Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Washing my xc40 r-design

11K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  slometaldoc 
#1 ·
This vehicle is everything and more that I anticipated. You won't be disappointed. I purchased all packages... The vehicle is black and white. No problems thus far. However, do I wash by hand for a few months or can I use car wash? (It is winter here in Virginia).

And what type car wash, hand wash, personal detail, touchless or automatic wash. Don't want to scatch/compromise the paint.

#4 ·
I've only had my XC40 for a few weeks and have taken it to the car wash once. (One of those types that "pull" the car thru while you sit in the car). The wash itself was fine, but the car was signaling alarms to me the entire time which was kind of weird. I guess I was supposed to turn off the camera's or something? I assume the car was concerned with the brushes coming down and across the sides of the car? Anyone???

#5 ·
I've been thinking about this too. I have an all-black. I used an old undershirt to gently wipe off bird poop and was shocked at how scratched the paint/clearcoat got! Thankfully it was just one spot but I still see it because I know it's there. I've had other black cars that weren't quite so easily scuffed.. I took those cars to hand washes, but they still left swirl marks and after seeing what I did with a gentle soft rag I won't take the XC40 there. I have only had the car thru touchless car washes at gas stations. It's not ideal especially in the winter where those washes just don't get the grime and dried salt off. I live in Chicago with no driveway to hand wash.. can't do that in winter anyway. So I haven't come up with any great idea yet but if you have, please do share!

#8 ·
I will look into that, Jeff. And will check out some detailing forums, eVolved. I'm really stressing about what to do to keep this car clean. Black Stone is really a beautiful black, but scratches very easily. Its luster will quickly be destroyed in any kind of typical car wash, that much I'm certain.

#10 ·
First, hand wash mild soap (car specific).....always. Please don't even think about a drive through car wash of any kind.
Second, you guys with black cars....there's an old product that I think is still around from 3-M. It's Imperial Hand Glaze. You can basically erase swirl marks in the paint with this. It won't remove scratches but it really makes black black. It's a bit difficult to work with but the results are worth it. When you finish with that step a basic polish/sealant applied with an orbital (or by hand, in necessary) is appropriate.

#12 ·
Had my R-Design for about a month now, but the weekly rains here in the PNW have kept it decently dust free on the outside. While I am not exactly looking forward to it, the best solution I've found for wash/wax (if doing so by hand) is to use whatever car wash smells good (Chemical Guys Grape Favored...errr...scented...), Clay Bar if you need it, then finish with an acrylic wax - I have been using Klasse All-in-one + Klasse Sealant Glaze.

Carnauba Wax does, IMO look 'better' - deeper gloss. But I will never apply it to another car I own because of the white marks left on anything that is not paint. I also find it doesn't last as long. This brings me to my favorite part about Klasse (and perhaps other Acrylic Waxes) - You can (and I do) apply them over plastic, windows, etc., and it will not leave a white residue - it acts like Rain-X so I don't have to do that separately.

NOTE: I am not a car wash expert and I am positive there are better ways - just relaying what works for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.