Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See photo below. Previously, the "Available Online" badge was below BOTH the XC40 Recharge and the C40 Recharge. Now it is gone. Furthermore, if you dig into the C40 and configure one, it just shows the option to send your config to a local retailer to "try to find a vehicle" -- basically, the same as any other Volvo (save for the XC40).

As some sort of odd backpedaling here, it seems the XC40 will remain online, but the C40 is NLA in this fashion? Has anyone on these forums who ordered a C40 online actually gotten their car? I know some have been spotted at dealer sites but AutoTrader doesn't show me any, anywhere... its odd.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Autotrader has been weird with the C40, up until a few days ago the website listed the C40 as an option but wouldn't show any results, though the Android app would. Now I'm able to see about two dozen C40s in the U.S. on the website, up from around 18 a week ago: Volvo C40 for Sale in Beverly Hills, CA 90210
For the most part they're listed at MSRP, but there's a dealer in Houston that's added a $6000 markup: New 2022 Volvo C40 P8 Recharge Ultimate

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow and yeah now that you sent that link that way I can see the one near me someone had shared recently -- VERY interesting -- thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I build a C40 and review the work, the screen says, "Get Local Price". There appears to be no option for on-line purchase. When you select the Get Local Price, it attempts to gather your information and direct your request to your local dealer. Is this a way for Volvo dealers to obtain "Additional Dealer Markups"? Sad!

I ordered my C40 on-line back in November when that was the correct approach. I hope it will be delivered as ordered at the price I was given. I have no interest in paying an additional dealer markup. Time will tell!

·
Registered
22’ C40 Thunder Gray on Fjord
18 Posts
I was just talking to my salesperson about this! I talked my parents into an xc40 p8 after I placed my c40 order 😬….They wanted to build it to their specs, but when they got online they ran into the same issue stated above.
So, I gave my salesperson a call to find out what was going on and what he was theorizing is that some orders were scheduled for delivery before year end but we’re delayed and with that incentives/tax/state/financing offers ended so a lot of orders were passed up on leaving a “surplus” that can be rerouted.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Cire22 -- def sounds plausible. FWIW, I've personally had 2x C40 orders both have subsequently been cancelled. So there is a Fjord Blue (w/blue carpet) and a Red C40 both were ordered and scheduled and cancelled that might be headed to the USA. haha....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was just talking to my salesperson about this! I talked my parents into an xc40 p8 after I placed my c40 order 😬….They wanted to build it to their specs, but when they got online they ran into the same issue stated above.
So, I gave my salesperson a call to find out what was going on and what he was theorizing is that some orders were scheduled for delivery before year end but we’re delayed and with that incentives/tax/state/financing offers ended so a lot of orders were passed up on leaving a “surplus” that can be rerouted.
Does your salesman say your order, and other orders, placed before January 1 will arrive sooner? Now that would be great news!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does your salesman say your order, and other orders, placed before January 1 will arrive sooner? Now that would be great news!!
This is what I know with my dealer/sales person please check with yours.

What he was saying is they don’t know as a dealer when an order is placed, they only get notified when it’s being shipped to them, and they have an incoming vehicle.
So when they get a xc40/c40 that isn’t delivered they start at the top of THEIR list and start calling people that have come in and shown interest or have been asked to be placed on the list for when one comes in.

If you have been working with a salesperson and you like them and want to take delivery with them you can give them your order number and when one comes in with your specs before yours, you would essentially be at the top of that list to be called.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Cire22 -- def sounds plausible. FWIW, I've personally had 2x C40 orders both have subsequently been cancelled. So there is a Fjord Blue (w/blue carpet) and a Red C40 both were ordered and scheduled and cancelled that might be headed to the USA. haha....
That fjord/fjord is going to be very popular! I almost went red but ended up with thunder gray on fjord. There’s a red one in Montgomery AL on Autotrader and it looks sharp now I’m not sure lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW -- the Silver over Blue carpet one that shows at Leiken Volvo in Cleveland, Ohio is apparently a pre-sold car. I suspect they took photos for web site just to get people interested and looking. They said "you have to order online" -- I replied saying you can't -- but that I did not really care/plan to buy one LOL -- so who knows!

·
Registered
18 Posts
FWIW -- the Silver over Blue carpet one that shows at Leiken Volvo in Cleveland, Ohio is apparently a pre-sold car. I suspect they took photos for web site just to get people interested and looking. They said "you have to order online" -- I replied saying you can't -- but that I did not really care/plan to buy one LOL -- so who knows!
Oh wow! I’m sure it has generated some business for them, but not a very nice tactic if you wanted the car lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just received an email from my dealer saying that they’ve received a bulletin from Volvo that C40 and XC40 recharge are sold out through 2022 and orders are no longer being taken. I panicked and screen shotted my order number and “preparing for production” status. They got back to me saying I should still be good for an April delivery.

Here’s hoping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered an ultimate xc40 on Jan 5th. Still waiting order confirmation from my dealership. We will see what happens. I find it hard to believe they would be out of 22s aready

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just ordered an ultimate xc40 on Jan 5th. Still waiting order confirmation from my dealership. We will see what happens. I find it hard to believe they would be out of 22s aready
that struck me as very odd too. Volvo isn’t a high volume manufacturer so maybe they don’t have the ability to scale up with demand. That would be a big mistake as this is the chance for them to gain ground in the market, if that Ghent plant is maxed out for the year in January they’re missing an opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
300 Posts
Supply chain and computer chip issues are affecting all new vehicle manufacturers right now. Glad Volvo isn’t just taking peoples money as zero interest loans like another EV manufacturer ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ordered my C40 on-line back in November when that was the correct approach. I hope it will be delivered as ordered at the price I was given. I have no interest in paying an additional dealer markup. Time will tell!
With the EV market as hot as it is now, and the great attractiveness of of the XC40 and C40, I'm sure dealers were whining about not being able to add dealer mark-ups. Here in the Phoenix metro, such local mark-ups are common practice for any vehicle that appeals to affluent car enthusiasts, of which there are many. Like you, we ordered our C40 when the price was still being quoted online. And also like you, it would make me very unhappy, and I would probably walk away, if the delivering dealer attempts to add on a premium.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the EV market as hot as it is now, and the great attractiveness of of the XC40 and C40, I'm sure dealers were whining about not being able to add dealer mark-ups. Here in the Phoenix metro, such local mark-ups are common practice for any vehicle that appeals to affluent car enthusiasts, of which there are many. Like you, we ordered our C40 when the price was still being quoted online. And also like you, it would make me very unhappy, and I would probably walk away, if the delivering dealer attempts to add on a premium.
My wife and I have already decided if the dealer try to add anything besides a few hundred bucks of "document fee", we will cancel the order. I have no interest in paying Volvo a premium above MSRP to be their beta tester.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts