Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure what the actual differences are between the two boxes, but the ones I have are limited to 40A only. The internal switch, in power sharing model, is irrelevant as you put the primary box to 8, secondary box to 0, and control the max current per box via the app. Within the app, it would only let the "dial" go up to 40a. I would guess, if there is actually no component difference in the 48a model, it's controlled by firmware or maybe an internal config setting (like a fuse) which a consumer can't change. Perhaps once they release the 48a version, I send them an email.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Not sure what the actual differences are between the two boxes, but the ones I have are limited to 40A only. The internal switch, in power sharing model, is irrelevant as you put the primary box to 8, secondary box to 0, and control the max current per box via the app. Within the app, it would only let the "dial" go up to 40a. I would guess, if there is actually no component difference in the 48a model, it's controlled by firmware or maybe an internal config setting (like a fuse) which a consumer can't change. Perhaps once they release the 48a version, I send them an email.
Well that sucks. Funny I opened a ticket with them as I did an upgrade one day and the portal let me go to 48amps even thought the switch was set to 40amps. Seems odd as the instructions call out a hardwired version. I sent them an email asking to put ont he fix list that the portal shows fuels saved in liters, not very valuable here in the US.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have had the wallbox unit for about a week now.

Last night we got hit with a whopper of a charge cycle (so the Wallbox app says). The car was probably about 60–65% charged when it got plugged in at 6:15 PM. It claims it used 106.59 kWh to charge up to 90%

Now, either the wallbox is grossly misreporting, or our car did something extraordinarily goofy (I don’t know, kept the AC running or something??). At this point and with the luck we’ve had with this car, I’d say either possibility might be believable.

Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 1184 We have had the wallbox unit for about a week now.

Last night we got hit with a whopper of a charge cycle (so the Wallbox app says). The car was probably about 60–65% charged when it got plugged in at 6:15 PM. It claims it used 106.59 kWh to charge up to 90%

Now, either the wallbox is grossly misreporting, or our car did something extraordinarily goofy (I don’t know, kept the AC running or something??). At this point and with the luck we’ve had with this car, I’d say either possibility might be believable.

Has this happened to anyone else?
No, my Wallbox charging has been remarkably consistent.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Mine has been very consistent. What annoys me about the Wallbox is it does not save session info in NVRAM until uploaded so if the Wallbpox power cycles during the charge session or after before it can upload the session data the info is lost. With the stormy season and light/power short interruptions that is rather disappointing. I lost what was a 5 hour session of data last week because of this. I will have another decent charge session Friday night probably from 40% so I will see how that goes.

Overall still like the compactness of the Wallbox compared to sat Chargepoint or some of the others. My goal is to get another EV and do power sharing with a second Wallbox in about 12-18 months.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I put a ticket in at wallbox service and also notified Volvo customer service. Near wit’s end. When I was at the dealership picking the car up Monday night I saw the Volvo we traded for this, and sorely wanted to take it home instead.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Update: got a note back from Wallbox customer service. They wanted to check if we were on the most updated software revision for the charger. They asked for the serial number and were able to determine that we were on software v. 4.4.1.

They pushed out an update to our box and now we are running 5.2.4.

Hopefully the weirdness from last night's charge was just a misreporting caused by a software bug. We'll have to see how it behaves over the next few days.

I'm a bit surprised we were on an outdated software. When we first hooked the box up and connected it to the app, I seem to recall it saying an update was available (which I agreed to). Seems like it didn't take, for some reason.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
They asked for the serial number and were able to determine that we were on software v. 4.4.1.

They pushed out an update to our box and now we are running 5.2.4.
Odd, I have been getting updates fairly regularly on my Wallbox, and been on 5.2.4 shortly after they released it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Odd, I have been getting updates fairly regularly on my Wallbox, and been on 5.2.4 shortly after they released it.
I have been engaging with customer service via email about this earlier this morning, and someone just called to follow up.

What she told me is that v. 4.4.1 is an older factory-installed version that could have a bug that could explain the wild numbers. I let her know that the software offered an update when we first installed but that it didn't seem to actually happen; she said that sometimes the update from 4.4.1 can be a bit finicky, but now we're on a much improved version that should behave and update reliably. The impression I got over the phone is that she seemed to know what she was talking about.

I will keep a close eye on things but hopefully that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My two wallboxes seem to be consistent. At least nothing looks odd in the history. A week or two ago, I did have a problem with power sharing. With only the P8 plugged in (on the non-primary charger) it was only charging at the minimum 6 amps rate. Looking further the secondary app was reporting it wasn't on the wallbox network and the primary was said it was waiting for the secondary to connect. I tried restarting (via app) primary at first, and later the secondary but still same issue. What finally worked was power cycling both at the same time (glad I put in the power switch for them in the garage). I later noticed a newer software version was available (I think it was on 4.4.1 too). Forcing an up-rev on the app (I don't recall what the new version was) was a little finicky. Had to try a couple times on one of them. But haven't had a problem since and looking now both are on 5.2.4.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If our wallbox is to be trusted on 5.2.4, our 80.8 miles of driving yesterday (mixed between highway and city) took 28.82 kWH to replenish, so 35.7 kWh per 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Anyone with a Wallbox notice their schedule shifted back and hour with the daylight savings time change? I noticed it today which means I paid for some of my charging this month. I opened a support ticket.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
What kind of power sharing issues? I was planning on getting a second Wallbox and Power Sharing was the big appeal to Wallbox.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What kind of power sharing issues? I was planning on getting a second Wallbox and Power Sharing was the big appeal to Wallbox.
I had a ChargePoint Home Flex before and loved that unit, but it didn't support power sharing. This didn't work for me since we just got a second EV, so I went to the Wallbox units because they could power share.

A few times the secondary unit has gone offline and has lost connection to the "network"....ie the first unit. This has then caused the second unit to have a max of 6A and the first unit to be limited to 34A. I have tried removing and setting up the power sharing via the app, but that hasn't worked. I end up having to shut off the breaker for the units and then restart them, which instantly works to resolve the issue.

My thinking is it this only seems to be happening when the XC40 is pulling power (charging or for the climate control) and I hit the button on the XC40, then right after that hit the button on the handle to remove the charger from the vehicle. I can't duplicate this issue if I plug in my Tesla to the second unit, but for that vehicle, I just hit the button on the charge handle to break the flow of current and then remove the handle when the car unlocks it. I think I need to hit the button on the handle first, then hit the button on the car, then remove the charge handle. This is only a guess and I haven't been able to confirm it. I did email Wallbox to get their input and may try my theory tonight when my wife gets back home.

If my theory is correct, then it's not a big deal and just a slight change to our unplugging process. Just hit the button on the handle then the button on the car and then remove the handle.

I can keep this thread updated with what I find from Wallbox and my own testing.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It would be nice if Wallbox let you configure an even split when only 2 units are configured and communications is lost. The 6A limit is worse than a wall plug.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It would be nice if Wallbox let you configure an even split when only 2 units are configured and communications is lost. The 6A limit is worse than a wall plug.
I completely agree. If communication is lost then default to 20A if setup at 40A or whatever 50% is of your max. 6A basically takes that charger down, but the primary is still at 34A which is one positive. That means you’re down to one charger instead of two.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also haven't used the schedule option on my wallboxes (no advantage in Massachusetts for when to change ... it's always expensive :) ).

But I have had the same communication issues Rousie13 has. Although I didn't take any time to narrow when it occurs. Just noticed, from time to time, the secondary unit LED lights would "pulse" when it's looses connection to main. At that point, I power down/up both boxes (easy for me as I have a cut off switch right next to main unit). I'll have to try the button press order solution to see if that helps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also haven't used the schedule option on my wallboxes (no advantage in Massachusetts for when to change ... it's always expensive :) ).

But I have had the same communication issues Rousie13 has. Although I didn't take any time to narrow when it occurs. Just noticed, from time to time, the secondary unit LED lights would "pulse" when it's looses connection to main. At that point, I power down/up both boxes (easy for me as I have a cut off switch right next to main unit). I'll have to try the button press order solution to see if that helps.
I contacted Wallbox support and apparently I had the Can Bus wiring in the wrong slots, which was causing it to lose connection over time. It worked, so I assumed I had it set up correctly. Ensure you have the primary unit set in terminals 1 and 4 (1 is on the far left and 4 on the far right in the left plug) and the secondary unit set in 1 and 3. I did that and it's currently connected and Support is supposed to be running logs on their end. Hopefully that's all the issue was and I will be good to go after this.....if that's the case, user setup error on my part. However if it keeps acting up, then time to look into some other things.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts