Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I at last have enough data points to put another straw of VoC knowledge on the pile.

This is in regards to the VoC working then stopping.

The behavior is as follows:

1. Voc works.
2. After a period of time voc stops working. The car has not been used or moved. It does not return until
4. After using the car Voc works again. Rinse and repeat.

The missing piece that kicked my brain is

3. When you get in the car central console does the Volvo screen. In other words it is rebooting.

This is the same/similar to the behavior I called the deep Sleep or long nap that fixes things. However in the voc case when the car hits the fully powered down nap phase it looses connectivity and hence voc is lost.

It seems the deep nap is the enemy of continuous long term voc communication when you are not using the car for a while.

Alas our car gets undriven for a week sometimes as I cannot medically always drive so I got to noticed this pattern of voc behavior over the past few months.

Honestly not bothered by voc being twitchy. I just like to understand the patterns of things :)

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem while delivering your message to [email protected]. Gmail will retry for 45 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.
LEARN MORE
Warning!This link will take you to a third-party site

I tried to use Volvo app to send a note. Undeliverable. See above. App simply doesn't work properly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem while delivering your message to [email protected]. Gmail will retry for 45 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.
LEARN MORE

I tried to use Volvo app to send a note. Undeliverable. See above. App simply doesn't work properly.
OK, I'll be "that guy": Technically, the "App" sent this email perfectly. Your Gmail server received it, and tried to deliver. The failure message is from Volvo's misconfigured (or broken) incoming email server. Still, amateur hour either way.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
I at last have enough data points to put another straw of VoC knowledge on the pile.

This is in regards to the VoC working then stopping.

The behavior is as follows:

1. Voc works.
2. After a period of time voc stops working. The car has not been used or moved. It does not return until
4. After using the car Voc works again. Rinse and repeat.

The missing piece that kicked my brain is

3. When you get in the car central console does the Volvo screen. In other words it is rebooting.

This is the same/similar to the behavior I called the deep Sleep or long nap that fixes things. However in the voc case when the car hits the fully powered down nap phase it looses connectivity and hence voc is lost.

It seems the deep nap is the enemy of continuous long term voc communication when you are not using the car for a while.

Alas our car gets undriven for a week sometimes as I cannot medically always drive so I got to noticed this pattern of voc behavior over the past few months.

Honestly not bothered by voc being twitchy. I just like to understand the patterns of things :)
Yeah, I’m still not seeing a pattern. The app wasn’t showing anything for days...went out to unplug charger...car was locked...didn’t have key...had phone...phone connected with Bluetooth and I was able to unlock the car, unplug charge cable, and re-lock car with phone. App showed when door was open, then closed (as I opened the door to look at the screen). App still wouldn’t show SOC. Hmm. Then last night I went out I went out to plug in the car. It was unlocked and had been since earlier as we showed it off to some friends. I didn’t have the phone with me this time but did have the key. Plugged in charger and started charging, locked car with key. Came into house, opened app and wow, it showed car charging, SOC and estimated finish time. This AM it still shows same as last night (SOC when I plugged in charger, shows it’s still charging, and done at 13:57...I’m heading out now to check but I suspect charge is complete. Very random and odd.

·
Registered
236 Posts
OK, went out to car with phone and key...car was already locked. Charge complete. Pushed unlock button on charger, removed cable. locked car with key. Now app is not showing SOC at all, still showing car is unlocked, and not charging (correct). So basically it’s back to the “dummy” state it had been at for several days. Grrr!! I think it must have something to do with whether or not the car is connected to LTE/Mobile or not?

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
Delivery incomplete
LEARN MORE

They eventually respond. I had the same issue and they responded 2 days after.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, went out to car with phone and key...car was already locked. Charge complete. Pushed unlock button on charger, removed cable. locked car with key. Now app is not showing SOC at all, still showing car is unlocked, and not charging (correct). So basically it’s back to the “dummy” state it had been at for several days. Grrr!! I think it must have something to do with whether or not the car is connected to LTE/Mobile or not?
I also think it is the communication module (for some of us) that’s what the sleep pattern I noticed explained for my voc behavior. Car goes to sleep = communication goes down= voc goes by by until it wakes up.

This is not everyone’s Vic problems. Just 1 path of bad behavoir.

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
34 Posts
The internet connectivity suspending after a time period (few days?) is not new to the Recharge, this is designed behavior in the ICE XC40 2019 as well. It saves the 12V battery which is the batter these systems use (pretty darn sure about that). I'm pretty sure this is documented behavior. We'd be complaining if the car was using power when not being used for extended time period or if you went out to car and it didn't start because the 12v battery was depleted keeping an internet connection alive.

·
Registered
236 Posts
@He Keith do me a favour and in your app go onto the climate screen - does the roof show the correct colour there too? Mine shows red roof rails and a red spoiler (but still correct black roof). I wonder where the app is getting these images? I know it’s a petty gripe, but seeing yours seems to be showing the correct colour, I wonder why ours isn’t?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
@He Keith do me a favour and in your app go onto the climate screen - does the roof show the correct colour there too? Mine shows red roof rails and a red spoiler (but still correct black roof). I wonder where the app is getting these images? I know it’s a petty gripe, but seeing yours seems to be showing the correct colour, I wonder why ours isn’t?
Glasses Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Sports gear

·
Registered
514 Posts
The internet connectivity suspending after a time period (few days?) is not new to the Recharge, this is designed behavior in the ICE XC40 2019 as well. It saves the 12V battery which is the batter these systems use (pretty darn sure about that).
If they are deliberately suspending internet connectivity to save battery - then why even bother to have a remote app with status/start/precondition etc in the first place? You're saying those features SHOULD NOT WORK after after a few days? I would disagree with that.

Sure, the car could certainly go into some type of sleep mode to conserve power - but it would absolutely need to have some type of watchdog or Wake-On-Network feature to promptly restore that connection as soon as its needed. IMHO, the behavior people are seeing is a bug, clearly not working as designed.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The internet connectivity suspending after a time period (few days?) is not new to the Recharge, this is designed behavior in the ICE XC40 2019 as well. It saves the 12V battery which is the batter these systems use (pretty darn sure about that). I'm pretty sure this is documented behavior. We'd be complaining if the car was using power when not being used for extended time period or if you went out to car and it didn't start because the 12v battery was depleted keeping an internet connection alive.
That was what I suspected was happening. I get the logic of preserving the battery and fits the behavior I have been seeing.

I wonder how much power out 12 volt stores compared to say a cell phones battery?

If I put conditioning on for the cabin from remote does the 12 volt charge while the heater is on?

Does the 13 volt charge when the main battery is charging?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I dont bother using the key to lock the car, just touch the door handle or when I am closing the tailgate use the lock button on it. Got use to keeping the key in my pocket as when i had it in my hand kept throwing it in the console and leaving it there when i got out!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont bother using the key to lock the car, just touch the door handle or when I am closing the tailgate use the lock button on it. Got use to keeping the key in my pocket as when i had it in my hand kept throwing it in the console and leaving it there when i got out!!
If it was not for the ocd I would also lock it that way.
Love the fact I can walk away from the car and keep checking I locked it.

Also love the VC assurance that it is locked.

Reactions: Gaffaa

·
Registered
135 Posts
That was what I suspected was happening. I get the logic of preserving the battery and fits the behavior I have been seeing.

I wonder how much power out 12 volt stores compared to say a cell phones battery?

If I put conditioning [/https://www.xc40forum.com/threads/dead-battery-on-xc40-recharge.3509/#post-28788

If I put conditioning on for the cabin from remote does the 12 volt charge while the heater is on?

Does the 13 volt charge when the main battery is charging?
According to the below thread three batteries are present, with a small backup for telecommunications.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts