Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Nice find.

Well they certainly are advertising the VoC as present and working! The excuse of it is not released yet is over. Never will I defend it that way again.

Mmm wonder if mine is working today … ooh yes it is :) Margo must of seen the video :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Font Display device

ummm,.... I am 99.7% sure I've pre-heated the car without being plugged in. this was in the video link above-- odd?

Also it mentions being able to "pre load trips" into the nav. I do realize that my Google Maps syncs via cloud so previously searched destinations do show up (super nice, thanks Google!) -- but I wasn't aware we could send routes or destinations directly to the car like some other EVs I've had (BMW, Tesla, etc)-- anyone?

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 1825
ummm,.... I am 99.7% sure I've pre-heated the car without being plugged in. this was in the video link above-- odd?

Also it mentions being able to "pre load trips" into the nav. I do realize that my Google Maps syncs via cloud so previously searched destinations do show up (super nice, thanks Google!) -- but I wasn't aware we could send routes or destinations directly to the car like some other EVs I've had (BMW, Tesla, etc)-- anyone?
I'm 100% sure I have pre-heated without charging. Doing it every day at work.

Pre-loading must be new or they confuse it with something else.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pre-loading must be new or they confuse it with something else.
...or maybe it's a forthcoming feature? Considering a lot of us on v1.7 are getting the "charged enough to continue trip" notification even when no route is entered-- it may be a feature that will be unlocked soon?

FWIW -- I've had other cars where you can use the cloud to push a destination to the car. On the BMW/Mini vehicles, it would show up in the "inbox/alerts" of the car to then open into maps. In other cars, like the Tesla, it would just start the nav running automatically when you next got in the car. So, def cool to have that... it'd be nice for Volvo to have this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
...or maybe it's a forthcoming feature? Considering a lot of us on v1.7 are getting the "charged enough to continue trip" notification even when no route is entered-- it may be a feature that will be unlocked soon?

FWIW -- I've had other cars where you can use the cloud to push a destination to the car. On the BMW/Mini vehicles, it would show up in the "inbox/alerts" of the car to then open into maps. In other cars, like the Tesla, it would just start the nav running automatically when you next got in the car. So, def cool to have that... it'd be nice for Volvo to have this.
I agree about this being a cool feature to have. I use it quite a bit....I look up something on my phone then just send it to my car. I get in and it's already loaded, ready to go....I don't have to mess with getting it set up. I asked about this with at the dealer and they looked at me like I was nuts, and why would I ever want/need such a feature. :rolleyes:

The "Ultimate City Cruiser".

·
Registered
44 Posts

Yeah, if you go to Google Maps' "send to car", it currently works with BMW/Mini, Kia, Hyundai, and one other I think.

Would be great to get it for the Volvo.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the app had the ability to send to car? Then again my P8 has never worked. Looking forward to getting to see if our 22 P8 is any better?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
When I was going to Whistler I got booked and send it to phone google calendar. After google trips appeared on the phone noting the hotel location and day of the trip. Prior departure we got in the car and hotel destination appeared on Gmaps. All I have to do is to select it. Did not use voice.... still doing it with my hands 😃
I have to try to build a trip on the phone and see if it will appear on the car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Google Maps has always integrated with other Google services. For example, if you use Google Calendar, etc — then you will see Google make suggestions accordingly. That is great if you’re a heavy Google user; I am not. 99.9% of what I do lives in Apple’s iCloud family. As a matter of fact, as a huge proponent of Apple CarPlay, I tend(ed) to use that for most of my travels. It would pick up calendar events and suggest travel to them, and the latest iteration of Apple Maps works great!

(Side note: WAZE is still the best for routing in major metro areas; Cleveland, Ohio is hardly big enough to matter LOL)

When I picked up my Polestar, which runs the same AAOS as my wife’s XC40, I decided to give Google Maps a shot. Now when I search on Google Maps (desktop or mobile), those results will also show up as recently viewed in the car. So @XC90_Dinosaur you are right that there is sharing across platforms, as well as apps. But I use Apple iCal and don’T have any data on Google Calendar— so it provides zero benefit here sadly for me.

Interestingly, Tesla’s work around for this was brilliant. Your companion app (iOS & Android) would ask for access to your calendar. Then, when you were in your car and connected via BT, there was some sort of data xfer going on between the car/phone (possibly via cloud? Not sure) and there is a Calendar view in Tesla vehicles that shows your calendar, and works with any platform because its simply your phone sharing the calendar to the Tesla app Which then xfer this data to the car. And this makes “stab-and-go” calendar events possible — a feature i loved in those vehicles.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Google Maps has always integrated with other Google services....
As a Google household, including Google (smart) home services, we were keenly interested in having a car that is completely integrated with the rest of our devices. It's the biggest reason we bought our XC40. About 20% of that functionality seems to be working at this point.

Right now, my destination search history shows up in the car, at least some of the time. And I can tell the car to turn on my home's landscape lights and interior lights when I arrive. But other functionality I've used before in android auto isn't working yet - sending a navigation route with multiple waypoints to the car, or asking the car to navigate to a contact name's address, or even having the car read a text message to me and letting me respond.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As a Google household, including Google (smart) home services, we were keenly interested in having a car that is completely integrated with the rest of our devices. It's the biggest reason we bought our XC40. About 20% of that functionality seems to be working at this point.

Right now, my destination search history shows up in the car, at least some of the time. And I can tell the car to turn on my home's landscape lights and interior lights when I arrive. But other functionality I've used before in android auto isn't working yet - sending a navigation route with multiple waypoints to the car, or asking the car to navigate to a contact name's address, or even having the car read a text message to me and letting me respond.
FWIW you may have done this already. To get text messages read and sent.

Settings, applications, special app access, notifications access, google assistant, turn the toggle on.

Also make sure your phone has bluetooth on and notifications on.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Thanks for sharing this. I do have a few contacts still sitting out in my GMAIL/Google account but I don’t think any of them have street addresses just emails, and frankly not even sure why those phantom contacts still sit out there. But I was in my car at one point and -did- see their names, but since no addresses no way to test that. So you’re saying it wont navigate to addresses that way? Will it navigate to addresses that are pulled from your phone Bluetooth contact syncing? I know that when i tell the car (under phone -> favorites, using my finger tips) to call my wife, it does ask me which phone number — but I’ve admittedly never tried this via voice Command prompt method.

(Side note: we are Apple HomeKit users, so Apple CarPlay always worked nice as geofencing as you approached home would show the garage door on the system, allowing you to open the door easily with a button press; a cool feature for sure— so i can appreciate the home automation you say does work)

RE: Way point routing —- I suspect this may take a while to implement, because there is a lot more magic going on in the native navigation system than what a normal google map needs to compute. What i mean by this is that the car is not just looking at a-to-b routing but also taking into account your SOC and end charge, so that it can alert you if charging stops are needed. That is just one easy step (if SOC at Pt-B is < X% then alert user)— but if you have MULTIPLE points, this is a LOT harder math. If the system allows just 2x way points its easy “so long as A/B/C have SOC% above X then ok, otherwise, alert” — but there could need to be MANY stop s— thinks about it as a flow chart and i am sure you follow what i am saying. I suspect this is why Tesla only just this week rolled out waypoints. Heck, they didn’t even have “routing via supercharger” for the first 2-3 years of their existence.

But i digress…. It’s great to hear from a goog user what does/doesnt actually work as flawlessly as one might want. And frankly kind of surprised too…

·
Registered
388 Posts
FWIW you may have done this already. To get text messages read and sent.

Settings, applications, special app access, notifications access, google assistant, turn the toggle on.

Also make sure your phone has bluetooth on and notifications on.
Thank you for your help!
Interestingly I had a blank screen showing in Settings->applications->special app access->notifications access. Nothing available to turn on.
I did find than my phone's bluetooth settings didn't have messaging turned on. Once I turned it on, I could get texts in the car, and after receiving a text and asking the car to play it, I then could allow google assistant notifications access.

·
Registered
388 Posts
...But I was in my car at one point and -did- see their names, but since no addresses no way to test that. So you’re saying it wont navigate to addresses that way? Will it navigate to addresses that are pulled from your phone Bluetooth contact syncing? ...
I'm not sure if the car got my contacts' info from Bluetooth or from the Google cloud; they are the same as the phone is constantly sync'd to the cloud.

If I type a contact name into Google Maps' search box, that person and their address does show up in search results. I can tap that name and the car will navigate to their address.

But if I use voice to enter the same name in the Google Maps search box, or if I ask the car "navigate to <contact name>", it will either navigate me to a random person or business with the same name, without giving me a choice, or will tell me it can't find it. It's as if Google Assistant hasn't been given permission to use the contacts data, though Maps has.

·
Registered
12 Posts

That's interesting.........I have AAOS read me the text message and also I respond to them as well all the time. It asks after I have read the message, would I like to respond. Have you allowed permissions to access your text messages?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts