Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen conflicting reports of how much complimentary maintenance comes with the recharge. Volvo's website says four years on one page and "for the life of your recharge" on the order page. My dealership website says three years. Considering volvos website says you get complimentary factory scheduled maintenance for the life of the vehicle this would be some very serious false advertising if untrue. Anyone else notice this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
86 Posts
I have seen conflicting reports of how much complimentary maintenance comes with the recharge. Volvo's website says four years on one page and "for the life of your recharge" on the order page. My dealership website says three years. Considering volvos website says you get complimentary factory scheduled maintenance for the life of the vehicle this would be some very serious false advertising if untrue. Anyone else notice this?
I'm confused. Where are you located? USA, where or Europe? Here in USA-PA our Volvo XC40 P8 Recharge is connected with ChargePoint not Electrify America. We were offered $500 in free electric OR a ChargePoint Wall adapter worth $700. I chose the wall adapter.

On my window sticker it says "MAINTENANCE Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance for the First 3 years or 40,000 miles." And without looking for the "manual" I would key in on what is "Factory Schedule Maintenance". Considering I lease for 3 years, I never worry.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can not find any current website has a listing for lifetime complimentary service. If it did exist, it no longer appears on line.

The Volvo website does not post lifetime service. Companies have the right to change their warranty coverage. However, they must grandfather in cars purchased prior to any warranty change.

When was this lifetime complimentary service posted and when was the car purchased? Also, the warranty is clearly listed on the window sticker.

Claims of false advertising are rather overblown if the window sticker and terms of purchase are clearly stated and are in agreement with the current Volvo web site posting.

If a dealer makes a different warranty, it is up to the dealer to honor the warranty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@Brian - If you're serious, please post actual URL links to the offending web pages. Thanks.
Well, for instance, it has shown up on dealer pages, although they may have been since been scrubbed.
I just typed some of the words and got a google hit. You have to look at the cached version of the page, but here's what used to be displayed on the site of Niello Volvo Cars of Sacramento (just as an example from a quick 10-second search):
2022 Recharge Ultimate | Niello Volvo Cars Sacramento | Volvo

So a question would be, when was that language up active on the the various Volvo and dealer pages, and how long did it stay there?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can not find any current website has a listing for lifetime complimentary service. If it did exist, it no longer appears on line.

The Volvo website does not post lifetime service. Companies have the right to change their warranty coverage. However, they must grandfather in cars purchased prior to any warranty change.

When was this lifetime complimentary service posted and when was the car purchased? Also, the warranty is clearly listed on the window sticker.

Claims of false advertising are rather overblown if the window sticker and terms of purchase are clearly stated and are in agreement with the current Volvo web site posting.

If a dealer makes a different warranty, it is up to the dealer to honor the warranty.

Here you go. Also I made the order online based in part off of this page so I don't really agree with saying the sticker will be correct. Volvo is switching to online orders and doesn't even give a window sticker in some cases.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That’s for something called a “XC40 Recharge Plus”. I’ve never heard that “Plus” terminology before. Sounds like maybe some kind of dealer-specific “bundle” including an extended maintenance contract?

Confusing? You bet. False advertising? Not sure about that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s for something called a “XC40 Recharge Plus”. I’ve never heard that “Plus” terminology before. Sounds like maybe some kind of dealer-specific “bundle” including an extended maintenance contract?
Nope. That's the new terminology for 2022. There is a plus and an ultimate trim level. No extended warranty bundle.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nope. That's the new terminology for 2022. There is a plus and an ultimate trim level. No extended warranty bundle.
You’re correct - “Plus” is the new basic trim level for 2022.

But looking closer this lifetime maintenance offer is clearly for a Subscription to the car, not a purchase. Not sure if that’s the same as a lease - but that explains the discrepancy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure where you see that this is "clear". The complimentary electrify america charging that is advertised above it is included with the car and not a subscription. Also Volvo confirmed it when I called in. I realize they are clueless but that's not an excuse.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not sure where you see that this is "clear". The complimentary electrify america charging that is advertised above it is included with the car and not a subscription. Also Volvo confirmed it when I called in. I realize they are clueless but that's not an excuse.
Now you’ve really confused me. You started this thread about “lifetime maintenance”, not a free charging offer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now you’ve really confused me. You started this thread about “lifetime maintenance”, not a free charging offer.
I was saying the free charging offer directly above it applies to purchases/leases and not subscriptions so I don't understand why you think the maintenance for life is only for subscriptions. Plus this page leads to putting a deposit down for a purchase and not a subscription. So I am considering this false advertising and I'm not sure how you could not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think it’s a legit complaint. It is confusing and Volvo is the one supplying the dealers with these page templates (it’s not like some local guy is making an isolated data entry error). They make the dealer pages look Volvo corporate (so it looks like you’re on the manufacturer’s page), but then change their minds about key details and don’t ensure that their dealer clean up their sites.

Volvo is a bit sloppy with their web stuff anyway. I’ve bought several accessories/parts that did not end up matching the description. “Oh we changed that part/it’s no longer available in that style,” but the outdated web description lingers on.

Confusion in maintenance coverage details go beyond mere nuisance. If people ordered/purchased cars with this language up and were mislead by it, it’s a problem.

Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was saying the free charging offer directly above it applies to purchases/leases and not subscriptions so I don't understand why you think the maintenance for life is only for subscriptions. Plus this page leads to putting a deposit down for a purchase and not a subscription. So I am considering this false advertising and I'm not sure how you could not.
The EA charging offer seems to be included with all 2022s, regardless of purchase method. Not questioning that.

But I'm pretty sure the lifetime maintenance is only supposed to be offered with a Subscription, not a purchase or lease. 2022s normally get 4-years of scheduled maintenence (up from 3 years on our 2021s). Initially I could only find the term "lifetime maintenance" on Care-By-Volvo Subscription pages. But on further searching - you're correct. If you drill into the Shop/Purchase options, it does appear at least on some of the web pages. I think someone screwed up.

Good luck actually getting this deal, though :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
You need to prove that you purchased the vehicle from the seller that had the false warranty claim, ( it is no longer on line).

You have to claim that the sole reason or the motivating reason for the purchase was for the warranty.

Your purchase agreement almost certainly has a mandated arbitration clause stating that all legal issues must go through arbitration. Therefore, you cannot sue and arbitration agreements are enforceable.

And, in the rare case you won the arbitration, then you might be entitled to free warranty routing maintenance for the life of the car. However, that would not be transferable.And maintenance coverage does not mean free repairs on all parts. It is simply free checks and adjustments.... and oil changes, (which the recharge doesn't need), and coolant, (which the recharge doesn't have).

I would definitely spend my time in a more productive manner than trying to get free maintenance coverage.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Whether or not OP would win a court battle or not…

can we all that Volvo need to get itself straighten out and stop putting brainstormed rough draft material on its websites? It’s bush league.

Reactions: improvius
1 - 18 of 18 Posts