Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Pure Elec. Ultimate
142 Posts
Are you able to video how bad the shaking is? Like in my mind...I'm imagining you driving down the freeway, and if you put a cup of water on the dash it would be shaking the water out everywhere.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Correct. I am done with this vehicle and tired of being reminded of what a shitty investment I made with my money. It's gone as soon as possible, and I will never own another Chinese product again. made in China, should have stayed in China. The stereotypes are 100%. It is NOT quality, it is NOT luxury, and it is NOT something I will ever forget having been gullible enough to try.
Sadly your not alone in your feelings toward this car…

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
267 Posts
No. I've had enough of EV's. I am going back to a proper ICE car. EV isn't ready for prime time. It's rough, noisy, and crude, and while it's very quick, there is more to a car than just "ItS FaSt!". I prefer smooth, refined, and luxurious. This new **** ain't it.
I'm very sorry that you've had such a bad experience with your car and with your useless dealer, but understand that your experience isn't typical of these models or EVs in general, there's definitely something defective on your car. I don't think I'm reaching to say the vast majority of us here have found our cars to be very smooth and vibration-free, moreso than most ICE cars, even with the original tires. I frequently drive my C40 at 80 mph and have had it up to 100 a few times (briefly) and haven't experienced anything at all like what you're describing. So it may be an issue with Volvo's QC or with your dealer's eagerness to fix problems, but it's not inherent to the model or to electric technology.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Correct. I am done with this vehicle and tired of being reminded of what a shitty investment I made with my money. It's gone as soon as possible, and I will never own another Chinese product again. made in China, should have stayed in China. The stereotypes are 100%. It is NOT quality, it is NOT luxury, and it is NOT something I will ever forget having been gullible enough to try.
LOL. You have an iPhone or a Samsung?! Most of LV, Prada, etc are made in China now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No. I've had enough of EV's. I am going back to a proper ICE car. EV isn't ready for prime time. It's rough, noisy, and crude, and while it's very quick, there is more to a car than just "ItS FaSt!". I prefer smooth, refined, and luxurious. This new **** ain't it.
You need to spend over $75K for an Audi e-tron, Porsche Taycan, Jaguar I-PACE, BMW iX, MB EQS, etc. Alas, you went for a low-rung C40.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've taken mine to 110mph and it's soft as a feather all the way up. Are you sure you're not getting fooled by the lane keeping aid that shakes the steering wheel when you drift out of your lane ?
I am sure it is not the lane keeping assistant. I was able to record audio of what seems to align with the vibration issue. The sound begins at about the same speed that the vibration does, but unlike the vibration, is intermittent. Now, the vibrating is not as bad as the other person stated. However, I have a 2014 Chevy Volt (117k miles) that drives smoother at highway speeds. Just for clarification, yes, I checked the exterior of the car as well as the tires. None are flat. They are all the same pressure. There was nothing loose or dragging. The vibration issue is replicable and gets worse when the vehicle is at 60mph or more and under strain, as in going uphill and maintaining or minimal acceleration.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not sure if it is applicable to the XC40/C40 Recharge, but my brother just took his XC60 T6 into a dealer to get a vibration issue looked at. He was getting vibrations when reaching around 65 MPH where he says the whole car is shaking. The dealer checked it out and said it's due to sound insulation foam in the tires detaching and suggested that he have the foam ripped out at a tire shop. He took it to Sam's Club and they did that for free and that apparently took care of the vibration issue. Again, I'm not sure if it's the same issue here, and the guy in the C40 forum changed tires without fixing the issue, so who knows. But it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm not sure if it is applicable to the XC40/C40 Recharge, but my brother just took his XC60 T6 into a dealer to get a vibration issue looked at. He was getting vibrations when reaching around 65 MPH where he says the whole car is shaking. The dealer checked it out and said it's due to sound insulation foam in the tires detaching and suggested that he have the foam ripped out at a tire shop. He took it to Sam's Club and they did that for free and that apparently took care of the vibration issue. Again, I'm not sure if it's the same issue here, and the guy in the C40 forum changed tires without fixing the issue, so who knows. But it might be worth looking into.
Thank you for sharing. That is one of the things that I was wondering. However, the weird thing too is that if I am going uphill between 57-65mph (again duplicated today) and I press down on the accelerator to maintain speed, not accelerate, I can feel a more significant vibration in the body and steering wheel. Along with the individual in the C40 forum, I am worried that it is the electric motor. I have documented as much as I can. I’ve opened a case with Volvo. Currently the dealership has classified it as a warped rotor. However, if the brake pad was catching the rotor and causing the vibrations, it would have telltale symptoms that aren’t present. I’ve had that occur in other cars in which I’ve replaced the brakes myself. When driving that car, it did not resemble these issues. The only previous experience that I have had like this was an older XC90 that had a loose axel. That’s why this is concerning me so much.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Thank you for sharing. That is one of the things that I was wondering. However, the weird thing too is that if I am going uphill between 57-65mph (again duplicated today) and I press down on the accelerator to maintain speed, not accelerate, I can feel a more significant vibration in the body and steering wheel. Along with the individual in the C40 forum, I am worried that it is the electric motor. I have documented as much as I can. I’ve opened a case with Volvo. Currently the dealership has classified it as a warped rotor. However, if the brake pad was catching the rotor and causing the vibrations, it would have telltale symptoms that aren’t present. I’ve had that occur in other cars in which I’ve replaced the brakes myself. When driving that car, it did not resemble these issues. The only previous experience that I have had like this was an older XC90 that had a loose axel. That’s why this is concerning me so much.
How about the vibration at the same speed coasting down hill in neutral?

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
How about the vibration at the same speed coasting down hill in neutral?
At this point, I’m going to leave further diagnostics to Volvo’s service techs. I was hoping that another individual here may have had a similar issue. Unfortunately, even if I diagnosed the issue, the technician would still have to agree and replace the part(s). Thank you all. I’ll update this as I have more info. However, I don’t even have a date for when I get my brakes replaced at this point and I was there over a week ago now. I couldn’t imagine what it would take for a more specialized part.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts