Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I’ve been having issues where the Volvo car app is not connecting to the car any more. It started happening before the 2.3 update.

I tried resetting the IHU which fixes the connection temporarily. Overnight it loses connection again?

Anyone having the same issues?
Running on IOS 15.7 and app running on 5.18.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
292 Posts
Lately I’ve been having issues where the Volvo car app is not connecting to the car any more. It started happening before the 2.3 update.

I tried resetting the IHU which fixes the connection temporarily. Overnight it loses connection again?

Anyone having the same issues?
Running on IOS 15.7 and app running on 5.18.
No issues here using IOS 15.6.1 and Volvo Car 5.18.0

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have my car yet but your issue sounds more like a typical iOS, iPhone, or app problem. Usual fixes: Restart the phone. Delete and reload the app.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have my car yet but your issue sounds more like a typical iOS, iPhone, or app problem. Usual fixes: Restart the phone. Delete and reload the app.
I thought about that but what made me hesitate was the fact that it temporarily fixes itself when I reset the IHU of the car.

I’ll have to do some digging of what I need to do when reinstalling the app.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
459 Posts
I thought about that but what made me hesitate was the fact that it temporarily fixes itself when I reset the IHU of the car.

I’ll have to do some digging of what I need to do when reinstalling the app.
There are cautions by Volvo that came out last summer to not delete app and there was a special procedure to follow if you did. I would check your car accounts and that Volvo account is still signed in since there was a time last year where the account kept disappearing.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
231 Posts
No, please don’t! You first need to uninstall and reinstall your profile, and uninstall again if that doesn’t work. Yes it’s quite possibly software related, but you are synchronizing the online Volvo profile with the app, and removing it deletes whatever Secure ID from the phone it uses. Maybe ask your dealer for confirmation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might be the same thing that happens to me every single day. After most of a day passes and I open the Volvo app again. I get the display of the car but the data from the car to report locked, HVAC, and battery are all blank or missing.
What I think is happening is the app on our phones authenticates with Volvo's back end servers but that authentication is only good for maybe 24 hours?
Until they fix the app, what you have to do is force the app to reauthenticate with Volvos back end servers. You can do this by restarting your phone, but it's better and faster to simply force a restart of the app. Both Android and Apple have a way to show all apps that are running even if they are in the background and usually swipe them away to close the app. Then relaunch the app.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
267 Posts
This might be the same thing that happens to me every single day. After most of a day passes and I open the Volvo app again. I get the display of the car but the data from the car to report locked, HVAC, and battery are all blank or missing.
What I think is happening is the app on our phones authenticates with Volvo's back end servers but that authentication is only good for maybe 24 hours?
Until they fix the app, what you have to do is force the app to reauthenticate with Volvos back end servers. You can do this by restarting your phone, but it's better and faster to simply force a restart of the app. Both Android and Apple have a way to show all apps that are running even if they are in the background and usually swipe them away to close the app. Then relaunch the app.
I think the blank or missing icons issue is just a bug. In my case on Android, if I open the app and the icons are missing, switching to another tab in the app (i.e. the "contact us" tab or the "manage account" tab) and then back to the home tab makes the missing icons reappear immediately.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just sent a note to [email protected]

I’ve noticed that if I unlock the car with the key fob a few seconds after the app connects and displays data.
I also noticed that if the app is not connected and I open the connected cars section and click on the connected car it loads until I get the message below.

Rectangle Font Pattern Circle Event

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,136 Posts
I think the blank or missing icons issue is just a bug. In my case on Android, if I open the app and the icons are missing, switching to another tab in the app (i.e. the "contact us" tab or the "manage account" tab) and then back to the home tab makes the missing icons reappear immediately.
Exactly same here...and has been forever. I just touch on the person icon at bottom RH of screen and it takes me to the account page...a second later the privacy settings row appears there, then I can just hit the home icon at bottom of screen and the data is properly displayed.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,136 Posts
Wow, thanks for the tip, that's easier than what I have been doing: close the app and open it again.. ;)
I don't leave the app open as a general rule...and when I do open it it doesn't show the items on the left or SOC, so that's when I touch on the person icon and back to home and that fixes it for me. Mine's Android phone. iPhone may be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new on this forum. I live in SW France, had a XC40 mid july and unfortunately last week a bug prevented me to start the car, leading to few days at the dealer's garage. Actually, they didn't find anything wrong as the 12V battery disconnection had cleared the bug.... :) The car is back home and everything OK except the Volvo Cars mobile apps. It can't connect to the car. I tried to restart my mobile, tried to disconnect from the apps and reconnect, without success. Finally I re-install the apps (oups, I read too late that we should not de-install it.............. :eek:). I had to re-enter the NIV (or VIN maybe in Canada ?) but the apps starts trying to connect to the car and.... never succeeds and never ends. So I don't know what I could try now (before reverting to factory parameters as I don't want to enter again all parameters... I'm a bit lazy, yes....)
Could you help me on this ?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Jalisca32, each profile in the center display can only be paired with one instance of the app, if you do not disconnect the app before uninstalling you'll be left in this state. It can be easily fixed with a factory reset as you know, or by using a second phone and pairing to a new profile.

1: Create a new profile in the center screen
2. Bring all keys into the car, go to settings - > profiles - > become admin
3. With all keys still in the car pair the second phone to the new profile
4. In the app on the second phone go to connected vehicles, choose your car and disconnect your original phone.

You can then disconnect the second phone if you wish, delete the profile you created, and pair back up with your original phone.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m still having issues with the app.
After opening a ticket with them, their advise was to do a factory reset of the car. I though it was a bit extreme.
I’m going to try first re-installing the app, of course after ending ownership.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts