Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have leased and/or owned three EV's in ten years and after a disappointing test drive in a Polestar 2, I decided to try out the XC40 Recharge. Upon entering the vehicle and getting my seats and mirrors adjusted, the salesperson attempted to turn on the A/C to no avail. No fan, no air, nothing. He instructed me to engage the brake and put the vehicle in drive. Nothing happened. Repeated attempts yielded the same result. Nothing. He indicated he may have the wrong key and rushed into the dealership to retrieve another. This time the vehicle turned on, but the A/C yielded no air of any kind, cool or otherwise. Ready to begin the test drive, I maneuvered the vehicle out of the parking lot and upon entering traffic the car rapidly accelerated to 24 miles per hour and decided it would go no faster. We pulled into a nearby neighborhood and rebooted the system twice. Back on the road, same scenario. 24 miles per hour and that was all she wrote. We limped back to the dealership and an embarrassed sales person apologized and asked me to give them another chance once they sorted out the problems. I think I'll pass.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
It was in hipping mode as evidenced by the top
Speed cap and lack of ac.

Your sales person had a big fail. :(

a shame as I live driving my car.
Good luck

· Registered
549 Posts
As others said— this was just the stupidity of your dealership and NOT a reflection of the car itself. It was still in “delivery mode” as it arrives to the dealer from the factory. It will require the service center take it out of that mode; Tesla vehicles have the exact same mode, and a big cling sticker on the display to remind the techs to take the car out of this mode before putting it on the lot.

I’d suggest you either find a better dealer, or give this dealer a second chance, once they get the car correctly “prep’d” for test drives. You’ll find the HVAC works great, and the car is vERY fast (and, goes WAY faster than 24 haha)

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the assist, guys! I've not heard back from the salesman, so I guess they're still trying to figure it out or he's irreparably embarrassed by the epic fail. Either way, as you suggested, I'll find another dealership. At least it beats my first inquiry about a Nissan Leaf in 2012 when every salesman got up and walked out of the showroom rather than attempt to sell one. In many ways, times haven't changed very much.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
You are not the only person who has had a delivery mode col o experience. There was a post in here of someone who got handed their car in that mode …

A bit disappointing to have a 24 mph car :)

If the salesperson responded to his failure well you might even go with them. Way better he failed and rolled than failed and got cranky or bsed :) plus maybe a cash incentive to say sorry :)

Good luck

· Registered
9 Posts
You are not the only person who has had a delivery mode col o experience. There was a post in here of someone who got handed their car in that mode …

A bit disappointing to have a 24 mph car :)

If the salesperson responded to his failure well you might even go with them. Way better he failed and rolled than failed and got cranky or bsed :) plus maybe a cash incentive to say sorry :)

Good luck
Heya SeattleCat - new member here who is awaiting delivery of an XC40 Recharge. We will take delivery from VolvoCars Seattle.

Seeing your posts makes me think you have some experience with the techs at local Seattle Volvo shops. Anyone in particular that you would recommend as knowledgeable? I have already run into some mixed results trying to squeeze accurate information from the sales team and parts departments. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Sales team is aweful there. I would not ask them to either get me a coffee or explain why it is engine oil not coffee they got.

I have dealt with Brian in service for a decade. He has always been honest and knowledgeable. The head of service actually went to bat for me vs the sales team!!

I only got the car from there to support the service team.

What’s been going wrong with your car? I have yet to have a need to do anything service wise with the P8 other than a smashed window.

· Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reference for Brian. No real issues yet, just looking for a solid contact in service. I was unable to get a strait answer on the tire size, wheel size, asymmetry questions I had about converting to snow tires and considering 19 --> 18" rims. Thanks!

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Thanks for the reference for Brian. No real issues yet, just looking for a solid contact in service. I was unable to get a strait answer on the tire size, wheel size, asymmetry questions I had about converting to snow tires and considering 19 --> 18" rims. Thanks!
If you find somewhere big open Icey or muddy (and safe) to test out our traction near Seattle let me know :)

Would love to find a snowy big deserted car park :)

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absent any contact from the salesperson, I reached out this evening. He conceded the dealership's master technician could not determine the origin of the problem and had to wait until Monday to consult Volvo corporate. Volvo recommended a "drivetrain reset," which I assume to be a euphemism for taking the vehicle out of shipping mode. You can't make this stuff up.

· Registered
549 Posts
FYI should you want reference points–

THIS THREAD from 7 months ago talks about the same “Delivery Mode” issue.

And ANOTHER THREAD HERE from just a month ago (“Transport Mode” also named?)

Hopefully the dealer can figure it out because once the car is taken out of this shipping/transport/delivery mode, it’s such a fun to drive vehicle.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
FYI should you want reference points–

THIS THREAD from 7 months ago talks about the same “Delivery Mode” issue.

And ANOTHER THREAD HERE from just a month ago (“Transport Mode” also named?)

Hopefully the dealer can figure it out because once the car is taken out of this shipping/transport/delivery mode, it’s such a fun to drive vehicle.
Thanks for looking them up and linking. New I had seen this before.

Cheers

· Premium Member
154 Posts
We limped back to the dealership and an embarrassed sales person apologized and asked me to give them another chance once they sorted out the problems...
I had a similar disappointing experience earlier this month when I went to my local Volvo dealer in Scottsdale AZ to test drive a new XC40. I quickly discovered that salesman knew far less about the car than I did. For example, he claimed the infotainment system included Apple Car Play. Then, after I disagreed and after he made several futile attempts to find it, he had to admit Apple Cap Play was not included. Amazingly, he also claimed the XC40 recharge is lighter than the ICE version, but after I expressed doubt and after he consulted his computer, he sheepishly conceded the recharge is much heavier. Our test drive experience was equally disturbing. After exiting the dealer lot on our test drive (with me behind the wheel) he told me “don’t be afraid to get on it” but was completely flummoxed when the car topped out at 24 mph. He told me to pull over and tried changing several settings to no avail. Finally, my wife had to explain to him that the car was probably still in shipping mode. Now this was not an inexperienced Volvo salesperson and the dealer is not a backwoods operation, so I’m left with the impression that, at least in the US, Volvo has not done a good job getting the dealerships up to speed with their EV rollout. While in theory I love the Fusion Red C40 we have ordered, I confess I’m increasingly concerned that neither the vehicle nor the Volvo support infrastructure is quite ready for prime time. Hopefully this will change by the time our car is delivered in April because I really do want to love the car and the brand the same way I have loved the BMW brand and the many wonderful, problem-free BMW cars (and motorcycles) I have owned for the last fifty years.

· Registered
784 Posts
I had a similar disappointing experience earlier this month when I went to my local Volvo dealer in Scottsdale AZ to test drive a new XC40. I quickly discovered that salesman knew far less about the car than I did. For example, he claimed the infotainment system included Apple Car Play. Then, after I disagreed and after he made several futile attempts to find it, he had to admit Apple Cap Play was not included. Amazingly, he also claimed the XC40 recharge is lighter than the ICE version, but after I expressed doubt and after he consulted his computer, he sheepishly conceded the recharge is much heavier. Our test drive experience was equally disturbing. After exiting the dealer lot on our test drive (with me behind the wheel) he told me “don’t be afraid to get on it” but was completely flummoxed when the car topped out at 24 mph. He told me to pull over and tried changing several settings to no avail. Finally, my wife had to explain to him that the car was probably still in shipping mode. Now this was not an inexperienced Volvo salesperson and the dealer is not a backwoods operation, so I’m left with the impression that, at least in the US, Volvo has not done a good job getting the dealerships up to speed with their EV rollout. While in theory I love the Fusion Red C40 we have ordered, I confess I’m increasingly concerned that neither the vehicle nor the Volvo support infrastructure is quite ready for prime time. Hopefully this will change by the time our car is delivered in April because I really do want to love the car and the brand the same way I have loved the BMW brand and the many wonderful, problem-free BMW cars (and motorcycles) I have owned for the last fifty years.
I would say you just had a poor salesperson - and also the dealership had not properly pre-delivered the car for test drives - maybe have to try another dealer as we have seen many customers on the forum have great experiences with dealers and other not so great - so it really depends on the dealership and its management and training for staff.

· Registered
14 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the full let down of the dreaded Transport Mode. It was fixed within the hour and I got to take my baby home. But . . . you can imagine my disappointment when I floored it to . . . . 24 mph. :confused:

It does WAY more than 0 to 24 mph. The air conditioner / heater sometimes take a little bit to start. But I imagine that it is better than a gas engine that is just starting up in cold weather. The heat element probably needs to ramp up.

The cool thing is that I can "start" the car in a closed garage without asphyxiating. There is a learning curve as I get used to the new electric way to drive.

Regarding the dealers; I was not angry with them. They have not delivered a lot of these, but the salesperson takes the demo car home each night and gets used to driving it. He provided lots of real-world tips and tricks to me. He even told me about an instance when a person on a bicycle (dark clothing and at dusk) came out of nowhere. The car swerved around the cyclist before the salesperson even knew what was happening. LOVE it!

Hope you are enjoying your car now.

· Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
320 Posts
We limped back to the dealership and an embarrassed sales person apologized and asked me to give them another chance once they sorted out the problems. I think I'll pass.
I had a brand new Saab break down on me on a test drive once. It just completely lost all electric power. I bought a Mercedes instead and always regretted it. Should have realized it was just a fluke and went with the car I really wanted. I suspect you want an XC40 or you wouldn’t be on here posting about it ;) and I bet your salesman really would like that second chance.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I had a brand new Saab break down on me on a test drive once. It just completely lost all electric power. I bought a Mercedes instead and always regretted it. Should have realized it was just a fluke and went with the car I really wanted. I suspect you want an XC40 or you wouldn’t be on here posting about it ;) and I bet your salesman really would like that second chance.
Heart Saab. RIP

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the full let down of the dreaded Transport Mode. It was fixed within the hour and I got to take my baby home. But . . . you can imagine my disappointment when I floored it to . . . . 24 mph. :confused:

It does WAY more than 0 to 24 mph. The air conditioner / heater sometimes take a little bit to start. But I imagine that it is better than a gas engine that is just starting up in cold weather. The heat element probably needs to ramp up.

The cool thing is that I can "start" the car in a closed garage without asphyxiating. There is a learning curve as I get used to the new electric way to drive.

Regarding the dealers; I was not angry with them. They have not delivered a lot of these, but the salesperson takes the demo car home each night and gets used to driving it. He provided lots of real-world tips and tricks to me. He even told me about an instance when a person on a bicycle (dark clothing and at dusk) came out of nowhere. The car swerved around the cyclist before the salesperson even knew what was happening. LOVE it!

Hope you are enjoying your car now.
Glad they got you out of transport mode. Glad your enjoying the car. Did you get the heated seats and more importantly steering wheel?

Don’t you love the car not trying to kill you!! Every time spouse1 loads up the dog I do not have to switch off so the car does not get full of fumes when the back is open. I dread either a loaner or rental ice :( loaners need to be P8s!!! And rentals.

Enjoy the swooshing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.