Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a screw in the side wall of a rear tire last Monday, no tire shops in town had the tire I needed in stock, got it changed today. Wondering if I should buy a spare for the front/back so I don’t have to wait a week if this happens again. Does anyone keep a spare in the car or have a spare at home to change?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Find my thread about this. Had similar situation and had to put a different model tires on rear axle since the OE tires were back ordered for a few weeks. I complained to Pirelli and they sent a pair of OE tires that Discount Tire put on. While not attractive I am looking forward to the Michelin airless tires (not-run flats). The OE tires seems to be more available now, but it is a bad designed to rely on a very unique set of tire sizes on a car they hope will appeal to mainstream buyers. I keep a plug kit and compressor in the space under the rear cargo. I am not aware of any EV that has a spare, although the ID/4 forums have found a spare that can work for their car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Find my thread about this. Had similar situation and had to put a different model tires on rear axle since the OE tires were back ordered for a few weeks. I complained to Pirelli and they sent a pair of OE tires that Discount Tire put on. While not attractive I am looking forward to the Michelin airless tires (not-run flats). The OE tires seems to be more available now, but it is a bad designed to rely on a very unique set of tire sizes on a car they hope will appeal to mainstream buyers. I keep a plug kit and compressor in the space under the rear cargo. I am not aware of any EV that has a spare, although the ID/4 forums have found a spare that can work for their car.
If you buy a Rivian, you can order a spare, but it’s not included from the factory. That is the only EV I know of where you can get a spare, but that’s probably due to it being an “adventure” vehicle.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If you buy a Rivian, you can order a spare, but it’s not included from the factory. That is the only EV I know of where you can get a spare, but that’s probably due to it being an “adventure” vehicle.
I wish they would all offer it. I also get the staggered tires, but really? Will the average buyer see a difference?

·
Registered
2021 P8
52 Posts
Not worried about no spare. that's what insurance with roadside and rental coverage is for. I've been lucky in 30 years of car ownership to have never needed one. It would just be dead weight to drive around taking up space in my view.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Not worried about no spare. that's what insurance with roadside and rental coverage is for. I've been lucky in 30 years of car ownership to have never needed one. It would just be dead weight to drive around taking up space in my view.
I said that then first car I owned without a spare (P8) had a screw in side wall in first 30 days.

Reactions: arteitle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joined specifically to ask questions about this issue. I live in the pacific northwest and my xc40 recharge has a screw in the sidewall and I have been searching for the last couple weeks for a matching Pirelli tire to the OEM Scorpion Zero All Seasons that are on the vehicle now. Best case... 3 weeks to get a new tire... worst case sometime 1Q 2022 (or beyond)... dealership or elsewhere No one has the 235/45R20 fronts and 255/40R20 rears as matching set new or used! This is simply the worst electric vehicle I have owned... 3 month delivery delay for software updates at the seaport, half a dozen service visits for a failing (ultimately replaced) IHU, now no replacement tires available anywhere... all for a car that I've owned for just 6 months. Due to the the electronic all-wheel drive, mismatched tires would void the powertrain warranty.

Had I known tires were going to be an issue on top of everything else, I would have bought a full set of tires for spares. Is anyone else having this challenge?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Tirerack does not have any? Also reach out to Pirelli direct. After some pushing Pirelli helped means for the tires for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tirerack does not have any? Also reach out to Pirelli direct. After some pushing Pirelli helped means for the tires for me.
No one has the Scorpion Zero ELECT All Seasons. I can check Pirelli direct to see what they say... but the website tends to refer me to "dealers" out of state.. called a couple of the dealers in SoCal and Texas, all of them say they have to special order the tires. Tirerack doesn't have the OEM tires in stock, but does have matching Michelin summer tires... I'm near desperate to get those if I have to wait till March 2022 (or longer) for all seasons... its been low to mid 40s out here so far, so summer tires will probably not perform very well.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
124 Posts
Consider the hundreds of thousands of Tesla's sold since day 1. No spares for any of them. Yes, there are a few people who buy a spare and even carry it in the rear of the car. I on my Tesla have s plug-repair kit and a 12v compressor and the inside-tire goop that gets pump into it. Tesla Road Service will come and change the tire too---usually. Not to mention I also have AAA.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
No one has the Scorpion Zero ELECT All Seasons. I can check Pirelli direct to see what they say... but the website tends to refer me to "dealers" out of state.. called a couple of the dealers in SoCal and Texas, all of them say they have to special order the tires. Tirerack doesn't have the OEM tires in stock, but does have matching Michelin summer tires... I'm near desperate to get those if I have to wait till March 2022 (or longer) for all seasons... its been low to mid 40s out here so far, so summer tires will probably not perform very well.
Look up the Pirelli Cinturato P7 (not the Plus) it is a very close spec tire. I ran a pair on the rear for over 3 weeks while Pirelli got me my OE tires. I honestly think the P7 tire was a quieter nicer riding tire and had Pirelli not offered to make sure I had a matched set I would have left them in the rear.

[email protected]

Sent to a private message as well.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Not sure how cold it gets where you are, but my old Infiniti had summer tires back in the day and I ran them all winter in GA where temps could get into the 20s at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Due to the the electronic all-wheel drive, mismatched tires would void the powertrain warranty.
Is this written in the warranty? I note that the standard front and rear tires have almost identical diameters according to data at the Tire Rack (28.0-28.3"). This is widespread practice for vehicles with differing tire sizes front-rear that are equipped with spare tires. The front and rear wheels have no physical connection on this car, unlike ICE AWD vehicles that have a drive shaft connecting front and rear axles.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The only cars I saw where AWD was tied to tire size was the Audi Quattro (non-torque vectoring version) where they differences in diameters needed to be like 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used a product called ride-on in my last car a Mitsubishi Outlander phev
It’s safe for TPMS, it balances the tire and provides a coating inside the tires that seals punctures.
No, it doesn’t work on sidewalls or major tears, only punctures in the road contact area.
I bought some for my XC40 recharge but haven’t installed it as yet.
It’s not like the latex milky liquid that comes in the emergency repair kit, it’s very thick an stays on the inside tread area.
I also carry a plug kit just in case.
Check out the online reviews of Ride-on.
Most major tire manufacturers are offering a similar product, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli etc
These are not run flat tires, they are considered self sealing tires.
Dave
2021 XC40 recharge sage green

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
Is this written in the warranty? I note that the standard front and rear tires have almost identical diameters according to data at the Tire Rack (28.0-28.3"). This is widespread practice for vehicles with differing tire sizes front-rear that are equipped with spare tires. The front and rear wheels have no physical connection on this car, unlike ICE AWD vehicles that have a drive shaft connecting front and rear axles.
I had a BMW X3 with different front and rear size wheels and tires. A dealer rotated them the wrong way and after that we had nothing but issues with the drive train, multiple transfer cases, etc. Everything was covered by the warranty.
We also tried getting a set of winter wheels/tires that caused the same issues and we had to replace a bunch of parts again. All covered by the warranty.
Dealer never gave us a hard time and warranty was never voided.
Not sure how Volvo is on this case. Would not hurt calling and finding out, have them respond in writing if it will void or not the warranty.

Stoopid litigous way of doing business. 🤦‍♂️

1 - 19 of 19 Posts