Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there’s a comprehensive list of voice commands somewhere? The manual is super skimpy on the subject and just gives a couple of examples.

Related to this, does anyone know a working incantation to select music to play via Bluetooth? Seriously everything I’ve tried tries to use YouTube Music. I’ve resorted to using “hey Siri” but this doesn’t work well with my phone in my pocket.

I’m also interested in how to set climate to automatic, I can get it to send air to, say, feet but haven’t found the magic words to undo it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's Google so there isn't a list of commands. AI is used to recognize what your intent is from what you say.

What you are interested in is a list of functions that you can access via voice commands, yeah, I know, semantics.

You should be able to do almost anything you can do from the screen via voice. It will specifically tell you when it can't do something (like open the windows.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like most, I was never impressed with voice commands on any of my previous cars. Ended up never using it.

Having google respond to my voice on the P8 was one of the features that attracted me to the car. And it didn't disappoint on my first ride home after delivery. I needed to be home by a certain time, so halfway I asked google "what time will I arrive home?" It's responded "You haven't setup a home address yet ... would you like to do that now?" I said "yes" and it immediately started to ask me the address ... and then brought up navigation info for it. Never before was setting up my home address so simply on a car.

While google in our cars can help with most car settings, I now find I like to ask it random internet queries. This comes in handy on those commutes where I'm thinking about some problem (work or home related) and will often use internet searches to help along my thoughts. Before, I needed to wait until I got to my destination ... ah progress.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I like fan up/down as I use this a lot and it is a pain to do on the screen whilst driving. One of my few design complaints is a lack of a mechanical fan knob.

navigate mute/unmute is handy and another pita to do whilst moving.

·
Registered
262 Posts
How about a list of things Google can't control in the car? Just the other day I tried "Google, turn off Daytime Running Lights". She replied "Sorry, but I'm not able to control that function".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since the June update removed the steering wheel control for Pilot Assist (a terrible change), I was hoping 'Turn on Pilot Assist' would work, but sadly no.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2021
8 Posts
My suspicion would be that anything vaguely safety related would not be able to be voice controlled. If a misunderstood command turned the lights off, who would be to blame in the event of a crash?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Having Google's cloud AI in the dash was the number one reason I was interested in the XC40. Glad it turned out to be a great vehicle too. We often ask for the yelp rating of a busy restaurant we are driving past, and other random questions.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, to be more direct, has anyone successfully played Bluetooth music via voice command?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts