Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into Costco left wife(1) to nap in car (teachers get tired). They did not have their key.

A. Ac turned off. It could not be turned back on using the console.
B. Open the windows failed (the car denied anyone legit being in the car).
C. On opening the door due to rapidly increasing heat the car alarm went off.
D. Had they of exited it would of locked them out.

This is a very dangerous set of behaviors. Especially in a hot state with a frail passenger.

I did not realize these behaviors would happen. It should know that the passenger was there when the key owner left (Simple to do) and I thought a passenger could turn the ac on at any time.

I will test this out with me as the passenger in case wife(1) failed to try something.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Unfortunately, this appears to be expected behavior based on the online user manual - EVEN IF YOU LEAVE THEM THE KEYS. Climate only runs in Comfort Mode or Driving Mode. And Comfort Mode appears to terminate after (max) 10 minutes of no one sitting in the drivers seat.

I can understand that things shut down if there are no keys in proximity. But certainly if you LEAVE THE KEYS with your passenger, they absolutely ought to be able to control the climate & other console settings - without having to physically shift into the drivers seat. Holy cow....

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with the keys!!! ****.

That is not right and seems like a major design issue especially if it is independent of the key.

Without the key it kinda makes security sense as a lazy solution but with the key no excuse.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think we need a more clear definition of "Comfort Mode"
Comfort mode switches off when the driver's seat is unoccupied. Use the center display to put the vehicle back into comfort mode. Comfort mode will switch off again when the front passenger door opens.
So maybe if the passenger pushes the center console HOME button, and doesn't ever open the passenger front door - they will get some AC after the driver leaves?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. I can do a partial test using myself in the passengers seat but will need get one of the wives to help unless I throw my key far enough. Which I do not want to try :p

And on other notes. What happens if you drop your key out of the window while driving …

·
Registered
428 Posts
In the old days (ICE age) we used to have to leave the keys in the ignition, and turn it to "Accessory Mode" for the climate to run while the driver was gone. So I'm OK with having to leave the keys with my passenger - but they should NOT have to physically move over to the driver's seat.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The alarm going off when you exit was it that way with ice vehicles? Don’t think I ever tested it :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
In the old days (ICE age) we used to have to leave the keys in the ignition, and turn it to "Accessory Mode" for the climate to run while the driver was gone. So I'm OK with having to leave the keys with my passenger - but they should NOT have to physically move over to the driver's seat.
Are we saying at current state, the ONLY solution is to be on the Driver's seat at all times ?
So passengers would have to move to Drivers' seat - GOOD TO KNOW

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good point. I can do a partial test using myself in the passengers seat but will need get one of the wives to help unless I throw my key far enough. Which I do not want to try :p

And on other notes. What happens if you drop your key out of the window while driving …
Interestingly enough, I was just thinking of getting the Apple AirTag so i could track THE key in case it falls off the earth and I can't locate it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just like the TSLA doggie sensory function, Volvo definitely needs the Passenger sensory function ! SUPER dangerous.... it's supposed to be a "Family" car with Humans and Animals crawling everywhere so how could this design be such a flaw ??

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
256 Posts
Not the most appealing answer, but I just lean over and push on the middle of the driver's seat to reactivate things, not hard. Otherwise speaking, engage the preconditioning mode from Climate screen.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What about utilizing Parking Climate ? Haven't tried it -- what does it REALLY do ?
Set to "Comfort Temperature" for a limited timeframe ?
No one really knows the definition of "Comfort Temperature" MY "Comfort" is 64-68F !

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
256 Posts
In my experience, it's 72F. But seems to jump to the last driving setting when some control is touched -- eg, push the driver's seat, adjust volume.

It makes more sense that they should add some kind of "dog mode" feature like Tesla's got that can be invoked when someone is in the car but not the key.

·
Registered
609 Posts
In my experience, it's 72F. But seems to jump to the last driving setting when some control is touched -- eg, push the driver's seat, adjust volume.

It makes more sense that they should add some kind of "dog mode" feature like Tesla's got that can be invoked when someone is in the car but not the key.
For the sake of overall SAFETY alone, it should be a standard feature for a Volvo!

Yesterday, I'd started the Climate from VOC - 15 mins later, when I entered the car, it wasn't "comfortable" - but again, the outside temperature was beating down at 104F so I couldn't really tell if it was "trying" to get to 72 and indeed had helped after 15 minutes just that it was too hot to begin with so difficult to validate. Don't think it could get close to the 64F that Id left it at.

Today, same thing. But I'm going in after 30 mins, also left it at 64% previously but today not as high (this still means >90 ... hahah). The SOC shows 83% I want to see after the full 30mins, what the SOC will be. Tic Toc.....

This Car is like a living breathing beast....a temperament of its own..... Manuals don't quite cut it (as of yet).... but boy oh boy does it keep us busy playing with it !

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have left someone in the passenger seat multiple times. I leave the keys in the car, shut the door, and tell them to hit the center console to play the radio or adjust the temp. This has always worked.

I'm not certain if there is a time limit, but I am certain it has been over 15 minutes on multiple occasions.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will drag the oh not so joyed wife(1) somewhere to test with keys.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This just happened a minute ago. Pulling up to garage, passenger wanted to get out before fully entering the garage as it’s SUPER tight with Subaru next to it …so I braked (not Park), passenger hopes out and this message came ok. The thing is I have the key the whole time!
So I rolled into the garage no problem. Just strange. I know that from previous YouTube if someone walks away with key you can still operate the vehicle BUT you can’t do so after you’ve completely stop. Isn’t this strange ??

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
This just happened a minute ago. Pulling up to garage, passenger wanted to get out before fully entering the garage as it’s SUPER tight with Subaru next to it …so I braked (not Park), passenger hopes out and this message came ok. The thing is I have the key the whole time!
So I rolled into the garage no problem. Just strange. I know that from previous YouTube if someone walks away with key you can still operate the vehicle BUT you can’t do so after you’ve completely stop. Isn’t this strange ??

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is my experience with other keyless vehicles. It is not unique to Volvo. If the car is running, the keys can leave the vehicle. It will stay running until the car turns off. It will not restart without the keys.

This appears to be the standard for this type of keyless system. Not strange at all.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is my experience with other keyless vehicles. It is not unique to Volvo. If the car is running, the keys can leave the vehicle. It will stay running until the car turns off. It will not restart without the keys.

This appears to be the standard for this type of keyless system. Not strange at all.
But the key never left the car. I had it in my pocket. Passenger just hopped off. Thoughts ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts