Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“The next generation of pure electric Volvo models will run on our own operating system.”

Just saw this on the new Volvo home page. Unless I’m badly misinterpreting, they want in house software in the near future even while marketing AAS as a key feature now. I thought the whole point was letting the tech companies do what they do best. Seems like an odd about-face and makes me wonder what support will be for my car in the coming years

source

·
Registered
19 Posts
also found ''Our software development is moving in-house, for pace.'' in that link you provided.

I haven't yet received my recharge but judging from what people are experiencing in here with google/android automotive, are we that surprised?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I wonder if they are changing the hardware …
Or put another way will they be able to replace the os on our cars. . .

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the idea of a software company doing the infotainment, car systems etc for obvious reasons. I hope Google continues to develop AAS.. just in case i want to keep my C40 longer than the 3 year lease..

·
Registered
287 Posts
1) Although the announcement on the website is worded differently, my gut tells me they will be taking the customization of AAOS in house and not really developing an OS from scratch.

2) If they do decide to do a complete OS from scratch it wouldn't be ready for years.

3) No it wouldn't run on existing hardware and even if it did they wouldn't make it available. They'd rather sell you the new thing but they certainly won't spend money making something better that's already been sold. There would have to be a huge market of people willing to pay for it. And before anyone says, "But Tesla..." allow me to remind you that Tesla sold thousands of dollars of software per car that was never delivered.

4) I honestly think this verbiage is more about the self driving software planned for the 90 that will be level 5.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge Plus w/Climate and 20" Wheels V1.8 OTA (Stone Black)
21 Posts
“The next generation of pure electric Volvo models will run on our own operating system.”

Just saw this on the new Volvo home page. Unless I’m badly misinterpreting, they want in house software in the near future even while marketing AAS as a key feature now. I thought the whole point was letting the tech companies do what they do best. Seems like an odd about-face and makes me wonder what support will be for my car in the coming years

source
I had a rental XC40 2021 ICE - The Android/Infotainment all did not work as well as what I have in my 2022 XC40 Recharge. I didn't get some of the display features and some other features, but it works way way better than the 2021 ICE version.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Software support vs. car longevity becomes a big concern. Look at all the cars impacted by 3G shutting down. Average age of a car is 11 years years, most software vendors don't; support their software more than 3-5 years. Other than Tesla an Apple people need to realized in 3-5 years their car software is what it is and that the communications may at some point be turned off as LTE fades into oblivion at some point. I do think car makers need to start thinking about modular/upgradeable head units where your car can be upgraded to latest communications (5G, 6G, etc.) and possibly the CPU power to support the later software releases.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Software support vs. car longevity becomes a big concern. Look at all the cars impacted by 3G shutting down. Average age of a car is 11 years years, most software vendors don't; support their software more than 3-5 years. Other than Tesla an Apple people need to realized in 3-5 years their car software is what it is and that the communications may at some point be turned off as LTE fades into oblivion at some point. I do think car makers need to start thinking about modular/upgradeable head units where your car can be upgraded to latest communications (5G, 6G, etc.) and possibly the CPU power to support the later software releases.
Love your optimism that the world will still be able to worry about evs in 11 years :)

Semi joke :)

• Sad
Reactions: A2_

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The EV version of Fury Road would be somewhat less thrilling I think
And yet you could could charge a car in the apocalypse but making gas would be a lot harder …

Yeah mad max with everyone driving Priuses hurts my
Mind :)

Reactions: He Keith

·
Premium Member
Volvo XC-40 pure electric
28 Posts
I'm convinced that will turn out well, after inevitable teething problems. First, the new OS will be fore all Geely BEV, so Polestar and Volvo will have it too. That allows considerable flexibility for Battery Management Systems, control optimization, infotainment (Probably that will remain android/IOS compatible) plus driving systems including navigation and driving assistance. That systems integration is, in my opinion, the worst single weakness for Volvo. OK, I'm comparing it with Tesla.

On the other hand, I have just had my OTA software upgrade on my Volvo. It was flawless! It even self-displayed the major changes.

As in many things we own works-in-progress. That doesn't bother me, I've done it with many products (in fact I had a boat a car and an airplane bought back by manufacturer after they could not repair them). Despite the problems almost all have been very good experiences.

My Volvo is one of those good ones thus far. Last week we had widespread fooding where I live with much of my route home blocked. Knowing how well sealed most BEV must be, I proceeded to drive through water that rose above the door bottoms. The car has sensors warning of collision, but the car drove through without incident. Even busses were stopped in the flooding.

When we feel like complaining remember that Volvo has done some fo the most basic things perfectly. With luck only in rare circumstances will those capabilities be tested.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I'm convinced that will turn out well, after inevitable teething problems. First, the new OS will be fore all Geely BEV, so Polestar and Volvo will have it too. That allows considerable flexibility for Battery Management Systems, control optimization, infotainment (Probably that will remain android/IOS compatible) plus driving systems including navigation and driving assistance. That systems integration is, in my opinion, the worst single weakness for Volvo. OK, I'm comparing it with Tesla.

On the other hand, I have just had my OTA software upgrade on my Volvo. It was flawless! It even self-displayed the major changes.

As in many things we own works-in-progress. That doesn't bother me, I've done it with many products (in fact I had a boat a car and an airplane bought back by manufacturer after they could not repair them). Despite the problems almost all have been very good experiences.

My Volvo is one of those good ones thus far. Last week we had widespread fooding where I live with much of my route home blocked. Knowing how well sealed most BEV must be, I proceeded to drive through water that rose above the door bottoms. The car has sensors warning of collision, but the car drove through without incident. Even busses were stopped in the flooding.

When we feel like complaining remember that Volvo has done some fo the most basic things perfectly. With luck only in rare circumstances will those capabilities be tested.
Nifty! Nice to hear about the p8 in flooding. Glad it took it so well.

Cheers

Reactions: TmB

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I wonder how well armored is the underside of the car wheee the battery is. How does it compare to off road armored truck bottoms.

Spouse2 would have a caniption if I took Margo off road :p

• Haha
Reactions: TmB
1 - 20 of 27 Posts