Volvo XC40 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are saying its normal vibration from ""the torque converter in lockup mode dependng on the load"
It's not the torque converter. I tested this on mine. Get up to the speed where you have the vibration and put the car in neutral. The vibration will not change. Rev the engine in neutral and it will not change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It's not the torque converter. I tested this on mine. Get up to the speed where you have the vibration and put the car in neutral. The vibration will not change. Rev the engine in neutral and it will not change.
Ya know.. youre right because I actually forgot I had even tried that before the field tech even came out. So, what are you thinking it is?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
This was just posted on another forum

Re: Vibrations @55-80mph
Post by Elvo57 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:40 am

More inconsistencies….

Wheels swapped with an identical model but with 3,000 more miles on the clock. Drove them back to back with the engineer driving (fault more noticeable in the passenger seat) and the resonance noise stayed with our car. The donor car with our wheels fitted was noticeably better (but still not perfect), hence the mechanic has ruled out wheels/tyres. This he reported back to Volvo and argued with them that the road force balancing (mandated on the 11 point check) would be a waste of time.

End of last week we had the front drive shafts swapped with a new car (destined to be a demonstrator) This was Volvo’s next step in their investigation.

The loan car was an XC40 Momentum FWD, D3 Manual on 18” wheels. The resonance/thrumming noise was still evident in this vehicle, but to a lesser extent (let’s say 1/3 as bad as ours). Our previous loan car was an XC60, D4 R-Design with air suspension and 21” wheels. Overall generally much quieter but spoilt with tyre noise (21” wheels?), clunking suspension over minor bumps (air suspension?) and more wind noise than the XC40 from 60mph (mirrors?). The resonance noise was also there but very distant in the background and had to be really searched for… otherwise it would probably have gone unnoticed.

The new drive shafts made absolutely no difference to the resonance and vibration (just as bad). Technician is now reporting this back to Volvo.

In answer to ChrisLF’s observation on the gear box… the original salesman said that the engines and gearboxes were not shared with any other manufacturer!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The automatic transmission on the XC40 is made by Aisin and is used in many different brands such as BMW, Mini, Landrover, Lexus and Toyota. It may have a Volvo Part number but not a unique transmission - may have programming unique to Volvo however.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just picked up my XC40 Momentum with 20 inch wheels on April 27. Drove to work on the 29th. Once I reach about 65 mph, I start to feel a vibration in the front of the car and steering wheel. Once I hit 70 mph, it becomes very noticeable. I did confirm with a few other owners in an XC40 Facebook group that they are also experiencing the same issue. They have had their wheels balanced, had alignments, etc and nothing fixed this issue. I spoke with the salesman and he just told me to have service look at it. I just want to know if this is a known issue and if others here are experiencing this. I dont want to have to deal with the service dept not really knowing how to fix it and will file a lemon law claim if this is something that cant be rectified. I really love this car in all aspects except this one annoying issue. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I had the same experience. The tires are shipped from the Volvo factory with foam liners in the tires which may come loose or shift which causes the vibration. Have your dealer remove the liners and rebalance the tires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I had the same experience. The tires are shipped from the Volvo factory with foam liners in the tires which may come loose or shift which causes the vibration. Have your dealer remove the liners and rebalance the tires.
Tires were road force balanced and all 4 were replaced. Didnt correct the issue. After visiting a 3rd dealer and after they replaced 2 front axles and rotors, they found a defective tire. Replaced two tires. A month after the car driving normally, the vibration reared its ugly head again. I now filed lemon law. Im over Volvo and their garbage customer service and inept service technicians. Pirelli tires are garbage. One of the replacement tires that were sent to the dealer was even defective.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My vibration has been taken care of for now. Went in for my first service and mentioned the problem and my vibrating brake rotors and weird transmission behavior. They rotated the tires since they were off to do the brakes (they did not balance the tires) and they did various software updates. It drives like a different car now and the vibrations are 98% gone. Most people would never notice it.

·
163 Posts
So I hate to reopen such an old thread but I believe this is still relevant. I started getting a front end vibration at higher speeds after 20k miles. I'm now at 27k. It's worse on smooth pavement so dealer and I both think it seems like the tires are feathered. That's usually caused by an alignment issue but dealer is saying they see and feel no objective indication that the alignment is off and so wouldn't do one under warranty / Care by Volvo. Just curious if those who were complaining about a high speed vibration last year ultimately found any resolution. I love to drive and am very sensitive to anything being off with the car.. I keep them in great shape for that reason. So this vibration is not something I want to accept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Weird that the tires they swapped out didnt have the vibration on the car they took them off of though. My issue actually seems worse now. Thanks for the input. I did google vibration issues on those tires and do see what you said. Im just wondering how they are going to put new tires on if they dont even have a road force balancing machine at the dealership...
It’s not the tires, i have the same issue with 18” pirelli pzero, still don’t know the reason. My car was fine and it started having this issue after 7k miles

61 - 70 of 70 Posts