Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, just found this forum! Ordered my XC40 a few weeks back, should be arriving in mid march. I decided to not get the lava red carpet, but has anyone gotten it? any opinions?

Also I'm trading in my 2015 bmw x1 for this, I really love how aggressive the car is. Any notable differences I should expect? Will I feel like there's too much technology controlling the driving?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to talking to you all soon!

Edit: Also, I've been wondering - is there any way to fully disable the traction control?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the forum David and glad to hear your wait for the XC40 should be coming to an end soon. There is a bit of a learning curve to the new technology, but its fairly intuitive. Traction control cannot be fully disabled, as its one of DSTC's permanent functions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey everyone, just found this forum! Ordered my XC40 a few weeks back, should be arriving in mid march. I decided to not get the lava red carpet, but has anyone gotten it? any opinions?

Also I'm trading in my 2015 bmw x1 for this, I really love how aggressive the car is. Any notable differences I should expect? Will I feel like there's too much technology controlling the driving?
?
Congratulations! I chose the XC40 over the X1 so was glad to read you agree. I have the package with all the safety options and it definitely does intervene. Takes a short while to get used to coming from a car that had none. I've had mine since last July and by now we get along well. The worst annoyance for me is when cars ahead of me are turning right. I have learned to keep a good distance behind them because, if the car senses I'm approaching too quickly, it will hit the brakes even though I'm in no jeopardy of hitting them. The second, similar issue that's taking some getting used to is expressway driving in tight traffic. Here in Chicago where traffic is just horrible and other drivers not usually very smart, you sometimes just have to initiate some aggressive lane changes if you want to get anywhere. Occasionally when I hit the gas to pull into another, faster moving lane, the XC40 senses me approaching the car in my lane ahead of me and will likewise hit the brakes and chime. You could never drive this car with this safety package in most bigger cities in Asia or South America, that's for sure. I hope the tuning of these features continues to improve especially with an eye towards a bit more sporty/heavy traffic city driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jezza, thanks for the reply! I also live in the midwest and do drive to Chicago fairly often. How does the XC40 handle bumps and potholes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the community and congrats on securing your XC40. What exterior color did you decide on for the R Design? T4 T5?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've seen a lot of people move away from BMW.

Can't blame them as BMW keeps the same recipe and banks on its well established reputation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Jezza, thanks for the reply! I also live in the midwest and do drive to Chicago fairly often. How does the XC40 handle bumps and potholes?
I have the R-Design which apparently comes with a slightly sportier-tuned suspension, and have the optional 20" wheels (they were part of the subscription package or I wouldn't have gotten them). Those options combined with a short wheelbase and higher center of gravity than a sedan means you definitely feel the car moving around quite a bit, vertically and laterally, even when you're not hitting bumps. It actually makes operating the touch screen a little challenging while the car is moving, and I have to admit that I do feel considerably more fatigued after a long (3+ hours) drive than, for example, in a Volkswagen I had in the past. With roads as bad as they are here, if I could do it again I'd probably opt for smaller diameter wheels and pass on the R-Design.

Overall I feel Volvo struck a really good balance for lively driving around town. I'd personally choose a different car altogether if I spent lots of hours on the open road each week.

The suspension seems to be high-quality and, from a mechanical perspective, it takes everything in stride. Last week I hit section of road that was just destroyed and all four wheels slammed pretty hard. Had it inspected at the dealer today and there were no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've seen a lot of people move away from BMW.

Can't blame them as BMW keeps the same recipe and banks on its well established reputation.
I actually really liked my X1, the 2015 model is low to the ground and is actually closer to a wagon in my opinion. I haven't had too many problems with it other than long term reliability concerns and the fact that my local BMW dealership constantly tries to rip me off.

But nevertheless, there isn't much about it that's unique. On the other hand, the XC40 has almost exactly the same amount of power compared to the X1 but has more space and is much more appealing to look at!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts