Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
During the big electronics show in Vegas this year Volvo and Google released press kits about the AAOS/Google partnership and new developments on that platform. I don’t think they are moving away from AAOS/Google any time soon.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
927 Posts
Definitely NOT ditching AAOS for infotainment. This article is describing their strategy for the “core” car software, including eventual autonomous driving. AAOS has little or nothing to do with that. It’s pretty clear that AAOS will continue to run their Infotainment displays, probably running as a VM client on their future “unified” core host OS. Hopefully with better performance & reliability on their next-gen NVIDIA car supercomputers vs. the crappy cheap 6-year-old Intel Atom we have in our current cars.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Though the nvidia super chips will exist. Question is will they be available to use in cars. And if so when. Hopefully chip shortage will slow down so the latest and greatest is also available :). I miss those days.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely NOT ditching AAOS for infotainment. This article is describing their strategy for the “core” car software, including eventual autonomous driving. AAOS has little or nothing to do with that. It’s pretty clear that AAOS will continue to run their Infotainment displays, probably running as a VM client on their future “unified” core host OS. Hopefully with better performance & reliability on their next-gen NVIDIA car supercomputers vs. the crappy cheap 6-year-old Intel Atom we have in our current cars.
The Atom was recently discontinued, so I imagine whoever is building the main unit will be looking elsewhere. The Comms module (TCAM) would take care of 5G and so on, as well as future versions of Bluetooth and satellite radio, so I imagine they will be able to swap all these bits out to future proof. The reality is that everybody in the car business is in the same boat, including Tesla. At least Volvo is going down the path of more and better sensors (LIDAR and RADAR) which actually work in adverse conditions. There’s a lot of old Volvos on the road still here and in Europe, so I don’t think it would look good if they started sunsetting cars like computers.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
927 Posts
The Atom was recently discontinued, so I imagine whoever is building the main unit will be looking elsewhere. The Comms module (TCAM) would take care of 5G and so on, as well as future versions of Bluetooth and satellite radio, so I imagine they will be able to swap all these bits out to future proof. The reality is that everybody in the car business is in the same boat, including Tesla. At least Volvo is going down the path of more and better sensors (LIDAR and RADAR) which actually work in adverse conditions. There’s a lot of old Volvos on the road still here and in Europe, so I don’t think it would look good if they started sunsetting cars like computers.
Volvo announced they’ll be using NVIDIA chips in future cars, starting with next-gen XC90:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts