Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long does it take to pre heat a battery before arriving at a charging station. Is there a set distance or minimum distance you have to travel to get the battery to pre heat prior to arriving at a station? I understand that the temp of the battery will effect this, especially on cold winter days that we are having here in Nevada. (20's at night, 30-40F in the days), but a "rule of thumb"........guideline would be helpful.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I read that if you set the fast charger as your destination the car will take care of battery conditioning. I don't know how long it takes to get to ideal temperature. It is also likely that once the battery is up to ideal temperature it won't cool off too much between charges, so it will take longer to warm up before the first fast charge and far less time for the following charges, assuming you are actively driving in the time between charges.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
Sounds about right to me. I don't think it would be easy to know how long it will take to warm up because of some variables:
  • Current battery temperature.
  • Current outside temperature.
  • Your driving style (brisk acceleration / regen will raise the temperature).
  • The heater capacity (might be divided if competing against cabin temperature settings).
It would be nice if someone ever hacks the Volvo codes to get various BMS readings over the ODB-II port like other EV's can do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to forum and first drive yesterday at temperature -27 Celsius. I was taking delivery 250 km from my home. Drove 125km with approx. 35.5 kWh/100km consumption. Entered fast charger for way point in google map. Arrived At charger with 22% SOC. 125kw DC fast charger. Car only took 82kw charge speed up to 50-60% soc slowdown. Seems the pre-heating the battery was limited by heater capacity du to high demande of cabin heating. Second half of the trip with a Google map fast DC charging station at the end resulted in same 82-85kw charging speed.
Question:

1- Is my assumption correct that the heater split its power between battery and cabin?
2- Is there a indication that the car has started to preheat the battery while on route to a fast charger?

·
Registered
317 Posts
New to forum and first drive yesterday at temperature -27 Celsius. I was taking delivery 250 km from my home. Drove 125km with approx. 35.5 kWh/100km consumption. Entered fast charger for way point in google map. Arrived At charger with 22% SOC. 125kw DC fast charger. Car only took 82kw charge speed up to 50-60% soc slowdown. Seems the pre-heating the battery was limited by heater capacity du to high demande of cabin heating. Second half of the trip with a Google map fast DC charging station at the end resulted in same 82-85kw charging speed.
Question:

1- Is my assumption correct that the heater split its power between battery and cabin?
2- Is there a indication that the car has started to preheat the battery while on route to a fast charger?
I have no idea how it works in the Volvo, but in a Tesla it specifically puts a message on the screen that says battery is preconditioning for fast charging. I would love to believe Volvo does the same thing, but I wouldn’t bet too much money on that one. We’ve never fast charged our XC40’s yet, so I can’t provide any input on the Volvo specially.

-27C…..brrrrrrrr. I was seriously complaining when it was about -12C here for a few mornings and that was the low for the day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@M23-VFS , dumb question. Did you use the charger itself as the destination? I understand that preheating only occurs if the navigation system has a fast charger as its destination. Now -27C might bring a whole new dimension to the conversation :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
71 Posts
Along these lines, is the preconditioning limited to DC fast charging or does the car do any preconditioning when a level 2 charging stop is programmed?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Along these lines, is the preconditioning limited to DC fast charging or does the car do any preconditioning when a level 2 charging stop is programmed?
Pre conditioning benefits at L2 would be minimal at best. It could occur but would probably use more energy than is worth, to achieve what would be marginally faster charging. At the moment the feature appears to be limited only to DC fast charging, which mimics other EVs (Tesla, Porsche, etc)

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading more it looks like the heat pump working range is only form +5 to +30 Celsius. It seems I may have hit the limit of the heating system heating the cabin and the battery at highway speed in -27C -13F temperature. Any other members having some data or recommendations to obtain best DC fast charging speed at low external temperature (on top of having the charger as a destination in the navigation system)? is using range extender mode for HVAC in this case would help?

·
Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
151 Posts
Do you have a heat pump? MY 2021 do not have heat pumps in Canada. Assume you have 2022 and heat pumps are now available?
Heat pumps were an option on the 21s. They were included in the climate package. Not sure if you could get them a la carte

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heat pumps were an option on the 21s. They were included in the climate package. Not sure if you could get them a la carte
Not in Canada. For some reason Volvo did not give us the option. They were not available.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After reading more it looks like the heat pump working range is only form +5 to +30 Celsius. It seems I may have hit the limit of the heating system heating the cabin and the battery at highway speed in -27C -13F temperature. Any other members having some data or recommendations to obtain best DC fast charging speed at low external temperature (on top of having the charger as a destination in the navigation system)? is using range extender mode for HVAC in this case would help?
Unfortunately the only data point I have is at -6F and the DCFC was only 50kW, so it took all it as offered. But the snowflake was gone afterward!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not in Canada. For some reason Volvo did not give us the option. They were not available.
I believe that was because early heat pumps vehicles had issues and had to be held at port before a fix was determined and implemented so the Canadian office did not allow the heat pump option on the 21s because it would significantly delay delivery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts