Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get anything other than door lock/unlock with VOC - no climate control or charge status. The car is paired with my iPhone XS [IOS 14.6] and the car software was updated June 14. The app has my correct info, including the car's VIN.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2021
25 Posts
Same for me. I'm in the UK, only door lock/unlock working. The dealer told me VOC wouldn't work at all but it does.
There is no mobile coverage where I live, but it seems to work via bluetooth when I'm near the car, a little bluetooth icon appears on the app screen when it is connected.
It worked via the internet when the car had a mobile connection, but doesn't work at home when the car is connected to my home WiFi network.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here is the response I got from Volvo, when I informed them that the VOC app is not consistently working:

Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars and I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused. At this time, the hybrid and electric car charging status is not visible from the home screen in the new user interface and does not indicate that the car is charging. We are currently working on a fix to this concern that will be available soon. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge, Sage Green
9 Posts
When I first installed the app on my Android phone about a month ago, I had the same issue every time I opened the app, only door lock/unlock which was the least useful feature. Today I thought I would try on my iPhone to see if I had better luck, but I was not able to pair more that one phone with one account so I thought I might unpair the Android phone but first we decided to setup my wife's Android phone with her car profile. After going through the setup process with all 3 keys in the vehicle, her app showed the same issue. However when I switched back to my car profile and restarted the app, everything worked. It showed charge status and I could start climate from the app. We switched back to my wife's profile, she force closed her app then restarted it, and everything worked on her app also. I never did try on the iPhone because I was too hesitant about unpairing, but my suggestion would be to try on another car profile.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Many may know this already but when pre-cooling through the App, currently there’s only Start and Stop option. When activated, the ”comfortable temperature” referenced on the manual is Confirmed to be 72 degrees (not specified on manual).
i had activated it through App, then later entered the car where on the Infotainment it says along the line “Stop/Start cooling/heating at 72 degrees?”. I selected “Stop”. Once stop, and since it’s already recognizing weight on Drivers side, it immediate switches AC on to the temperature you set on the car.
Perhaps in the future when VOC is officially fully functional for all, you get to select the temperature of your choice (like Tesla - that would be nice)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
So I have the latest update and my Android app just says will not work with Recharge, I tried my iPad and at least I don’t get the keys issues any more, but it goes right back to the pair screen. I suspect it really want a phone and an iPad will not work. Never regretted a car as much as this car, never felt like I was driving a prototype that is not complete. How hard is this?

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
261 Posts
Perhaps the app is being contrary because you’re not calling it by its proper name.
Updates from June 2021
Applies to XC40 Recharge Pure Electric:

• Volvo On Call app has changed name to Volvo Cars App; also launched with refreshed design.
Seriously, it’s been 3 weeks and I am lucky to still have the app working. And, it’s continued to work through 1 app update (to ver. 5.1 - iOS) and one iOS upgrade (to ver. 15 public beta). It does glitch occasionally, but it has always come back with the big 3 functions — Lock/Unlock, Climate and SOC. When it’s charging it shows the plug avatar and the time when charging will be complete. When I pre-condition it shows the air flow from the vents and the time it will finish (30 minutes after start). Can I attribute why it works to superior knowledge or talent. No. I think I was lucky to get the stars to align on my 3rd try with one factory reset. Should it be so hard get this app to work? If you watched the Volvo Tech Moment presentation on connectivity, no it shouldn’t be this hard. It should be stupid easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the response I got from Volvo, when I informed them that the VOC app is not consistently working:

Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars and I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused. At this time, the hybrid and electric car charging status is not visible from the home screen in the new user interface and does not indicate that the car is charging. We are currently working on a fix to this concern that will be available soon. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,
Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
The way I see it, there are two acceptable paths….
1) Go to Dealer for updates - That’s only possible if Service Depts are educated and knowledgeable of what they are, what changes/ benefits including risks of snafus and how to “fix” them
— This is done as a short term support structure while consistently providing updates on milestones of OTA
2) OTA - Without ANY Dealer dependency

The frustration here is Volvo is burning both ends of the candle…..

1) OTA is “sold” with a moving target of ”readiness” (if there’s one) resulting in Customers guessing with much anticipation which eventually turns into disappointment especially without reliable updates
2) Majority of Dealers across N.America are clueless, but what’s even worse, is making unverified statements/conclusions which further frustrate Customers leading into trust issues

Simply put, you can’t have it both ways - it may just ”kill” the brand before it even gets started in the EV world. But MOST importantly, regardless of which path, as the 1st generation EV, Volvo should have a dedicated customer support just for ALL P8 related matters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I share the concerns of others here, but I think some people are overly upset about VOC. We were advised at the time of purchase/lease (at least I was) that VOC would not be operable until July. I think it's all coming, so be patient. I can't really blame Volvo considering the the pandemic. They had a tough choice to make: delay delivery for an additional 6 - 12 months for all those of us who ordered on line, or deliver a car that had unfinished software.

But more importantly, just how essential is VOC anyway? I owned a Leaf bought new in 2011. It had a similar feature called Carwings. I loved being able to start the car's heater from my home computer in the winter when I was about to leave for the gym so that I didn't have to climb into a 35º car in my shorts and T-shirt. But the Leaf had a crappy heater and no seat heater. I could also start the charging with Carwings, but then I could set the timer in the car or on my wall charging unit to whatever schedule I wanted, so I never used that. After two years or so AT&T discontinued their 2G network, which was what Carwings used, and the feature was no longer available. I froze for a while on winter mornings and was disgruntled until I just began wearing sweats until I got to the gym. Problem solved. After a few months I got totally used to its absence and didn't miss Carwings. The Volvo has a great heater and AC and a good moon roof setup, too, so that it's easy to get the right heat/cool combo very quickly. The charging timing can be controlled with a home charging unit, although there should also be a dashboard control for that, I agree. The bottom line is that VOC is more of a gimmick than a necessity and in any event will probably be fully functional very soon. I love the P8 and am very happy with my choice. It's superior in every way I can think of and by a large margin. I'm looking forward more to other software enhancements like being able to add Pandora and c:Geo to the apps and being able to play mp3s from the USB port.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree that VOC (or should we call it VC, now?) is a nice add-on, and am looking forward to it working reliably very soon. I was prepared for it not to work initially, and am not too stressed over it.

It's unfortunate though, that VOC setup requires all 3 keys - which exposed a very real screw-up on Volvo's part. Unfinished software is one thing, but total confusion with their dealers over how many keys people were supposed to receive is quite another. I was fortunate to receive 3 keys from my dealer, but others here obviously did not.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
261 Posts
I share the concerns of others here, but I think some people are overly upset about VOC.

But more importantly, just how essential is VOC anyway?
The app itself is a nice-to-have. But, it’s Indicative of a product was not ready to introduce. The XC40 PHEV has a VOC app, so it’s not unreasonable to expect the XC40 Recharge P8 to have the same functionality. Volvo’s mistake was to ditch the Sensus Connect system that powered the XC40 PHEV infotainment for an unproven infotainment OS. They wind up not mastering the app APIs in time for release and cut back the features. That results in a VOC app that will work with ICE and PHEV models but not the BEV. WTH? I paid more for less? No offense intended, but the Nissan Leaf is not in the same league as the P8.

I agree the P8 has good mechanicals and 402 hp AWD is fun to drive (w/ 19”wheels). But the technology failures, both failure to work and failure to deliver, do not inspire confidence in the engineering team that also works on the technology that powers, propels and stops the P8. Couple engineering failure with the failure to communicate honestly and specifically about how the rollout was fumbled and how it plans to fix it makes me question everything Volvo says or promises afterwards. Volvo’s Tech Moment said to me that everyone in Gothenburg is moving past the XC40 and focusing on the 2 gen and 3 gen models. Pile on top that the company is looking to IPO by year end and now I question the long term viability of the company.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I was told by Volvo the the June update would fix many of the issue with pairing and such, so they can’t even get their story straight. So far the driving has been great and a pleasure. I am getting about the efficiency I expected, maybe a tad more, knowing this was not high on the EV efficiency spectrum. As others have said Volvo’s communication direct or through their dealers is a mess. One buys a higher name car for the experience as much as the car, if I wanted a crappy brand dealer experience I would have bought a Leaf or Mach-E. Couple the experience and lack of communication with stupid things like tires (20s) that are impossible to find and really buggy incomplete software and when you pay $60K you start to feel like you got ripped off. I knew some of the risk, but Volvo has really has not made this easy. And my dealer said nothing about features missing or incomplete, which I knew of by reading up before hand, but if you are the average person that sees the XC40 as a viable car and then gets surprised with the incompleteness or bugginess you will form an optioning of Volvo that may out loads the car. Even though the wife’s T5 (1600 miles) has been flawless the odds of either of us buying or r3commending Volvo is pretty near 0.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I was told by Volvo the the June update would fix many of the issue with pairing and such, so they can’t even get their story straight. So far the driving has been great and a pleasure. I am getting about the efficiency I expected, maybe a tad more, knowing this was not high on the EV efficiency spectrum. As others have said Volvo’s communication direct or through their dealers is a mess. One buys a higher name car for the experience as much as the car, if I wanted a crappy brand dealer experience I would have bought a Leaf or Mach-E. Couple the experience and lack of communication with stupid things like tires (20s) that are impossible to find and really buggy incomplete software and when you pay $60K you start to feel like you got ripped off. I knew some of the risk, but Volvo has really has not made this easy. And my dealer said nothing about features missing or incomplete, which I knew of by reading up before hand, but if you are the average person that sees the XC40 as a viable car and then gets surprised with the incompleteness or bugginess you will form an optioning of Volvo that may out loads the car. Even though the wife’s T5 (1600 miles) has been flawless the odds of either of us buying or r3commending Volvo is pretty near 0.
When you say told by Volvo do you mean from an official in Sweden? Or your dealership as we have all been told things by our dealerships :)

I suppose the fact that there are so many posts on voc ( the not meant to be working software ) means that the car in general is doing fine abs we are all focused on this **** app that we would like to have working but as rat said and I has been said many times it is not meant to be working yet.

As to other companies doing it better. This made me chuckle a little.

enjoy :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
For clarity. Not chucking at the power loss happening as it is dangerous. More the thank god Volvo fixed our problem with this months ago sort of chuckle

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
When you say told by Volvo do you mean from an official in Sweden? Or your dealership as we have all been told things by our dealerships :)

Volvo via their customer support in US. I do think they were guessing a bit, I don't think anyone in Volvo other than the engineers has a clue what will be ready when. They kept telling me they were sending my complaints to the district manager, but when I asked fro a conversation I was told no.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
As to other companies doing it better. This made me chuckle a little.

I still don't get the need for the 12V battery, they can easily convert 800V or 400V to 12V. I do understand that the 12V is what I believe closes the contacts to energize the 400V to the powertrain, but again siphon off via a convertor. And to kill power when in motion becasue 12V dies that is odd, and then why so many 12V batteries are losing charge when in motion?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I believe 99% of current owners are loving the Car, and I personally can’t get enough of it - im out of errands to run, looking for every excuse to drive it. All were also aware it’s a 1st generation, and subconsciously, wasn’t expecting perfection. Rather, the overall excitement of what it ALREADY has to offer….

Unfortunately, the bad taste started for some when….
Some Dealers were upfront with Disclaimers while most assured Customers that “everything was in working order”. Then when the blind promises got stomped, and the delivery in terms of Dealer/Service support were next to non-existence (again, for some unfortunate ones), the domino’s affect started quick. On top of that, when mechanical issues occur and Dealers have zero clue, or expertise to provide credible feedback, the road becomes even muddier….. perhaps these are exceptions, I hope the road does get better for some.

Perhaps under promise and over deliver remains most beneficial, then no one is blind sided, eliminating disappointments etc. However, these Dealers NEED to have qualified and knowledgeable techs for the next few years until the storm clears….

I’m off to the theater for Fast and Furious…..truly fitting to the P8 :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Agreed there have been many bad flavors. Never thought getting a new car would be so stressful and would leave me just feeling bad. Lucky car rocks :)

According toone of my polls most people had a great experience with their sales people. Which is good as Volvo will survive.

Good luck with your movie. Envious. The outside world looks fun and I am chaffing to get back in my car and see it.

Reactions: He Keith

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
I cannot get anything other than door lock/unlock with VOC - no climate control or charge status. The car is paired with my iPhone XS [IOS 14.6] and the car software was updated June 14. The app has my correct info, including the car's VIN.
That information just doesn't sound right. I can see my car charging and climate control just fine. Please try the following suggestions (not a complete list of trouble-shooting ideas):
  • Reboot the infotainment: Press and hold the home button on the center display for 20 seconds.
  • Reboot the cellular modem: Press and hold the Defrost button for 20 seconds, or until the tiny 'LTE' symbol changes in the upper-left corner of the infotainment screen. (the modem will restart)
  • Turn off the WiFi feature in the car menu. (not sure about this one, but it did cause me a problem once and I needed to turn it off for the app to communicate properly)
  • Try pairing blue tooth to your phone and then use the app while inside the car for the 1st time. (subsequently, you should be able without blue tooth)
NOTE: I use an android phone and if I noticed that the app didn't fully populate after waiting 20 seconds initially. If that happens, kill the app and reopen it to let it sync fully.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts