Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was so excited for pick-up day of our 2021 xc40 recharge in thundercloud grey-blue yesterday, we traded in our xc60 hybrid to go full EV without loosing much (drives the same, don’t notice 3” less cargo space and parking is easier)… literally drove it off the lot 10 feet and kept feeling and hearing this clunking sound, got louder with speed and when I took foot off accelerator even louder! Turned the corner and right back to the dealership where the head mechanic drove it the length of the parking lot and said “not safe to drive”! No one can look at it until Monday now and we waited 1.5hrs to get a crappy loaner (my tall husband’s head brushes the roof!) - and now I’m worried DIDN’T THEY CHECK IT before we picked it up? Is it that easy to mess up this new car?! It has 3000kms on it (it was an order they didn’t fulfill and used for test drives). Is this common??
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Did they forget to remove the break sheaths?I remember someone had that problem before.

Sorry this happened to you :(

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they forget to remove the break sheaths?I remember someone had that problem before.

Sorry this happened to you :(
Hmmm - it definitely felt like there was something stuck in the wheels. I sort of thought they would look and find a cloth left there or something from when they did the ceramic coating.. but the head mechanic would likely have been able to fix it quickly if that was it, no? Instead of making me leave it and providing a loaner? He was literally walking out though, to go home…
The car has been driven though (we did our test earlier this week). Would they put brake sheaths back on it after that?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Aah did not realize you had already had the car. Then no they would be gone.

Maybe it had washed and left wheel lock syndrome. There are many threads and messages on that on here from he Keith who has been plagued with that problem. Did you record the sounds it made? Always good to record sounds. Take videos and pictures.

Good luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Was so excited for pick-up day of our 2021 xc40 recharge in thundercloud grey-blue yesterday, we traded in our xc60 hybrid to go full EV without loosing much (drives the same, don’t notice 3” less cargo space and parking is easier)… literally drove it off the lot 10 feet and kept feeling and hearing this clunking sound, got louder with speed and when I took foot off accelerator even louder! Turned the corner and right back to the dealership where the head mechanic drove it the length of the parking lot and said “not safe to drive”! No one can look at it until Monday now and we waited 1.5hrs to get a crappy loaner (my tall husband’s head brushes the roof!) - and now I’m worried DIDN’T THEY CHECK IT before we picked it up? Is it that easy to mess up this new car?! It has 3000kms on it (it was an order they didn’t fulfill and used for test drives). Is this common?? View attachment 1352 View attachment 1352
Hi - if it has 3000 kms on it - it would have been performing well during that time - could be a brake rotor rusting issue and that the pads stuck because it had been sitting for a while - I am sure dealer will take care of it. I see you got it from the Volvo dealer in Toronto - we got ours in April from the dealer in Richmond Hill - Volvo Villa - it is a AWIN owned dealership as well - we had a couple of warranty issues and dealer service was excellent - and since your dealers is an AWIN owned facility as well I am sure they will look after it - likely not too serious of an issue. If Volvo of Toronto does give you excellent service - Rat Ramos the service manager at Volvo Villa (Steeles & Younge) will give you great service. the service advisor we worked with there was Len.
Our car has been great a few software bug issues - but Volvo will take care of those in time. Make sure they give you the latest software update from August - you can see the information on the Volvo Canada online page - just click of Support for owners and you can follow the items re software updates and info on the 2021 Recharge model on what additional features will be coming in the future. You will be sure to enjoy the car.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi - if it has 3000 kms on it - it would have been performing well during that time - could be a brake rotor rusting issue and that the pads stuck because it had been sitting for a while - I am sure dealer will take care of it. I see you got it from the Volvo dealer in Toronto - we got ours in April from the dealer in Richmond Hill - Volvo Villa - it is a AWIN owned dealership as well - we had a couple of warranty issues and dealer service was excellent - and since your dealers is an AWIN owned facility as well I am sure they will look after it - likely not too serious of an issue. If Volvo of Toronto does give you excellent service - Rat Ramos the service manager at Volvo Villa (Steeles & Younge) will give you great service. the service advisor we worked with there was Len.
Our car has been great a few software bug issues - but Volvo will take care of those in time. Make sure they give you the latest software update from August - you can see the information on the Volvo Canada online page - just click of Support for owners and you can follow the items re software updates and info on the 2021 Recharge model on what additional features will be coming in the future. You will be sure to enjoy the car.
Thanks - fingers crossed. Update seems to be there - no Sirius yet but I read that may come this Fall?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sirius will 199% come when it comes :) until then … not holding my breath. Still love my car so much. So to drive :)

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
106 Posts
That’s a bit disappointing, especially since the car had been used for test drives/demo prior to you buying. Let us know what it turns out to be. Is it a MY21 or a MY22? Can you provide the VIN (except last 6 digits which are unique to your car) as I would be curious as to the model year and assembly plant information. We picked our new MY22 Recharge Twin here in Australia last week and the maps wouldn’t display in the driver’s display. I re-booted the IHU and it came good. However we’ve had intermittent outages of the mobile coverage and also the Volvo Cars App often fails to connect to the car. Other than that the car is awesome to drive. Looking forward to them getting the bugs worked out (seem to be taking their time!!)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That’s a bit disappointing, especially since the car had been used for test drives/demo prior to you buying. Let us know what it turns out to be. Is it a MY21 or a MY22? Can you provide the VIN (except last 6 digits which are unique to your car) as I would be curious as to the model year and assembly plant information. We picked our new MY22 Recharge Twin here in Australia last week and the maps wouldn’t display in the driver’s display. I re-booted the IHU and it came good. However we’ve had intermittent outages of the mobile coverage and also the Volvo Cars App often fails to connect to the car. Other than that the car is awesome to drive. Looking forward to them getting the bugs worked out (seem to be taking their time!!)
When you say intermittent outages do you mean it goes away and then comes back in a location specific way or do you mean goes away and you have to reboot it or let it nap for it to return?

·
Registered
106 Posts
When you say intermittent outages do you mean it goes away and then comes back in a location specific way or do you mean goes away and you have to reboot it or let it nap for it to return?
We have noticed driving in some areas it goes in and out (which I assume is lack of signal) but yesterday when I drove into town there was no signal even when I got into town where we know there’s a good signal...it eventually corrected itself after I tried rebooting the LTE modem and successfully rebooted the IHU...then let the car sit locked for a half our when I was shopping and it was OK when I returned.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We have noticed driving in some areas it goes in and out (which I assume is lack of signal) but yesterday when I drove into town there was no signal even when I got into town where we know there’s a good signal...it eventually corrected itself after I tried rebooting the LTE modem and successfully rebooted the IHU...then let the car sit locked for a half our when I was shopping and it was OK when I returned.
30 minute nap ftw

Reactions: PinkFreud

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told it’s a 2021 model. They’re still working on it and told me they would update me tomorrow. Vague comments about minor tweaks

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VIN is YV4ED3UR9M2….

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update / two days of calling and finally an email to customer service and general manager later and we finally have it ! Something vague about rust in the rotators “that can happen to any vehicle when sitting outdoors” but I’ve owned separate vehicles in my lifetime and this is never happened to me. And it sat for all of 4 days! Hopefully this will be the end of the saga as we are really excited to be driving full EV.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Update / two days of calling and finally an email to customer service and general manager later and we finally have it ! Something vague about rust in the rotators “that can happen to any vehicle when sitting outdoors” but I’ve owned separate vehicles in my lifetime and this is never happened to me. And it sat for all of 4 days! Hopefully this will be the end of the saga as we are really excited to be driving full EV.
Glad you finally got it and hopefully enjoying it - so what did they do to fix the issue? Replace the rotors and pads or did they turn the rotors to get rid of the rust and create a smooth surface again? we have had ours since April and have not had any rust issues on the rotors - wonder if Volvo changed a supplier/material rotors made of so it is creating issues on some cars and not others - our build date of the car is January 2021 - you can find your build date when you open the front door on the jam on the right side.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What does that mean? Other than the year it was built? Is Ghent the factory?
Yes, Welland said, built in the Volvo factory in Ghent Belgium. And MY2021 just means it is the Model Year 2021 car...they change over to Model Year 2022 usually in August, but I think they changed to Model Year 2022 for the EV in about June of 2021. It is just a “break point” for model changes that may involve some minor (or major!) hardware, software or equipment changes. In the case of the XC40 EV, I don’t think a whole lot changed between MY21 and MY22...and the software on them all will be updated to latest either OTA or via dealer. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad you finally got it and hopefully enjoying it - so what did they do to fix the issue? Replace the rotors and pads or did they turn the rotors to get rid of the rust and create a smooth surface again? we have had ours since April and have not had any rust issues on the rotors - wonder if Volvo changed a supplier/material rotors made of so it is creating issues on some cars and not others - our build date of the car is January 2021 - you can find your build date when you open the front door on the jam on the right side.
They didn’t tell me what they did - I asked several times. Wrote a very unhappy letter to customer service

1 - 20 of 21 Posts