Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EV concept reveal was part of a presentation where CEO Samuelsson said Volvo Cars was on track to IPO on the NASDAQ Stockholm market by the end of the year. No wonder executive management's eye is off its premier EV launch. They're too busy counting the value of their options.
REUTERS - 6/30/21

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love my P8! (so far)
Don't misunderstand me. I love driving my P8. But (1) I've been lucky to avoid the mechanical and SW issues others on this have experienced and (2) I've just been driving infrequent short trips (i.e., 1200 mile in 4 weeks). So I haven't stressed the P8 yet.

I'm mostly frustrated with Volvo Cars about it lack of communications with owners and unwillingness to set definitive deadlines for resolving known problems or feature implementation.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't misunderstand me. I love driving my P8. But (1) I've been lucky to avoid the mechanical and SW issues others on this have experienced and (2) I've just been driving infrequent short trips (i.e., 1200 mile in 4 weeks). So I haven't stressed the P8 yet.
I too have been lucky and haven't stressed mine yet. First test will be this weekend when we take it on vacation, and I have to admit I'm more a little nervous!😬

·
Registered
83 Posts
For what it's worth I've taken out for a road trip 300 miles each way and had zero issues with the car or charging (fortunately lucky) but I would also note that people generally don't post about their uninteresting rides where nothign goes wrong, and so forums tend to bias towards problems.

Not to say I don't have problems (the AC didnt wokr until the first software update, and the VOC sucks) but apart from that everything has been great. Especially when I drive by a $5 gallon gas station. Then the car really shines.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
From reading pretty much every post here it is hard to tell the actual state of the P8. It is part of why i did the poll on whether you were happy with the sales experience I had assumed from reading that the majority would be unhappy and yet so far it’s the opposite.

With mechanical / electronic issues is it the fractional small unlucky few we have heard from or is it a flawed roll out. I have to think that if it was as bad as it seems in these forums that it would be in the news. Which leads me to think that maybe most P8s are working fine (voc not included).

I am not saying that most P8s are working I am just saying that I do not know. Putting up another poll :)

Reactions: improvius

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to see some reputable source ( like Car & Driver or Motor Week) do a long term review of the P8. They may get a car like mine with few problems or one with bad a/c, bad IHU, etc). Such reviews are relatively fair and would certainly highlight whether the flaws we’re seeing here are systemic and widespread or isolated.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would like to see some reputable source ( like Car & Driver or Motor Week) do a long term review of the P8. They may get a car like mine with few problems or one with bad a/c, bad IHU, etc). Such reviews are relatively fair and would certainly highlight whether the flaws we’re seeing here are systemic and widespread or isolated.
As you wrote though. There review would be based on the car they got. If they got the worst I have read on here all combined it would score “dumpster fire” but if they got my car or others who are lucky then it might got 4.5/5 stars.

I would love to have access to Volvo’s Data base of reported and fixed errors.

I am so hoping most cars are like mine ….

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
For what it's worth I've taken out for a road trip 300 miles each way and had zero issues with the car or charging (fortunately lucky) but I would also note that people generally don't post about their uninteresting rides where nothign goes wrong, and so forums tend to bias towards problems.

Not to say I don't have problems (the AC didnt wokr until the first software update, and the VOC sucks) but apart from that everything has been great. Especially when I drive by a $5 gallon gas station. Then the car really shines.
Wow - $5 / gallon ! Which State are you at if you don't mind me asking.

I haven't stressed mine yet, just driving around work and around town -- about to make a trip to the lake which is likely 350 miles round trip so we shall see !

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Was $5 a gallon when I drove down to ca (in Ca).
was shocked then laughed as Margo swooshed by the gas station :)

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Was $5 a gallon when I drove down to ca (in Ca).
was shocked then laughed as Margo swooshed by the gas station :)
Wow -- Currently, it runs an average of $3 for Premium gas in TX
AND thankfully the ChargePoint $500 credit expires in 10 years (mine in Jun 2031) - THAT's more like it !

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I understand why EVs are taking off in CA, but then your power rates are through the roof as well. No wonder what tens of thousands or more people are fleeing that state.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
When we were down in ca they were asking people to cut back on electrical use due to shortage …

Evs are a part of the puzzle to get to a better place but alas we desperately need power infra structure to go with it.

It’s good evs are not being sold / made any faster than they are … come on infrastructure get it done.

·
Super Moderator
264 Posts
I've just been driving infrequent short trips (i.e., 1200 mile in 4 weeks). So I haven't stressed the P8 yet.
Wouldn't many infrequent short trips actually be more stressful for a battery-operated car than fewer longer ones? And you're driving what would amount to over 14k miles per year, more than average. I agree Volvo's communications leaves much to be desired but no one can cite a manufacturer that actually does communicate well with customers. I'm about 30 years into buying cars and have never gotten more than a sales pitch or mandated recall notice from any manufacturer, so I don't think Volvo's alone in that. And, finally, I know this won't be a popular comment here... but I think you really are taking some risk when you buy the first electric model of any manufacturer this early in the e-vehicle era. Rightfully or not, I think Volvo and other manufacturers assume early adopters are going to appreciate that they're taking a chance on the technology, the payoff being that it's great when it works.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I am not sure the frequency of the trips is as important as the discharge cycles and frequency. The video to me has one flaw, they just look depth and frequency. They show running battery from 75 to 65 preserves battery the most, but heck that is using 10% per charge and then how far are you going. I think you need to look at the effective range used as well. Thus 4000 cycles of 10% usage is 40,000 percent of battery range. While a battery used 85 down to 25 might degrade more over 4000 cycles it used 240,000 percent of battery range or 6x the effective range. Some rough math, I am doing some large rounding here. If I get about 2 miles per percent (more but this makes math easier) thus over 80,000 miles ( 10% depth of discharge over 4000 cycles) my battery should still be around 90% original capacity if I do 75-65. If I do 85-25 my range over 4000 cycles 480,000 miles. Sure my battery might only have 75-80% it’s original capacity but I drove it nearly half a million miles.

If I am missing something please help me with my logic.

Reactions: Jezza
1 - 20 of 26 Posts