Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a battle with the dealership over what cable should have come with the car. They provided me with a standard 110v 5-15P and a 220v 6-20P. However, my garage is EV-ready with a 14-50P outlet. It seems Volvo sells both 220v options but all of the cars the dealer ordered were equipped with the 6-20P attachment. This seems like a cheap way out.

Which cable did your car ship with? Am I wrong for expecting them to replace the provided cable with the one that matches my outlet and offers superior charging?

Normally this wouldn't be a deal breaker, but the ChargePoint promotion lag time is putting me in an untenable situation.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 - Thunder Gray
34 Posts
The cable I got is both, same as yours. Interchangeable from 120v to 240 volts. I plug the 240v adapter connector to the Nema 14-50 outlet. I am still waiting for the ChargePoint to arrived provided by Volvo promotion. It is backordered.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
83 Posts
Our XC40 in PA was delivered in late June with the charging cord and 2 interchangeable ends: 1 for standard 115v outlet and 1 for 240v 50 amp 4 prong (RV type connector). Seems like they owe you the 14-50 end. Someone probably put the wrong one in the plastic bag. If you have problems with dealer, contact Customer Relations at Volvo. They are pretty good at getting involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cable I got is both, same as yours. Interchangeable from 120v to 240 volts. I plug the 240v adapter connector to the Nema 14-50 outlet. I am still waiting for the ChargePoint to arrived provided by Volvo promotion. It is backordered.
Thank you for the reply and sharing your experience. How did you apply for the ChargePoint wall box? Did they hand you the form with the QR code or handle it themselves? Has there been any communication? How long has it been?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our XC40 in PA was delivered in late June with the charging cord and 2 interchangeable ends: 1 for standard 115v outlet and 1 for 240v 50 amp 4 prong (RV type connector). Seems like they owe you the 14-50 end. Someone probably put the wrong one in the plastic bag. If you have problems with dealer, contact Customer Relations at Volvo. They are pretty good at getting involved.
Thanks for verifying and sharing the tip on Customer Relations!

·
Registered
170 Posts
1- You should have a NEMA 14-50 cable "end" (for your 240v leg); as 2x others noted above, what you received is not standard, nor correct. Based on what the rest of us have received, and the whole fact that the cable included w/car is 40A capable, I'd say they owe you a correct/swap out there.

2- ChargePoint's relationship with Volvo is "3rd party" so keep that in mind. With that said, Volvo did not pre-purchase any sort of hardware, they just negotiated a deal where they get invoiced for the hardware. Even BEFORE the XC40 P8 came out, ChargePoint was WAY back-ordered on their wall box units. While it is nice of them to be giving customers something for free (at Volvo's expense), the fact is this back-order pre-dates the release of our model car.

To that end... I'd personally suggest you take the credit, and use that for trips/fast charging, as there are other wall box units that are the same if not better quality, more feature packed, and more importantly, FAR more readily available. My two cents.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 - Thunder Gray
34 Posts
Thank you for the reply and sharing your experience. How did you apply for the ChargePoint wall box? Did they hand you the form with the QR code or handle it themselves? Has there been any communication? How long has it been?
The dealer handled it, they ask if we want the $500 credit for charging at a ChargePoint station or the Home charger. We opted for the home charger. The dealer said we will received an email from ChargePoint with the coupon code. After 3 weeks, we got the code and completed the required info e.g. address, Nema 14-50 plug or the 6-50 plug option. We got an automated email response that the product is backordered and we will get another email when it ships. Wait is about 4 to 5 weeks.:LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts