Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if any C40 reservation holders have been told about an extended delivery delay for their orders? The dealers telling me that 3/4 of the C40 reservations have been cancelled due to lithium battery sourcing issues out of China.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm sure glad we ordered our EVs last year rather than now. EV buying seems to be a much more difficult exercise these days compared to even last year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Curious if any C40 reservation holders have been told about an extended delivery delay for their orders? The dealers telling me that 3/4 of the C40 reservations have been cancelled due to lithium battery sourcing issues out of China.
Maybe write to Volvo about it. Production of the 2023 XC and C40 is beginning imminently, so maybe that’s the issue. They build their own batteries from cells supplied by LG Chemical for our markets, so I thought.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I don't want to start anything political, but none of these companies have learned a thing form the last 2 years around supply chain and sourcing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't want to start anything political, but none of these companies have learned a thing form the last 2 years around supply chain and sourcing.
I ordered an ID.4 last July. Last I heard, the ETA was November-December. I ordered and am about to get my XC40 - waited less than 3 months, and last i checked, Volvo is selling lots of them.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Demand on the Volvo is likely not as strong as for the VW and VW was hit with a lot of supply chain issues,

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I would mention that outside of North America the Recharge models also tend to include PHEV models as well. No doubt the Volvos are going strong, but Volvo is still a somewhat niche brand compare to the VW powerhouse. The C40 is really almost in a class to itself when you remove Tesla.There is a Mach-E that tends to par either next to me or a few spot over at work, and I will take the C40 styling all day every day. Not that the Mach-E is a bad car, but the C40 is clearly higher, better ground clearance and just screams more sexiness and upscale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would mention that outside of North America the Recharge models also tend to include PHEV models as well. No doubt the Volvos are going strong, but Volvo is still a somewhat niche brand compare to the VW powerhouse. The C40 is really almost in a class to itself when you remove Tesla.There is a Mach-E that tends to par either next to me or a few spot over at work, and I will take the C40 styling all day every day. Not that the Mach-E is a bad car, but the C40 is clearly higher, better ground clearance and just screams more sexiness and upscale.
Actually Volvo PHEV sales are in the 50K range for the first quarter. VAG is hampered by supply issues big time at VW, Skoda, Audi and Porsche; and from what I was hearing from Volvo, sales of non EV, PHEV are slowing right down, so those of us with cars are lucky if concerns about battery supply are to be believed. Am counting the days as mine crosses the Prairies.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I’ve been told, but I’m wondering if it’s the truth. Has anyone else been told a similar story by their dealer?

I’m personally vested in another fjord blue showing up

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I am curious as to what they should of learnt in the last 2 years? What could they of done as everyone (many companies) are all scrambling for the same limited resources/items?

I am genuinely curious. It does not seem that any companies are doing great supply chain wise.

It maybe I did not get the memo :)

I am also so glad I got my ev back in May 2021. No regrets and I would not want to be trying to get one now.

Reactions: Speed_Bump

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Simple, stop relying on China for everything. Diversity or sourcing.

I will try to keep this non-confrontational, but let’s theorize for a moment. Very little of the world relies on Russia for their survival so when the Ukraine invasion started it was relatively easy to isolate Russia and ban imports. When China invades Taiwan do we think the same will happen? China can easily cripple the world and will not think twice. They lock down huge portions of the country for Covid sending ripples through the global economy, yet companies just keep being ignorant. Just saying….

·
Registered
57 Posts
Simple, stop relying on China for everything. Diversity or sourcing.

I will try to keep this non-confrontational, but let’s theorize for a moment. Very little of the world relies on Russia for their survival so when the Ukraine invasion started it was relatively easy to isolate Russia and ban imports. When China invades Taiwan do we think the same will happen? China can easily cripple the world and will not think twice. They lock down huge portions of the country for Covid sending ripples through the global economy, yet companies just keep being ignorant. Just saying….
Don’t deny there’s a potential if China invaded Taiwan for instance. I think automotive is at risk from disruption just because parts are sourced world-wide, and shipping in general has had huge problems with container shipping and the soaring cost of moving goods around the world. You can’t change things overnight, but I believe Volvo is moving in the right direction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts