steering wheel, but the whole car. The doors and dashboard are also resonating a light vibration which makes this problem also audible...
We brought the car to the workshop and they looked up the Volvo instructions for issues of this kind. Those said to rebalance the wheels and then to reset the track to check those possible error sources.
But the problem still exists. So far, so OEM standard boring. Now the interesting bit:
Then the woman from the workshop said, the last advice in the repair journal from volvo said "If issue still occur the driveshafts could be a cause of the vibration do not replace any parts analysis is ongoing."
So for me this sounds like there will be a general fix for this issue, Volvo is still working on this.
From the posts I read on the web so far, especially from the US, it sounded like Volvo will not adress this issue and customers will have to live with it.
Im now thinking about reducing the lease rate and definetly annoy the **** out of Volvos customer care.

Let me know how it goes with your car cprinc00!
Bye
DonKaio,
Thank you for sharing your experience! The service department is still waiting for my part to arrive. I’ve not been able to drive the vehicle since September. Hopefully, the new brakes and correctly re-balanced tires will resolve my issue. We will see though. The US seems to have adopted the position that “this is expected characteristics of the vehicle.”

I test drive a VW ID.4 and it drove much smoother than the XC40. No vibrations whatsoever. I asked the dealership to buy the XC40 off me so I could essentially trade-in the Recharge for the ID.4 and get out of this nonsense. However, the dealership stated that they sell for $48-49k in the used market currently and only offered me $42k for the vehicle. Obviously they are trying to take advantage of the situation because that was a lie as I immediately pulled up a Volvo certified used 2021 with more miles (same model) for 58k on their website. Volvo from beginning to end has shown me that they are not a reputable company that I will continue to do business with in the future. Besides that experience with the dealership, they have been ignoring my attempts to content support, contact the Volvo field representative about these issues, and are very condescending when they do respond. Specifically, I requested that they partner more closely with the service department at the nearby dealership to expedite the repair. They (Lisa at Volvo USA) responded with “Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose your mechanical issues remotely.”

I WILL NEVER BUY A VOLVO AGAIN.

I’ll update this post for those that are curious about what I get back.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
DonKaio,
… The US seems to have adopted the position that “this is expected characteristics of the vehicle.”
Sorry you are having such an awful experience.

When you say the US do you actually mean your local volvo dealership? And even then in relation to your car only?

Most of us have quiet gliding cars that are a joy to drive in their silence.

I am sorry they are not taking care of your car and would be very sad if I was in your position.

From the earlier writer it sounds like volvo is aware of this problem and is trying to find a solution which cannot be easy if it is rare. Hopefully they find a solution soon.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts

When you say the US do you actually mean your local volvo dealership? And even then in relation to your car only?

I am sorry they are not taking care of your car and would be very sad if I was in your position.

From the earlier writer it sounds like volvo is aware of this problem and is trying to find a solution which cannot be easy if it is rare. Hopefully they find a solution soon.

Good luck.
Hi,
No I meant US like united states 😅
For now I can live with the problem and I am actually quiet happy with the car. The problem is only audible and feelable around 100 kmh or 60mph.... When I turn up the music it's less annoying so Im coping for now. But I just contacted Volvo customer care to apply some pressure. They will get back to me next week, after reaching out to R&D from Volvo.
Let's wait and see....
Currently I'm really considering a part of the drive train or even the driveshaft itself to be the problem.... Anyways. I will keep you posted ✌

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

Good luck.
SeattleCat,

Thank you for the well wishes. Volvo USA is the corporate Volvo support. Napleton Volvo is the dealership / Service that I’m dealing with. When DonKaio referenced the “US”, I am assuming that it is referencing corporate Volvo USA. I am saying this because the audible vibrations and related sounds (like a piece of the car flapping in the wind that I have recorded) have been declared by a Volvo USA field tech AND Volvo engineers to be “expected driving characteristics.” I am quoting there because that was what was quoted to me by the Napleton Service department manager. I have driven multiple hybrid and EVs. The sounds and vibrations never occurred in any of those vehicles. That’s what ultimately concerns me.

I will continue to post updates as I get them. However, at this point, the service department still has not received my part. I’ve also been promised that I will be reimbursed for gas, but that has not happened either.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
SeattleCat,

Thank you for the well wishes. Volvo USA is the corporate Volvo support. Napleton Volvo is the dealership / Service that I’m dealing with. When DonKaio referenced the “US”, I am assuming that it is referencing corporate Volvo USA. I am saying this because the audible vibrations and related sounds (like a piece of the car flapping in the wind that I have recorded) have been declared by a Volvo USA field tech AND Volvo engineers to be “expected driving characteristics.” I am quoting there because that was what was quoted to me by the Napleton Service department manager. I have driven multiple hybrid and EVs. The sounds and vibrations never occurred in any of those vehicles. That’s what ultimately concerns me.

I will continue to post updates as I get them. However, at this point, the service department still has not received my part. I’ve also been promised that I will be reimbursed for gas, but that has not happened either.
Wow expected driving characteristics …that’s wrong :(

Did you try a demo model to see if it makes the same noise? Perhaps a nearby volvo board member could come listen to your car and you listen to theirs.

I know mine makes a flappy sound when it’s raining sometimes. There is a fix which I need to get done at some point.

I do wish volvo service was consistent :(

Good luck in getting It resolved.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Wow expected driving characteristics …that’s wrong :(

Did you try a demo model to see if it makes the same noise? Perhaps a nearby volvo board member could come listen to your car and you listen to theirs.

I know mine makes a flappy sound when it’s raining sometimes. There is a fix which I need to get done at some point.

I do wish volvo service was consistent :(

Good luck in getting It resolved.
SeattleCat,

That is usually when my car makes the flapping sound too! Also, it will make the flapping sound in very windy days. What is the fix?? Volvo service said that they didn’t find anything related to that. However, the last time I rode with their “master technician” their diagnostics involved flooring the accelerator between stop lights (35mph zone) to see if they could duplicate the issue.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Oh that’s the flappy sound of the water drainage tube Messing up and hitting an internal harmonic of water interacting with the air pressure due to velocity.

Let me tab and see if I can find the fix on here.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Found it.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Found it.

Thank you!!! That’s exactly what I have been experiencing with mine. They told me that sound is “expected” when they listened to the mp3 that I sent them that I have of the exact same issue.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Thank you!!! That’s exactly what I have been experiencing with mine. They told me that sound is “expected” when they listened to the mp3 that I sent them that I have of the exact same issue.
I suppose it is expected before they fix it!!!

Let us know when they fix it. I need to do the same :)

Good luck.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts