Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
267 Posts
There's one video app now in the app store. Unfortunately for me, it's one I don't subscribe to (Epix). Hopefully others are soon to follow like Netflix, Disney+, etc.
Browsing the Play store via the website, I actually see two related but separate apps: EPIX Stream with TV Package and EPIX NOW: Watch TV and Movies. I haven't tried installing either yet, but both say they're compatible with my "VolvoCars Volvo" device, which is what the Play store calls my car. I'll try them out next chance I get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Browsing the Play store via the website, I actually see two related but separate apps: EPIX Stream with TV Package and EPIX NOW: Watch TV and Movies. I haven't tried installing either yet, but both say they're compatible with my "VolvoCars Volvo" device, which is what the Play store calls my car. I'll try them out next chance I get.
One of the EPIX apps required a monthly subscription fee to use, but the other app allows you to access the EPIX library of movies if you already have EPIX service as part of your TV service, such as DirecTV, Xfinity, etc. I already have EPIX service with my TV subscription and was able to log into the service and actually tried out a couple of movies shorts, and it worked well. Sound comes out of the HK sound system, so it really added to the experience. Now I have something else to do while recharging. Now if they would only post ABRP in the App Store. Though, I have been really impressed with Google Maps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Post a screen shot? Is it showing 16:9 but it's just a small box in the center?

Hmm. Perhaps an iPad connected via BlueTooth to the HK speakers might be a nice option.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tried to log in using my Verizon credentials. It puts up a QR code, but using my phone didn't cause it to be registered.

----EDIT

Never mind. QR code worked. On relaunch app shows the Verizon logo meaning I am logged in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
One of the EPIX apps required a monthly subscription fee to use, but the other app allows you to access the EPIX library of movies if you already have EPIX service as part of your TV service, such as DirecTV, Xfinity, etc. I already have EPIX service with my TV subscription and was able to log into the service and actually tried out a couple of movies shorts, and it worked well. Sound comes out of the HK sound system, so it really added to the experience. Now I have something else to do while recharging. Now if they would only post ABRP in the App Store. Though, I have been really impressed with Google Maps.
I checked them both out today and was confused because they seemed to be virtually identical apps, but eventually I looked in the help on each and read the "what is EPIX/EPIX NOW" answers and came to understand like you said, that one is for folks who have EPIX as part of a cable subscription, the other is a standalone subscription service.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I’m able to access Epix movies through Amazon Prime. I’ll try later to see if it works.

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, it is a cinematic display, but it is a good start. Something to do while fast charging. There are some good movies available on the service.
Stopped tonight to get frozen custard, and my wife and I watched the first part of a movie on EPIX While parked. The video quality was very good and the sound through the HK system was excellent. Another viable alternative for when we need to use a DC Fast Charger on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this helpful feedback. Can you please share which cable provider you use? We're Cox Cable customers, and while the app downloaded from the Playstore just fine and we can see and hear the trailers (really nice quality), we've been unable to activate the EPIX service via the QR code displayed on our XC40 P8 screen. I've already opened a ticket with EPIX who wrote back to inform me that Volvo electric vehicles are not among their supported devices - why am I not surprised by that guidance? :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for this helpful feedback. Can you please share which cable provider you use? We're Cox Cable customers, and while the app downloaded from the Playstore just fine and we can see and hear the trailers (really nice quality), we've been unable to activate the EPIX service via the QR code displayed on our XC40 P8 screen. I've already opened a ticket with EPIX who wrote back to inform me that Volvo electric vehicles are not among their supported devices - why am I not surprised by that guidance? :D
I am using Xfinity. I had trouble activating also. But I kept at it and finally got a confirmation on the Volvo screen after restarting the app. I was then able to watch the trailers. When I tried to watch a movie initially, I got a Restircted Content message. Tried to watch the movie again and got the same restricted content message, but when I touched the OK button, this time the movie started. I guess persistence works. Doesn’t surprise me that EPIX doesn’t know how to do this since it is so new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, thanks for that info... definitely helpful. No luck yet, other than playing trailers, but I'm working on it - and so are the EPIX support folks. I think you're quite right - this service is so new to this platform that there are some kinks yet to work out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The web version of the Google Play store is now showing another new video app called "myCANAL, TV en live et replay" as being compatible with my car. It's a French language streaming video app for customers of the Canal+ premium TV channel. I haven't tried installing it yet, and it probably won't be of much use to me since I don't speak French or have Canal+, but it's good to see more apps trickling into the Play Store for Android Automotive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts